I Might Be In The Minority With Thinking This..

YoungHeezy

But I think Greg Robinson is way too raw as a pass protector to spend the 6th pick on and stick at right tackle with how much we pass, and Jake Matthews doesn't seem physical enough at ALL to man the right side. We have a oft injured "technician" on the left side of the line already, and while Sam Baker performs relatively well when he isn't hurt, I don't think it would be ideal to draft a LT to play RT (even though he played it in college). I honestly expect both tackles to get worked over as rookies, even tho Robinson from a physical standpoint has tremendous upside.

Taylor Lewan seems to be the most rugged of the group in both phases (run blocking and pass blocking) and would be my T of choice if we traded down rather than up for a pass rusher.

But I think Greg Robinson is way too raw as a pass protector to spend the 6th pick on and stick at right tackle with how much we pass, and Jake Matthews doesn't seem physical enough at ALL to man the right side. We have a oft injured "technician" on the left side of the line already, and while Sam Baker performs relatively well when he isn't hurt, I don't think it would be ideal to draft a LT to play RT (even though he played it in college). I honestly expect both tackles to get worked over as rookies, even tho Robinson from a physical standpoint has tremendous upside.

Taylor Lewan seems to be the most rugged of the group in both phases (run blocking and pass blocking) and would be my T of choice if we traded down rather than up for a pass rusher.

I dont think Robinson would be too raw for the right side. If you want him to come in and be your LT I think it would be a different story. But I do agree Matthews would be a wasted pick if you want him to play RT.

I agree 100%. Last thing we need is a project Olinemen

I would hardly call Greg Robinson a 'project.' He is physical freak, and just because Auburn ran the ball every play doesn't mean he's unable to pass protect. I agree that Matthews is the most sure thing at OT, but it's a matter of high floor vs high ceiling.

I trust our FO to be able to decipher if his supposed deficiency in pass blocking warrants overlooking everything else he does incredibly. If our coaches can polish up that pass blocking then I'm all in.

Keep in mind that we need to be able to run the ball more. Smitty has mentioned that we need to and will.

Robinson is an athletic freak and will be one of the best OLineman in the league in a few years. I think he can pass protect now, but will struggle some with recognizing who to block.

Mathews is very solid and I think he will be a very good tackle right out of he gate.

Clowney .....period

I love watching the defense especially when there is a marquee guy on the team just fun to watch, but if the Falcons keep ignoring the OL, Ryan is gonna get blasted and we can look forward to another year or 2 picking in the top 6. That said think Mack Clowney and Robinson is off the boards and they go Matthews

I can see why people would think that, but I think Robinson would be just fine at RT. He has the power/athleticism to handle it and won't be facing a teams #1 pass rusher anyways.

I also believe Matthews would be fine over there as well. I think he is solid enough of an OT to put him on either side. I do believe he is better suited for LT, but i see an obvious upgrade over the guys we have there right now.

I can see why people would think that, but I think Robinson would be just fine at RT. He has the power/athleticism to handle it and won't be facing a teams #1 pass rusher anyways.

I also believe Matthews would be fine over there as well. I think he is solid enough of an OT to put him on either side. I do believe he is better suited for LT, but i see an obvious upgrade over the guys we have there right now.

His inexperience as a pass protector is the reason why I view him as a project.

Teams move their #1 pass rushers around more than ever in today's NFL so he will see some top pass rushers in games with teams that have one. There are also some left-side edge rushers that are either a #1 or a #2 pass rusher that is good enough to be a #1 in the NFL.

He has not really had to block pass rushers on an island in college, which he will have to do in the NFL. Robinson is very athletic and powerful but he will still have to sharpen his technique skills as a pass protector or else his athletic ability will not mean much.

If the Falcons take an OT at 6, he should be more proven as a pass protector than what Robinson is so far if you want him to solidify Ryan's protection from day 1.

His inexperience as a pass protector is the reason why I view him as a project.

Teams move their #1 pass rushers around more than ever in today's NFL so he will see some top pass rushers in games with teams that have one. There are also some left-side edge rushers that are either a #1 or a #2 pass rusher that is good enough to be a #1 in the NFL.

He has not really had to block pass rushers on an island in college, which he will have to do in the NFL. Robinson is very athletic and powerful but he will still have to sharpen his technique skill as a pass protector or else his athletic ability will not mean much.

If the Falcons take an OT at 6, he should be more proven as a pass protector than what Robinson is so far if you want him to solidify Ryan's protection from day 1.

Yeah i think the better way to describe his pass protection skills as more of an "unknown" than flat out bad. We will see how he does 1v1 against an NFL DE, but he has the physical tools to do it. More so than most O lineman coming out of the draft. I think it will make his learning curve alot easier.

I've been saying this for the longest. Matthews doesn't wow me, Johnny football improvised the whole year & Robinson is just to raw. If we go OT in the 1st Lewan is the nasty tough lineman we need

I rather have Matthews or trade down for Lewan, that's if both Mack and Clowney are gone.

No way Jack! Most have Greg Robinson in the top 4. He's a badazz. Some of you cats are going to Fin crawl up into the fetal position and cry if Atlanta takes a tackle. I mean it's so prevalent on these boards it ridiculous. We all see Grob on film where he dominates the **** out of everyone and occasionally gets outmaneuvered by a finesse, speed rusher. The facts are it ain't nearly half as bad as some of you are saying. Auburn ran the dam football and you folks know it. Grob is as good a talent as there has been in 10 years at tackle and has every stinking tool in the book to enable him to pick up his pass blocking skills. I swear some of you dudes are setting yourselves up for some serious disappointment. You have your hands over your ears, humming...so that you don't have to hear anything about us nabbing a big badazz tackle. I would be one happy mofo if that joker was staring at us at #6!! You can bet your butt that if Grob was sitting there I think TD would sprint to the podium with our card...

No way Jack! Most have Greg Robinson in the top 4. He's a badazz. Some of you cats are going to Fin crawl up into the fetal position and cry if Atlanta takes a tackle. I mean it's so prevalent on these boards it ridiculous. We all see Grob on film where he dominates the **** out of everyone and occasionally gets outmaneuvered by a finesse, speed rusher. The facts are it ain't nearly half as bad as some of you are saying. Auburn ran the dam football and you folks know it. Grob is as good a talent as there has been in 10 years at tackle and has every stinking tool in the book to enable him to pick up his pass blocking skills. I swear some of you dudes are setting yourselves up for some serious disappointment. You have your hands over your ears, humming...so that you don't have to hear anything about us nabbing a big badazz tackle. I would be one happy mofo if that joker was staring at us at #6!! You can bet your butt that if Grob was sitting there I think TD would sprint to the podium with our card...

Geez! Lol!

But what happens to you if we don't pick an OT...

Geez! Lol!

But what happens to you if we don't pick an OT...

Hey I'm just reacting to what seems to be a mindset on the boards. But get this, I love the likes of mack or donald or whomever we get. I have no problems going in that direction although I would prefer Grob who is my favorite guy in the top 10. But I am prepared to go another direction.

Hey I'm just reacting to what seems to be a mindset on the boards. But get this, I love the likes of mack or donald or whomever we get. I have no problems going in that direction although I would prefer Grob who is my favorite guy in the top 10. But I am prepared to go another direction.

GRob is my favorite player in the top half of the draft as well but I just think it's bad value to draft a RT top 6 or a "just in case" player for Baker's injury.

So obviously I would be ecstatic if we got him but from a value standpoint I think we can use our rare top draft pick better.

Depends on what you need out of your tackles.

I'm a fan of getting a guy who can stand up to the bull rush (typically considered more of an RT type) and having them make their guy rush wide. If they have a strong base, and you tell them to make the guy run wide...you're fine as long as your interior provides a pocket. That way, the only way the guy really gets beat is to get off balance and get pushed back into the pocket...and a hefty base RT can keep from doing this.

Modern NFL goes a little bit more toward LT types, but if you have a strong interior, you can go to RT types, and not worry about them getting backed into the QB (a la Baker).

So, long story short: they don't have to be master technicians if you let their natural RT tendencies (hard to move) be part of how you design the pass protection