Anybody Actually Think Bush Is A Starting Caliber Safety Or At Least Will Be The Starter?

THE ICEMAN

I think he's more so a safely like William more in that he hits hard and is a good tackler but isn't great in man coverage. So my problem is that means either bush or Moore is going to be stuck in coverage. And that's obviously if we get him and the saints don't match the offer.

Decoud had a horrible year last year but was ok in man coverage the prior two years and while he was a poor tackler he still had 70-80 tackles and stayed healthy as well. So I'd say he was a decent starter for us most of the last 3 seasons but was over paid at least last year.

But back to Bush is he a sure fire starter over Motta or someone else? Because I remember watching the Combine last year and Then the draft and Mayock said he though Motta could be a steal at that pick and that he had like a 2nd or 3rd round grade before his 40 he then even said some guys just can't run the 40 all that well( basicly because there football players not sprinters) and he still though Motta could be a starting caliber safety down the road with good upside.

I know one thing if Motta is fast enough to cover space he is a pysically imposing safety at 6-2 and probably around 220 now after a full off season and season in the weight room.

I mean even the NFL site compared him to Harrison Smith who was a 1st round pick the year prior and is pretty good. I'd say his 40 scared a lot of teams off and even then I'm kind of shocked he still fell that far as he still would project to be a super special teamer With starter upside kind of basiclly what happened with Decoud. I remember Mayock was pretty high on Motta even after his bad 40.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/zeke-motta?id=2539669

So I think it will be great if we still get Bush but I just wouldn't be so quick to say he will 100% be the starter. I do think he'd have a sizable lead at this point but if Motta can play fast enough(cover space) I think he could also be a decent starter.

But with all that said I wouldn't in no way really depend on either guy developing into a good starter especially if they have the chance to move up and grab say Pryor or Ha Ha in that 20 or later range. But the Bush signing might also kind of be an indicator that the may see more pressing needs like a pass rusher tackle WR or TE.

I do think TD and the front office played this out perfect if they end up getting bush for less than Starter money. (less than say 3 mil I think the saints would likely keep him for anything less than 3 as he played a pretty important role for them last year when they had injuries and like we all know injuries happen) But either way competition is always good so probably at least 4 guys will compete for the starter job in a rookie, Motta,ishmael and hopefully bush. I also wouldn't put it past Mclain to get a chance to play that FS spot either as he is a pretty good tackler although not sure he's a long term option at his size if they want someone like moore who plays phyiscal.

He did pretty good In relief duties as the starter last year plus he was a star for the Saints on ST. I think it was always the plan to bring in a vet safety to compete with motta we just missed out on a couple of our targets. I really feel like the plan was always to try and move up for Clowney and that hasn't changed. I just hope we can pull it off with out giving up this year's 2nd. I'd be okay with giving up next year's 1st though

He did pretty good In relief duties as the starter last year plus he was a star for the Saints on ST. I think it was always the plan to bring in a vet safety to compete with motta we just missed out on a couple of our targets. I really feel like the plan was always to try and move up for Clowney and that hasn't changed. I just hope we can pull it off with out giving up this year's 2nd. I'd be okay with giving up next year's 1st though

We better not give up next years 1st to move up 5 spots. I'd be OK with this years 1st, 3rd and next years 2nd.

I think he's a good backup, not a starter, but signing him would at least give us some breathing room in the draft and not hold a gun to our head to draft a safety if that pick would be a big reach with an early round pick or require us to trade up. I would also rather have him start than someone taken with a mid round pick.

I have been worrying about what we're gonna do at FS because there's only a couple of guys who I think could possibly be available to us in the 2nd round and are worth a pick that high in the draft, but there's a good chance that they are gone by then. So signing bush would be a really good move for us. hope the saints don't match

We better not give up next years 1st to move up 5 spots. I'd be OK with this years 1st, 3rd and next years 2nd.

I think it depends on were we pick because if its a late 20s maybe 32 it'd be worth it but if its inside the top 15 again it could be a trade that sets us back but who knows man we could very easily miss on that pick anyway.

I'd stay at 6 because if just 1 QB goes ahead of us we'll get a Franchise type talent. Worst case is we end up with Barr at 6 and he's may be the most talented player in the draft even more so than clowney he's just extremely raw but I'd still say day 1 he'd Ben an impact guy maybe not 12+ sacks but 6-10 which is big for our d.

Maybe they'll play Motta down low and Bush up high in the big nickel.

Well that's the thing Bush is the same type of safety as motta and even Moore as they both like to hit and play near the line of scrimmage

The difference is Motta is a big Safety at 6-2 and he has long arms so even in coverage he can get his hands on a lot of ball smaller guys can't it makes it very difficult for a QB to go over top if Motta has the speed to be ok in coverage.

I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out even if we got a guy like Pryor I still wouldn't say he's a lock to start because we basically did that with Konz last year and Holmes to an extent And got burned but I'll say almost all young OLmen struggle so its kind of different but I think the best guy gets the nod.

Nolan likes to run the big nickel.

(From 2012):

Many 49ers likely remember the term, “big nickel.” This was a defensive scheme that Mike Nolan liked when he was the coach here, one that replaced a linebacker with a safety and which is designed to give defenses an advantage against passing teams. That’s often what the New York Giants use as their base defense – five defensive backs, three of them safeties

IDK if you count Bush as a starter or not, but I think we'll see him plenty during the game.

http://gritsblitz.co...big-nickel.html

Edited by charliechaplin

Bush is a starting caliber FS. My opinion of him doesn't change because he signed with the Falcons. He's a very good deep safety. He's not going to put up huge interception numbers but he's also not going to get beat deep. He covers the back end very well. He's a very sure tackler. He's not going to hit and bounce off. He wraps up. He's a good safety just doesn't make a lot of plays on the ball. I didnt mind that because he would do everything else so much better than Jenkins lol.

The guy really is a good pick up.

Bush is a starting caliber FS. My opinion of him doesn't change because he signed with the Falcons. He's a very good deep safety. He's not going to put up huge interception numbers but he's also not going to get beat deep. He covers the back end very well. He's a very sure tackler. He's not going to hit and bounce off. He wraps up. He's a good safety just doesn't make a lot of plays on the ball. I didnt mind that because he would do everything else so much better than Jenkins lol.

Thanks for posting. That's my opinion on him also from when I seen him play and that's what we need and wanted in Nolan's scheme.

Falcons have too many holes and limited cap plus rest of S FA class is weak add that with a poor S draft class . We are just trying to catch lightning in a bottle . This could mean that we plan on move our 2nd and 3rd picks in a move up for Clowney . It looks like Bush will be starter at FS and ou offensive line might bet set with an open battle at RT between Johnson, Holmes, Gabe

wise man. I just said the same thing on another thread, lord knows I love clowney but I would rather have at "least"2 rookie starters & great rookie depth (that is if TD nails the picks for once) than 1 starter & 1st year benchwarmers (Typical TD)

wise man. I just said the same thing on another thread, lord knows I love clowney but I would rather have at "least"2 rookie starters & great rookie depth (that is if TD nails the picks for once) than 1 starter & 1st year benchwarmers (Typical TD)

Depends on what positions they play in my opinion

Manly because OTs almost always struggle there rookie years and sometimes it takes 2-3 season before they mature into at least solid players. I think its also very very difficult for Interior DLmen to have a big impact day one simply because they don't see that kind of size nor athleticism on a weekly basis.

I think a super athletic rusher can have an impact with just speed and quickness against pass heavy teams RBs WR TEs LBs all transition easier because they can make up for mistakes with speed you really can't do that on the OL or interior DL.

The Rams got there starting Safety TJ McDonald in the 3rd last year I believe so it doesn't have to be in the 1st or 2nd

I think that unless its Pryor or Ha Ha Motta will start and Bush will be there just to make sure he can take that step I also think Bush is insurance in case someone gets injured Moore is still an injury prone guy he tends to get knicked up to easy but has done a good job the past two seasons staying healthy.

I think he's more so a safely like William more in that he hits hard and is a good tackler but isn't great in man coverage.

Coverage is his best attribute according to PFF. This is how they rated him:

2.9 overall score, -0.9 pass rush, -1.9 run defense, 4.2 coverage, 1.0 penalties

Edited by RyantoWhite4theTD

Coverage is his best attribute according to PFF. This is how they rated him:

2.9 overall score, -0.9 pass rush, -1.9 run defense, 4.2 coverage, 1.0 penalties

To be fair, since he's been in NO I don't remember having seen him man up on many receivers or tight ends. Coverage is his strong suit as a single deep safety or what have you. I don't know how he'd fair having to man up on someone.

Ugghh I hate saying this to a Saints fan but thanks for being objective and giving your honest opinion. Edited by Jpowers

He's as much of a guaranteed starter as William Moore as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. Bush is a pretty good player. He's not Earl Thomas or anything, but he's a huge upgrade from DeCoud. I don't know why people are acting like this is a depth signing.