I Do Not Love Johnny Football But I Do Love Deion

Nole9782

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha... ghetto. More like spoiled brat. I guess both might act the same. Like the world owes them something.

The funny thing is I kind of agree with both you and Deion, even though you probably woudn't agree with each other. Johnny totally acts like a spoiled brat and there's a lot of people out there who act like the world owes them something. Honestly, you're totally right.

But I also spent enough time with enough people to know that our cultures are just different. Some people don't like talkers. We're old school and we want to let our play or our actions do the talking. But, not every culture is like that. Some people like to talk. It's more fun than anything else. But, pride is very, very important to some people. It's part of their culture. And if you do well, you let people know it. I don't think it's always malicious. It's just different. And it can even be a little fun. You have to know where to draw the line. And sometimes some guys don't. But there's nothing totally wrong with knowing you're good and letting people know it. And I think that's what Deion was talking about.

Go play some ball down on the streets. If somebody dunks on you, you'll hear about it. That's just the way it is.

I don't get the criticism in the article where it says that Deion associated being black with "ghetto". I didn't get that at all. If anything i thought he did the opposite....associated it with an attitude rather than a race.

I tried to post a comment saying the same thing but I guess they won't publish it

The funny thing is I kind of agree with both you and Deion, even though you probably woudn't agree with each other. Johnny totally acts like a spoiled brat and there's a lot of people out there who act like the world owes them something. Honestly, you're totally right.

But I also spent enough time with enough people to know that our cultures are just different. Some people don't like talkers. We're old school and we want to let our play or our actions do the talking. But, not every culture is like that. Some people like to talk. It's more fun than anything else. But, pride is very, very important to some people. It's part of their culture. And if you do well, you let people know it. I don't think it's always malicious. It's just different. And it can even be a little fun. You have to know where to draw the line. And sometimes some guys don't. But there's nothing totally wrong with knowing you're good and letting people know it. And I think that's what Deion was talking about.

Go play some ball down on the streets. If somebody dunks on you, you'll hear about it. That's just the way it is.

Oh I get it. I just never liked it. Like you explained always been a ln actions speak louder than words guy. Most my friends all through school were loud mouths who were the first to get rowdy at a party. Just like him.

I think it becomes bad when it goes beyond cockiness. The trait is great for a QB, just don't end up like Scam.

The writer brought up race, not prime.

It could be argued Roland Martin did, but it wasn't in reference to the word ghetto. The writer just was looking for something to criticize there and just made something up that wasn't there..not based on the transcript anyway.

Cocky is a great characteristic for a QB to have. Montana, Marino, Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Brees.....some of the cockiest QBs to ever play the game.

Michael Vick was cocky. Marcus Vick was cocky (not a QB). Joey Harrington was cocky coming out of Oregon. Jeff George was cocky. Pat White was cocky and it got him decapitated. Chris Simms was cocky and it got his spleen violated. Kerry Collins was cocky in New York. It is not the universal good that people try to make it.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

Michael Vick was cocky. Marcus Vick was cocky (not a QB). Joey Harrington was cocky coming out of Oregon. Jeff George was cocky. Pat White was cocky and it got him decapitated. Chris Simms was cocky and it got his spleen violated. Kerry Collins was cocky in New York. It is not the universal good that people try to make it.

Well you have to be good. I don't think Chris Simms was cocky, always thought that guy was a sissy. Pat White never played QB in this league other than a few wildcat snaps. Collins reached the Super Bowl in New York.

Well you have to be good. I don't think Chris Simms was cocky, always thought that guy was a sissy. Pat White never played QB in this league other than a few wildcat snaps. Collins reached the Super Bowl in New York.

Yes, being good is a great attribute for a QB to have. I suspect the vast majority of NFL players are cocky to one degree or another, though, which means at best there might be a 50-50 split between cocky players who are good and cocky players who are terrible. It is worse if you think that 60%-70% are "just some guys." It just seems odd to pick that out as a meaningful trait when what really sets those players apart is their ability. It is like saying that brown hair is a great attribute for a QB to have.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

Yes, being good is a great attribute for a QB to have. I suspect the vast majority of NFL players are cocky to one degree or another, though, which means at best there might be a 50-50 split between cocky players who are good and cocky players who are terrible. It is worse if you think that 60%-70% are "just some guys." It just seems odd to pick that out as a meaningful trait when what really sets those players apart is their ability. It is like saying that brown hair is a great attribute for a QB to have.

I think that cockiness really helps in the pressure situations. Manning doesn't have it, and he has a history of struggling when it is all on the line. I think Matt is missing a bit of it too....at least in the second half of big games.

This is why people are profiled. Richard Sherman doesnt wanna be called a "thug"? But then Deion says "Ghetto" means black.....Im just so confused by how all of this works...Sherman can throw a fit because the Eagles cut DeSean Jackson and kept Cooper, but then Deion can make racially charged statements about a white guy? And dont even get me started on how stupid the rules are for the "N-Word" lol so ridiculous

This is why people are profiled. Richard Sherman doesnt wanna be called a "thug"? But then Deion says "Ghetto" means black.....Im just so confused by how all of this works...Sherman can throw a fit because the Eagles cut DeSean Jackson and kept Cooper, but then Deion can make racially charged statements about a white guy? And dont even get me started on how stupid the rules are for the "N-Word" lol so ridiculous

#cancelcolbert

I think that cockiness really helps in the pressure situations. Manning doesn't have it, and he has a history of struggling when it is all on the line. I think Matt is missing a bit of it too....at least in the second half of big games.

I think dealing with pressure and cockiness are unrelated. Players who are good under pressure may be cocky. Players who are cocky are not necessarily good under pressure. I agree with your sentiment, but not with your nomenclature. I think "cockiness" and "swag" are usually misattributed as causes or indicators of abilities.

Imagine all the backlash there would be if a white former player said that a black QB has "suburban tendencies"

I just find it strange that a black guy can say these things but a white guy would be a racist if he said anything like that

racism is built into pop culture. look at "BET" or the Black Entertainment Awards or Black History Month or anything that separates "blacks" from the rest of the country (then again anything exclusively non-white is totally appropriate)

but you have to look at it as a strength. it's like having integrity to not have to resort to parallel discrimination. society holds whites to the standard of unending inclusion, but that can only help when races become so mixed that clinging onto racial categories will become an oddity

on topic: Deion said "ghetto" tendancies, he didn't say "black" so to equate what he said to all black people is a leaping such as the cohost did.

Imagine all the backlash there would be if a white former player said that a black QB has "suburban tendencies"

I just find it strange that a black guy can say these things but a white guy would be a racist if he said anything like that

Deion didn't equate ghetto with race...he said Johnny's flamboyant, gonna make people hear him. Could've used ratchet but ghetto is more in tune with Primetime's generation.

Deion didn't equate ghetto with race...he said Johnny's flamboyant, gonna make people hear him. Could've used ratchet but ghetto is more in tune with Primetime's generation.

Dont associate the word ratchet with this generation. It makes me feel even worse about it

This is where you are confusing me. Deion didn't say anything like that at all.