Mock 4.0

MSalmon

This is an interesting draft in which we can go many directions. One interesting fact is the falcons kept both Biermann and Osi. I bring this up it's a great possibility the Falcons shore up the OL with the number 6 pick if Clowney and Mack are off the board. I agree with king of god on that there is a great drop off in talent after those two guys--except for one guy😄

Draft Picks before us:

1) Houston: Jadeveon Clowney (previous pick Khalil Mack)

--O'Brien is a QB guru and will look at QBs like Zach M. (LSU) And AJ Mccaron to groom

--Romeo Crennel gets his next gen willie McGinnest to run his 3-4

--Mack could be the guy

2) St Louis Rams Sammy Watkins WR Clemson (previous mock had trade with Vikings)

--they want to trade down but don't get price they desire

--Snead doesn't cajole TD to trade up

--Watkins is a rare talent and arguably BPA

3) Jacksonville: Khalil Mack

--Gus Bradley gets the edge rusher/LEO to complete his overhaul of Jax defense

4) Browns: Greg Robinson OT Auburn

--browns get a bookend tackle to pair with Joe Thomas

5) Raiders: Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M

--big athletic guy. No Saffold forces this pick.

6) Minnesota Vikings (trade with Atlanta) Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

--Minnesota sends it's 2014 3rd rounder (#72 overall) to move up from #8

--the price is high but the Vikings didn't expect Manziel to fall and fear Tampa will get him

7) Tampa Bay Buccaneers Blake Bortles QB UCF

--good for us is he'll probably set a year,

--bad for us he has a huge arm

--local product stays home

8) Atlanta Falcons Taylor Lewan OT Michigan 6'7" 309 lbs

--instant starter at RT. Will be long term LT IMO

--tough hard nose guy with quick feet and great size.

--pick goes with this seasons mantra it get "tougher"

(Atlanta sends the #37 and #68 overall to Miami for the #19 overall pick)

---why it works? Miami has a lot of holes on it's offensive line with the loss of Martin, incognito and john Jerry. Not too mention the loss of Soliali ...2 second rounders and 2 3rd rounders will help them actually field a team

RD 1 (19th from Miami) Dee Ford OLB/DE Auburn 6'2" 252 4.56 40

-- outstanding senior bowl and the Falcons staff got an up close look at the athletic Ford

--fluid athlete who brings a swagger to our defense

--IMO the best pass rusher in draft,

--excellent technique, willing in coverage and starts day 1

RD 3 (from vikings) CJ Fiedorowisz, TE Iowa 6'6" 265 4.76 lbs

-tough good blocking TE with soft hands

--not overly fast but has deceptive athleticsm and once he gets a head of steam he has decent speed for his size.

--him and Tolilio combine to give us nice red zone targets and good blocking in 2 TE sets

RD 4: Christian Jones FSU ILB/OLB 6'3" 240 lbs

Versatile Tall fluid athlete who played the strongside position in 2011, the Weakside position in 2012 and moved inside in 13

--good in coverage using his length to handle athletic TEs

RD 4 (comp) Andre Williams RB Boston College

(From cbs) STRENGTHS: Williams is thickly-built with terrific balance to pick up yards after contact, lowering his pads and driving forward for every yard he can gain. Shows good build up speed and enough quickness to pick his way through the crowd.

--he had a nice pro day http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/14/andre-williams-nfl-draft-journey/

Showed he could pass catch as well

--nice insurance if Jackson goes down or wears down and SJax's heir apparent

RD 5 Marqueston Huff, Wyoming cb/FS 5'11" 196

(from NFL.com)

BOTTOM LINE Fast, rangy, tough, loquacious defensive back who was miscast as a safety in his senior season, but projects best as a cornerback in the pros where his explosiveness and physicality will appeal to a wide range of teams. Should contribute readily on special teams and has eventual starter potential. Played his best football early in the season and tapered off late in the year.

--blanketed receivers at Senior bowl. Tough kid, who can also play FS if need be

--good utility player

RD 6 Shamar Stephen NT/DT Connecticut 6'5" 310 (same pick)

(From CBS) Stephens offers size and power as a run stuffer in the middle, capable of lining up as a nose guard in either alignment. With better use of hands, he could offer something against the pass, as well.

Stephens isn't going to compete for a sack title any time soon but has enough short-area quickness to take advantage of a free lane to harass the quarterback.

--capable backup for Soliali; we coached him at Senior Bowl

--Has the length and athleticsm to also line up at 5 tech if needed

RD 7:RD7:NT/LB/DE Nikita Whitlock wake forest (5-11, 260, 4.74)

--yes he's a 5'10" 260 NT in college! Probably a LB just STs in NFL...he's just a tough gritty versatile player that's make it hard for coaches to cut him. If he sticks, he could see spot duty rushing passer in a variety of positions. Not sure about NT though 😄

--I think he's an ILB in 34 alignment in certain situations; also working out at FB

--did an astounding 43 reps on bench press

--possibly PS candidate

RD 7 : Gator Hoskins FB/TE/H-Back 6'1" 244 4.67 forty

--also reminds me of Jason Snelling and Patrick Pass...versatile tough not star player but will play STs and make catches and blocks as needed

--type of scrappy player that sticks on rosters

RD 7:Parker Graham OT/OG, OK State 6'7"315

--never heard of him? Well we met with him. Here's link http://m.joplinglobe.com/TJG/pm_105315/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=e3kAw2r9

And this link http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osu/osu-lineman-parker-graham-credits-mom-for-his-success/article_8e9f46f3-7d8b-5d8c-8785-2e9ec995de84.html

--bench pressed 29x 225 and is former basketball player. Versatile and played inside and at LT at OK State. Good developmental prospect for long term RT in my mind

--PS candidate if he makes team

*************************************************************************************************************

If that scenario fell out we did the following

1) Bolstered our OL with young and talented players amd added 2 starters (Lewan and Assamoah)

2) we went vet/youth mix on DL and OL

3) prepared for either loss of baker to injury or for cutting him in 15

4) added physical presence to our inside LB corps amd edge rusher in Ford

5) improved secondary depth and versatility (Huff)

Lastly all defensive picks were based on average and skill set from past Nolan Rosters. One thing to note is Nolan didn't typically have many true 43 LBs--just a few. I think it's because of all the nickel and 34 looks he sprinkles in.

Depth Chart opening day

OFFENSE

WR: JJ/Douglass/Drew Davis (3)

LT: Baker/Holmes (2)

LG: Blalock/Johnson /**Graham (2)

OC: Konz/Hawley (or reverse order) (2)

RG: Assamoah/Carimi (2)

RT: Lewan /Schraeder (2)

**Johnson is our Swiss army knife backing up multiple positions (10 total OL)

QB: Ryan/DD or Renfree (2)

RB: SJax/Williams / Quizz/ Smith (4)

FB: Hoskins/Whitlock*** (2)

TE: Toilio//Fiedorowisz/ Hoskins (2)

WR: Roddy White/Darius Johnson (2) (5 total WR)

(25)

**Graham is PS candidate but I left in depth chart

***Whitlock may play at both FB and LB and STs

DEFENSE: (For Purpose of Mock listing depth chart as 4-3)

LDE Massaquoi/Osi/Maponga/ (3)

DT Jackson/Babs (2)

DT Soliai/Peters/Stephen/ (3)

RDE Ford/Goodman (2)

(10)

OLB Jones/Bartu (2)

MLB Worrilow/Jones (1)

OLB Weatherspoon /Biermann *(2)

(5)

RCB Trufant/ McClain/Huff (3)

LCB Alford/ Mabin/Franks (3)

S. Moore/ Motta (2)

S. Bush / Ishmael (2)

(10)

(25)

*biermann will play multiple positions

***graham practice squad

***************************************************************************************************

3-4 Lineup could be as Follows

DE: Babs/Peters (2)

NT : Soliali/Stephen (2) (Stephen can play 5 tech if required)

DE: T. Jackson/Goodman (2)

(6 DL)

OLB: Ford/Osi/Bartu/Maponga (4)

ILB : Spoon/Jones (2)

ILB : Worrilow (1)

OLB: Massaqui/Biermann (2)

(9 total LBs)

RCB Trufant/ McClain/Huff (3)

LCB Alford/ Mabin/Franks (3)

S. Moore/ Motta (2)

S. Bush / Ishmael (2)

(10 DBs)

(25 total)

K: Bryant

P: Bosher

KR/PR: Hester

LS: Harris (3)

Well that's it. Hope you enjoy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the moves. I would pick up use the 3rd rounder a little different (double dip on PR like Lawrence of Smith), and I'd use one of my 4ths on a bigger DT like Justin Ellis. I wouldn't go corner so early, as it's not a pressing need. but again, I love the moves.

Edited by djbrough

I like everything but do you think we could get a 2nd instead of a 3rd with the Vikings?

I don't know. I actually wondered same thing. Guess it depends if these QBs slip and they get nervous

I love the moves. I would pick up use the 3rd rounder a little different (double dip on PR like Lawrence of Smith), and I'd use one of my 4ths on a bigger DT like Justin Ellis. I wouldn't go corner so early, as it's not a pressing need. but again, I love the moves.

Thanks good comments

I like it.

Dee Ford is one of my top players

I like Lewan as well. I think he is pretty good. For me though I think he will be a RT for most of his career. Which is fine with me.

Me as well

A+ for the effort as always.

The problem that i have with this mock is that we are trading so far back into the 1st that we have to give up two early-mid round picks for Dee Ford who i do like, but I don't like him enough to give those picks up all the way to 19 for him. Is he that much better than Attaochu/Murphy/Marcus Smith/Van Noy/Lawrence?

If we were to trade up i'd rather trade up to the very late 1st and take Attaochu and maybe Ford if he fell? Or trade up to the first pick in the 2nd round. Or at worst stay where we are and hope we land a guy.

Just my opinion. I do like Ford though.

And not a huge fan of Andre Williams, but i wouldn't cry about it.

Edited by Clark Kentâ„¢

This is exactly why I'm really pro-trading down. I love Mack, and I'd love to have him fall to 6....I'd consider trading up to 4 for him but no higher. Anyway, with the way it fell I'd definitely like to trade down. And the trade back up is perfect, I love Dee Ford, his first step is 2nd to none in this draft. That's including both Clowney and Mack. Some people might say it's a reach but I really don't think so, he'll be a difference maker I think.

A+ for the effort as always.

The problem that i have with this mock is that we are trading so far back into the 1st that we have to give up two early-mid round picks for Dee Ford who i do like, but I don't like him enough to give those picks up all the way to 19 for him. Is he that much better than Attaochu/Murphy/Marcus Smith/Van Noy/Lawrence?

If we were to trade up i'd rather trade up to the very late 1st and take Attaochu and maybe Ford if he fell? Or trade up to the first pick in the 2nd round. Or at worst stay where we are and hope we land a guy.

Just my opinion. I do like Ford though.

And not a huge fan of Andre Williams, but i wouldn't cry about it.

Clark, thanks and as always a fair evaluation. You raise a valid pint on the trade. I think ford would be worth it but I have to be honest that's just my opinion. I like his intangibles more than any guy in the draft in terms of swagger and overall confidence. But that's just my opinion. Not a logical response probably lol but an honest one. Attachou or van noy certainly wouldn't anger me lol

Williams to me has that nice thick workhorse build that we seem to like, but I also like sims amd several other backs as well.

Great comments as usual

This is exactly why I'm really pro-trading down. I love Mack, and I'd love to have him fall to 6....I'd consider trading up to 4 for him but no higher. Anyway, with the way it fell I'd definitely like to trade down. And the trade back up is perfect, I love Dee Ford, his first step is 2nd to none in this draft. That's including both Clowney and Mack. Some people might say it's a reach but I really don't think so, he'll be a difference maker I think.

I too feel strongly he's at the least the third best pass rusher and could in the right system be the best in the draft. Great swagger--in a good way--as well. Thank you for great comments

This! Dee Ford is a tweener and I personally don't think he'd fit in our defense. Fiedeorowicz should be there in the 4th. Also Andre Williams has hands of stone and a ton of tread worn off the tires.

I'm not sure how a tweener doesn't fit in hybrid. But that's your opinion. Williams actually has very decent hands

Everyone keeps putting CJ later in but hate to tell y'all--not a lot of TEs in this draft

I like it Salmon, I just don't think Miami would pull the trigger on that ......

Not sure either but they have to replace 3 OL in this draft 2 seconds and 2 3rds would help that. Buti never get trades right anyway lol

I do think with ten picks or so well see TD come away with 2 first rounders though