Mack V. Attaochu? Check The Similarities / Differences

I wanted to just put this information out there in terms of showing differences / similarities between two prospects the Falcons may be taking a close look at and drafting. While I understand game film / etc. are important in the evaluation of a player, it can be hard to show "differences".

I am very "pro" Attaochu in this draft as a late 1st (move up) or 2nd round selection in order to "maximize" the Falcons draft....I think Falcons can get a very similar player to Mack, later in the draft, and can address an additional need (ie OT) with their first selection.

This comparison also made me wonder this: What does the Falcons "brass" want more ina defensive player? If it is purely "pass rushing", I think Attaochu is the better player that would fit that want, but if it is a more dynamic player that can drop in coverage, rush passer, etc. then I think Mack has the edge, but would need to be taken with the #6 pick, if even available...

I also can't help but notice the amount of impact games that Attaochu has had versus higher level competition. Is this, or should this be a factor?

I know we could make comparisons with other players, etc....I just want to do this comparison between two of my favorite players in this draft...

Check the similarities / differences between the two:

Size

Jeremiah Attaochu (JA)

6'3" 252 lbs, 34.5" arms

Khalil Mack (KM)

6'3" 251 lbs, 34.25 arms

Athleticism

J. Attaochu

40: 4.57 (pro), VJ: 37.5in, Broad Jump: 9'3", 3Cone: 7.28, 20Y Shuttle: 4.64....10yd split on 40 time was 1.55 (faster than Clowney's 1.56)

K. Mack

40: 4.55 (pro), VJ: 40.0in, Broad Jump: 10'8", 3Cone: 7.08, 20Y Shuttle: 4.18...don't ahve Mack 10yd split

Career Stats (last 3 years)

J. Attaochu

2013: 45 TKLS, 16 TFL, 12.5 Sacks

2012: 69 TKLS, 12 TFL, 10 sacks

2011: 59 TKLS, 11.5 TFL, 6 sacks (28.5 sacks in last 3 years...had three different DCs during time at GT, with switches between 3-4 and 4-3)

K. Mack

2013: 100 TKLS, 19 TFL, 10.5 Sacks

2012: 94 TKLS, 21 TFL, 8 Sacks

2011: 65 TKLS, 20.5 TFL, 5.5 Sacks (23.5 sacks in last 3 years...MAC competition, but played a more LB position, and less pass rushing then JA)

Significant Games / Opponents

J.Attaochu

UGA: 8 TKLS, 4 Sacks

Clemson: 5 TKLS, 2 sacks (Brandon Thomas)

Pitt: 4 TKLS, 2 Sacks

Virgina: 4 TKLS, 2 Sacks (Morgan Moses)

Miami (FL): 2 TKLS 1 sack (S. Henderson)

UNC: 3 TKLS, 1 sack (James Hurst)

Clemson (2012): 13 TKLS, 1.5 Sacks (Brandon Thomas)

UGA (2012): 6 TKLS, 1 sack

FSU (2012 ACC Title): 9 TKLS, 2 sacks

K. Mack

Ohio St: 9 TKLS, 2.5 Sacks (J. Mewhort)

Miami (OH): 8 TKLS, 3 sacks

UGA (2012): Did not play, suspended

UCONN (2012): 12 TKLS, 2 sacks

UMASS (2012): 15 TKLS, 2.5 sacks

Awards / Accolades

J. Attaochu

2013 3rd Team All-American

2013 2nd Team All-ACC

2011, 2012 Honorable Mention All-ACC

K.Mack

2013 2nd Team All-American

2011, 2012, 2013 1st Team All- MAC

How much of a better player is K. Mack over J. Attaochu? Do scheme, versatility etc. matter in maximizing the talent of each player?

Nice write up..heck I'll say lets draft them both..spoon is day and night and bartu has shown flashes but not quite sure yet so bringing both would be an instant upgrade next to worrilow.

if I was pulling the strings and handing in the card, that is exactly what I would do - i have been shouting from the rooftops that the Falcons need TWO OLB/DE types and Mack/Attaochu is my fav combo of two passrushers.

Nice write up..heck I'll say lets draft them both..spoon is day and night and bartu has shown flashes but not quite sure yet so bringing both would be an instant upgrade next to worrilow.

as good a tandem that would be I just don't think we can double dip with the other crater sized hole on the line. It's definitely not far fetched because I believe to an extent that we're running with who we have on the OL plus maybe a 4th rd OT

The most noticeable difference between the two is that Attaochu is not known for having coverage skills while Mack has shown an ability to do so.

Attaouchu is very athletic and may be able to dropback into coverage in the NFL but he hardly ever did it at GT.

Mack is the more all around solid hybrid LB/DE prospect.

as good a tandem that would be I just don't think we can double dip with the other crater sized hole on the line. It's definitely not far fetched because I believe to an extent that we're running with who we have on the OL plus maybe a 4th rd OT

we double-dipped last year to nice success. Falcons need to just cut the cord on Osi and bring in both of these guys - much like the Falcons let Grimes walk and brought in Trufant/Alford.

we double-dipped last year to nice success. Falcons need to just cut the cord on Osi and bring in both of these guys - much like the Falcons let Grimes walk and brought in Trufant/Alford.

I could dig it that would almost end the mass project though.

1. Mack

2. Attaochu

3. J. James OT

I could dig it that would almost end the mass project though.

1. Mack

2. Attaochu

3. J. James OT

Mass could still flourish as a backup.

The Giants had 3 pass rushers that were capable of getting 8+ sacks a season throughout the past decade so it does not actually mean that its the end of continuing to develop Mass.

Thank you so much for posting this. That Mack buzz was getting out of hand for somebody playing against Stoney brook lol smh

You must not be that much of a fan of Jimme Ward? He plays in the same conference as Mack.

Conferences of where prospects play in is something to take into account but it is not a huge part of evaluating a prospect. Things like technique and speed/burst at the point of the snap are more important. That is why you see many scouts and analysts ranking Mack as a top 5 prospect.

There is high level talent in college football outside of the SEC and ACC. The SEC and ACC have their share of busts in draft history as well.

yea that's true, but i kinda want to see mass & maponga on the other side, mass at the least earned a shot with the way he finished the year. Also we have biermann who I'm not a fan of but if they do draft Mack I don't think they would double dip, at least not early in the draft

Let me first say that I love Mack, I think he will be awesome.

That said, Attaochu is my favorite player in this draft. (I am a UGA fan.) I think the Falcons will be a better team next year with Matthews or Robinson @ 6 and Attaochu in the late 1st. I think we will have to trade up slightly to nab him.

If Mack makes it to 6 its a no brainer to me, but thats a huge IF.

Imo LB is one of the thinnest positions on our roster so the pass rusher we draft needs to be able to play LB moreso than a DE role.

I think both Mack and Attaochu are great 3-4 outside linebacker prospects, but in the 4-3 which Smith says we will still run Attaochu would have to play DE whereas Mack would still be able to stand up.

Thats not to take anything away from Attaochu who I think could still learn to play LB over time but as far as scheme versatility and our specific roster limitations/needs I like Mack if he is there

yea that's true, but i kinda want to see mass & maponga on the other side, mass at the least earned a shot with the way he finished the year. Also we have biermann who I'm not a fan of but if they do draft Mack I don't think they would double dip, at least not early in the draft

Mass & Maponga are probably better versions of Sidbury and Cliff Matthews.

Mass & Maponga are probably better versions of Sidbury and Cliff Matthews.

SO would Mack and Attaochu be better versions of Mass and Maponga?.....Thus, wouldn't double dipping be trapping players with "potential" on the depth chart and voiding them of any PT?

I'm fine with one or the other...I jsut can't see a double dip at the position with all of the others players on the current roster (Mass, Maponga, Osi, Beirmann), and the "needs" at other positions...

My wish would be to get Robinson in 1st & ja in 2nd and a blocking te in 3rd. I don't think we double dip because smith loves biermann, worrilow, bartu & mass, who will probably play lb in 3/4 alignments. That's 4 vets already on the roster who are still young, except kroy.

I'd have no objection to going OT then Attaochu. However, if Clowney or Mack are there at 6 then I'm 100% pulling the trigger. They're game changers and I'm not prepared to gamble on Attaochu making it through another 32 picks.

Let me first say that I love Mack, I think he will be awesome.

That said, Attaochu is my favorite player in this draft. (I am a UGA fan.) I think the Falcons will be a better team next year with Matthews or Robinson @ 6 and Attaochu in the late 1st. I think we will have to trade up slightly to nab him.

as a fellow bulldog, I agree

Attaochu was almost exclusively used as a pass rusher. He's also heavily reliant on inside moves to shoot the B-gap.

Mack was used all over the place and in some games, for whatever reason, was mostly used in coverage. He has good inside moves and has the bend and hand usage for an excellent speed rush. He is also more athletic to boot.

Mack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Attaochu