John Mcclain-Houston Texans Beatwriter's Mock Draft - 3/31/14

g-dawg

John McClain was the Houston beatwriter when Houston was still the "Oilers"....he's been around - F-O-R-E-V-E-R...

McClain is well connected and has good sources in Texans organization (in other words, he is the "anti-DLed"). He has been adamant that the Texans are taking a QB at #1 - all throughout this offseason and it makes total sense - regardless of Clowney's ridiculous talent. The Texans will not be picking in the top 10 again(most likely) and the QBs on their roster are as follows:

Ryan Fitzpatrick

T.J. Yates

Casey Keenum

'nuff said....Bill O'Brien is a QB guru and likes the big prototype QBs like Blake Bortles. O'Brien got torched by Bortles in the Penn State/UCF game this year and is said to be a fan of his. Without further ado, here is the mock:

http://blog.chron.co...-draft/#22024-1

1. Houston Texans - Blake Bortles, QB-UCF
  2. ***TRADE***(f/ Rams via Wash) Atlanta Falcons, Jadeveon Clowney, DE-S. Carolina
  3. Jacksonville Jags - Johnny Manziel, QB-Texas A&M
  4. Cleveland Browns - Sammy Watkins, WR-Clemson
  5. Oakland Raiders - Teddy Bridgewater, QB-Louisville
  6. St. Louis Rams - Jake Matthews, OT-Texas A&M
  7. Tampa Bay Bucs - Greg Robinson, OT-Auburn
  8. Minnesota Vikings - Aaron Donald, DT-Pittsburgh
  9. Buffalo Bills - Taylor Lewan, OT-Michigan
  10. Detroit Lions - Justin Gilbert, CB-Oklahoma State
  11. Tennessee Titans - Khalil Mack, OLB-Buffalo
  12. NY Giants - Eric Ebron, TE-N. Carolina
  13. St. Louis Rams - Mike Evans, WR-Texas A&M
  14. Chicago Bears - Timmy Jernigan, DT-Florida State
  15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Darqueze Dennard, CB-Michigan State
  16. Dallas Cowboys - Kony Ealy, DE-Missouri
  17. Baltimore Ravens - Anthony Barr, OLB-UCLA
  18. NY Jets - Marquise Lee, WR-USC
  19. Miami Dolphins - Zach Martin, OT-Notre Dame
  20. Arizona Cardinals - C.J. Mosely, OLB-Alabama
  21. Green Bay Packers - Louis Nix, NT-Notre Dame
  22. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandin Cooks, WR-Oregon State
  23. Kansas City Chiefs - Odell Beckham, WR-LSU
  24. Cincinnati Bengals - Ryan Shazier, OLB-Ohio State
  25. San Diego Chargers - Ha Ha Clinton Dix, FS-Alabama
  26. Cleveland Browns - Derek Carr, QB-Fresno State
  27. New Orleans Saints - Dee Ford, OLB-Auburn
  28. Carolina Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin, WR-Florida State
  29. New England Patriots - Calvin Pryor, FS-Louisville
  30. San Francisco Niners - Jason Verrett, CB-TCU
  31. Denver Broncos - Xavier Sua'filo, OG-UCLA
  32. Seattle Seahawks - Cyrus Kouanjio, OT-Alabama

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can get Mack staying put why trade up?

the important news out of this mock is not how McClain has the other 31 teams - it what he has the Texans doing. I don't think Mack falls to #6.

McClain's knowledge mostly begins/ends with the Texans - outside of that, many of us has as good a guess as he does on the other 31 teams.

So in his mock Robinson, Matthews, and Mack are all there at 6 but we give up the farm for Clowney. Do not like.

i should have stopped at #2. You guys get derailed by the most unimportant parts of the OP.

The news is the guy most in the know outside of the war-room - continues to think the Texans will take a QB - and now he is saying a specific QB - Blake Bortles.

I think he is right.

i should have stopped at #2. You guys get derailed by the most unimportant parts of the OP.

The news is the guy most in the know outside of the war-room - continues to think the Texans will take a QB - and now he is saying a specific QB - Blake Bortles.

I think he is right.

i think the Texans go QB but they might try to trade back a little since they would most likely still be able to get their guy

i think the Texans go QB but they might try to trade back a little since they would most likely still be able to get their guy

i doubt it....I think Texans will like Bortles only. They will not want to be picking behind Jax and Cleveland and the Rams don't want to trade up.

Our high 2nd round pick is very valuable in this draft. Wouldn't want to lose that, especially since we have at least 4 holes to fill (OT, pass rusher, FS, TE)

nobody would want to lose that pick, Legendary SB - if there is no "hurt" to the deal, then you don't get a player like Clowney.....that is what a trade usually is - you gotta give somethin' to get somethin'.

I don't really want to see us trade up but I think the Rams might be semi desperate to trade down. They already have OTs and pass rushers and they don't want to pull the plug on Bradford yet. They would have to be in love with Watkins to take him at #2. But they've already invested in WR a lot the last few years (although not with the best results...)

there is really no reason for the Rams to NOT trade out of #2. The only player they could skip that could bite them later is Sammy Watkins. Rams are not desperate for Greg Robinson, not desperate for Jake Matthews and certainly are not acting desperate for a QB.

Rams will want to trade down - of that, I'm fairly certain. Who is calling to move up besides the Falcons? I'm sure they will get calls - but how many between #3-5? teams behind Falcons would have to give up more than Falcons to move up - in a draft that most teams want more picks.

When the discussions on moving up first began in here I was very skeptical. I mean, it's not like I didn't think TD would be tempted, but I just believed we are so depleted across both sides of the ball in terms of top-tier talent and quality back-ups that he wouldn't sacrifice some sorely needed 2nd, 3rd round type picks to get one player, not even Clowney. But as I've really had more time to consider the true urgency of the situation for himself and Mike Smith, as well as the team, I think TD has no choice except to move up to get him.

Time is running out on Mike Smith, despite his regular-season success. There have been far too many disappointments that have come along with that glittering regular season record ~ clownish gaffes with play calls, challenges and time management, a poor record in nationally televised games, an abominable record against Falcons arch-foe New Orleans, and last but not least, a 1-4 record in play-off competition. The disintegration of the team after it was struck by injuries to front line players exposed the embarrassingly soft underbelly of the team due in no small part to Smith's choice of coaches who had failed to develop any of the team's young core.

But there are other factors TD has to take into account beyond his desire to save Smith's job and keep the present hierarchy intact. The Atlanta Falcon fans took a punch below the belt when their expectations of a trip to the Super Bowl morphed into a Clown Show last season. Never labeled as the most loyal fans in the NFL, the local Dirty Bird faithful also took a straight right to the wallet with the announcement that all the prices at the new stadium would be going up and PSL fees would also now be required. Another season even faintly resembling 2013 will assuredly result in a massive die-off in attendance and in the flow of cash into Blank's pocket, perhaps even threatening the very financial stability of the new stadium. On a purely financial level, there is not even one extra year to rebuild fan faith.

And along with the rebuilding of fan faith, if you were TD you might also want to kindle some fan excitement. What better way to do that than by grabbing the consensus top player in the draft, who also happens to be the most highly rated player in years for a critical defensive position, which also just happens to be one of our biggest needs, and also played his college ball in the South? If you're trying to entice alienated, disgusted fans back into the fold, do you draft Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson, Kahlil Mack? No, you go for Clowney.

TD and the Falcons will move up and take Clowney with the 2nd pick in the draft. Not because they want him, but because they more than need him, they have to have him for the defense, for the franchise and for the fans who are looking for more than what they've seen so far in FA that the Falcons are going to do whatever it takes to get this team out of the ditch and into a Super Bowl within a year or two, or around the time of getting into the new stadium.

Arguably TD and Smith are in the situation we are in because we've sacrificed so many much needed draft picks to get the shiny new toy (Julio, Trufant). If they do it again that might be the final nail in the coffin for them.

I understand what you're saying, but in some cases, when you start rolling the dice you end up having to keep rolling because you're in too deep. If they don't make some really bold move(s) and we suck next year, then NOT having done something might put the final nail in the coffin for them.

I can understand the viewpoint that Clowney is a very risky pick,

I can understand the viewpoint that Clowney is an absolute once in a generation freak and a player that is worth trading up for.

I imagine that are teams with both viewpoints...I just can't imagine a scenario where the Falcons are the only team that thinks the second way....and that is the only way they would get a reasonable deal here.