Is Trading Up Becoming More Likely?

General Manager Thomas Dimitroff will likely add FS Rafael Bush to fill the void left by long-time Falcon Thomas Decoud. Bush has made it clear that he would rather the Saints not match the Falcons offer and the Saints organization seem prepared to let him go:

- Signed FS Jairus Byrd

- Signed S Marcus Ball via Canadian League

- 2013 1st rd pick Kenny Vaccaro

- little cap space

Bush would be paired with good friend and all-pro safety William C4 Moore giving the Falcons a solid tandem of safeties and one of the better secondaries in the league (Moore, Bush, Trufant, Alford).

rafael-bush-percy-harvin-hit.jpg

bdd8a75a016dea3f0cd101764d0c54b7-img1.jpg

Many would agree that finding someone to fill the void at the free safety position is a major need for the Falcons, but if they are able to sign Rafael Bush, FS is no longer as pressing of a need as it was before. In search for a starting safety in the draft, the team would likely consider the second round the best option as OT/pass rusher would be the target in the first and the third is too late to find a starting caliber safety.

If the Falcons are able to sign Bush, it should give them more flexibility to shop their second round pick. While giving up this year's second round pick is not appealing, it would be necessary to move up into the 2nd overall pick and get an impact player such as, Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, or Khalil Mack.

Final Say: If Thomas Dimitroff decides to trade up, the team would get an instant impact player. On the other hand, such a move may leave the team with questions at (OT/pass rusher).

So the question then becomes which do you value more: a possible future hall of famer or filling needs with two promising players?

If the team signs Rafael Bush, does that increase the possibility of trading up in the draft?

Thoughts/Comments?

Edited by #1ATLFALCONSFAN

Final Say: If Thomas Dimitroff decides to trade up, the team would get an instant impact player. On the other hand, such a move may leave the team with questions at (OT/pass rusher).

We would get an instant impact player if we stayed at 6 just as we would if we traded up. While also keeping our 2nd round pick and getting another starter.

General Manager Thomas Dimitroff will likely add FS Rafael Bush to fill the void left by long-time Falcon Thomas Decoud. Bush has made it clear that he would rather the Saints not match the Falcons offer and the Saints organization seem prepared to let him go:

- Signed FS Jairus Byrd

- Signed S Marcus Ball via Canadian League

- 2013 1st rd pick Kenny Vaccaro

- little cap space

Bush would be paired with good friend and all-pro safety William C4 Moore giving the Falcons a solid tandem of safeties and one of the better secondaries in the league (Moore, Bush, Trufant, Alford).

Many would agree that finding someone to fill the void at the free safety position is a major need for the Falcons, but if they are able to sign Rafael Bush, FS is no longer as pressing of a need as it was before. In search for a starting safety in the draft, the team would likely consider the second round the best option as OT/pass rusher would be the target in the first and the third is too late to find a starting caliber safety.

If the Falcons are able to sign Bush, it should give them more flexibility to shop their second round pick. While giving up this year's second round pick is not appealing, it would be necessary to move up into the 2nd overall pick and get an impact player such as, Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, or Khalil Mack.

So the question then becomes which do you value more: a possible future hall of famer or filling needs with two promising players?

If the team signs Rafael Bush, does that increase the possibility of trading up in the draft?

Thoughts/Comments?

I don't think it increases the odds of trading up any at all. I do think that it decreases the odds of trading down. We still have 2 major positions of need and we're at a very good spot to fill both of those needs.

The most likely scenario IMO is that we draft OL in the 1st round, either Matthews or Robinson (prefer Matthews). That leaves the pass rusher hole to fill in round 2 where one of a group of players should be available (Ford, Van Noy, Shazier, Attaochu). This is almost the perfect scenario.

However, if Clowney or Mack somehow fell to 6, we could go that route as well and take an OL in the 2nd. The guys there would be Su'a-Filo, Yankee, Moses, Kouandjio, Mewhort.

Either route would be a much better option than trading up in this draft.

I see us either 1)staying put and drafting Mathews because Robinson, Mack, and Clowney will all be gone or 2)trading down a few spots maybe with Buffalo, acquiring an extra pick or two and drafting Anthony Barr.

Buffalo could definitely use a Jake Mathews type of player and they may make a play for him on draft day.

I think we have our options open and will not be constraint one way or another. I doubt we sell the farm to move up. Hopefully we hold on to that 2nd round pick...

That sounds just like TD lol

I think the trade possibility is incredibly high. However, I don't see us trading up. Rather, I see us trading back into the second or maybe trading down and trying to pickup 3 2nds. This years 2nd and early 3rd are going to change teams drastically..

I see us either 1)staying put and drafting Mathews because Robinson, Mack, and Clowney will all be gone or 2)trading down a few spots maybe with Buffalo, acquiring an extra pick or two and drafting Anthony Barr.

Buffalo could definitely use a Jake Mathews type of player and they may make a play for him on draft day.

Trading down is definitely a good option also but it would be awesome to finally get a player of Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, or Khalil Mack's caliber.

What is the fascination with trading up. I suppose it's the "I have something you don't have (HA HA)" mentality. The problem with that is, you must be careful what you wish for. A certain percentage of each round's picks are busts. As you go up the rounds the percentage of "busts" increases. So in the end the Draft is a numbers game. If we trade up with the Rams we will have to give up our 2nd and third round picks, or worse next years second round, as future picks are said to have discounted value. Does even the biggest Falcons fan believe that we are one great player away from a dynasty. Wasn't that the thought when we drafted Julio. We were one great receiver from a Superbowl. The problem with putting all your eggs in that one basket is that player must not only play great (not be a bust) but also stay healthy. Hasn't Julio missed significant playing time with injuries? In the end the great teams don't make a lot of trades (unless it's to trade with a Team desperate for a player). Those teams take the Best Player Available philosophy, use Free Agents to plug the gaps, and hope to get lucky with the draft.. We could increase our chances of getting lucky if TD was better at getting the bargains in the latter rounds (like Greg Hardy in the 5th was). Instead we get Lamar Holmes in the third. We shall see what TD does this year, but if TD trades away a bunch of picks for Clowney, I for one, will be thoroughly disappointed.

Edited by rootee

I agree. No chance are we trading up for an OT, in my opinion. I'd probably say that the order is Robinson, Matthews, Lewan at that position, but it's not a big enough difference that I'd give away picks in order to take one over the other.

If that's what it takes to get Clowney, Mack or Robinson... I hope so!

I am tired of these 10 deep Mock drafts without a superstar.

WE NEED A SUPERSTAR!!!! A Superstar lifts all boats: Willis makes Bowman better, Justin Smith makes the whole line better. Sherman makes the whole secondary better.

We can get all the pieces we want, but until we get a star, our defense will only improve incrementally.

The only chance Kroy and Spoon have to be impact players is on the back of a SUPERSTAR!!!!

Edited by jazzyburrell

If Buffalo really want Matthews, they wouldn't trade with us to get him. They would trade with a team like the Raiders before we are on the clock

I think its as likely as it ever was...maybe a little more.

I'll say this.....I'm swinging toward the "trade up" side a bit. Or at least becoming more comfortable with the idea.

I think this is an incredibly deep draft where quality players will be available into the 5th round. We've got 10 picks, 7 of which are high in the round. We should be able to move around a little bit as a result.

I'm just starting to think that there's a strong possibility that we could be left out in the cold at 6. Hypothetically, if:

Houston goes Clowney

St Louis goes Robinson

Jacksonville goes Mack

Cleveland goes Watkins

Oakland goes Matthews

What do we do? Now we're in this weird position where we're hoping we can trade down but there arent any really viable trade down partners that could give us the return we'd want. And there aren't any non-QBs likely to drive a market (unless we could get one of the 8-13 teams to really go after Mike Evans).

So what, we take Donald? Or Ebron? or Lewan? Either way, we're reaching.

I just know that I'll be disappointed if we don't trade up and get left out in the cold. If we don't trade up and end up with Mack or Matthews, I'll be absolutely stoked. But if leave an opportunity for Clowney on the table and end up having to take Lewan, I'll be disappointed.

Why would these teams just give us the pick to get Clowney?

Whatever we have to trade to get Clowney or Mack is the cost. Who cares if we save a pick so we can draft a third TE or a third RB or a 6th OT or another special team dynamo?

We need Clowney or Mack to make Spoon, Worrilow, Jackson and William Moore better. Something a 2nd this year, next year or a 4th any year is highly unlikely to do!

If Buffalo really want Matthews, they wouldn't trade with us to get him. They would trade with a team like the Raiders before we are on the clock

Trading into the top five would cost them too much(an extra 3rd or 4th by chart value). If they plan on getting him, I think they will be in talks with us and have something worked out and ready if he is still there when we are on the clock. If Oakland knabs him, I think that they will be content with Lewan or Ebron at 9. Edited by iEmbrace_life

Thoughts/Comments?

People will read what they want into anything.