Eric Winston - Veteran Insurance At Rt

AndySG

Now, let me start by saying that I know this isn't going to get people salivating like the Clowney threads. Very few people had Eric Winston in their mock offseasons and he's not likely to be at the Pro Bowl next year.

That said, he started all 16 games for the Cardinals last year at RT and has now started 119 straight games. He's not going to set the world alight, but he's a **** sight better than what we had last year. Not every signing that we make is going to be a blockbuster and, in my opinion, these are the kind that we need if we want this O-Line to move towards the promised land of "average".

Winston started last year poorly. He joined the team just before training camp and struggled in the first half of the season. He gave up 7 sacks in 16 games, but didn't allow a single sack in his last six games. In the second half of the year, Winston was a good, solid RT.

He's not going to be expensive. I think he cost just over $1 million for Arizona last year, so we could afford to bring him in and let him compete for the RT job. He's 30, which is a decent age for tackles. He brings experience with him, having been in the league as a starter for a long time and he'll be a good influence in the locker room. Everybody seems to say that he's a good guy and he's now the president of the NFLPA, so he's held in high regard by other players.

He also looks crazy and has a giant beard.

20131226_mjr_su5_176.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Eric Winston isn't going to suddenly give us an elite offensive line, but he is good enough to be a stop gap for a year or two. He's one hundred times the player that Jeremy Trueblood is and, especially if we are considering trading up, we're not forced to take an OT if there are better options available elsewhere. We can go pass rush in the first and then FS with our next pick.

We have the opportunity to get a solid, experienced and durable model professional. Let's bring him in to compete with Mike Johnson and Ryan Schraeder. If we feel that the other two are better then great. I'd be delighted. But Mike Johnson has been injury-prone and Schraeder is an UDFA that we've seen very little from in the way of game time. It's not a flashy signing and it's not going to get you out of your chair, but it makes sense.

To be honest they should be signing every RT out there to compete in camp. Id be down.

My thought process as well. Let's get whoever we can and put them through camp and pre and see what rises to the top. He was decent here in AZ and got better towards the end of the season

Edited by ICD

There are a bunch of FA"s just sitting wishing and hoping. We should definitely sign a few of these including Winston and Safety's. There is little risk. Low contracts no guarantee's we may get a few surprises and competition instead of being married to certain guys.

He was dam good in HOU and KC but god awful in ARI last year.

Blood and Shredder had higher PFF ratings.

If he comes here it would be his fourth team in four years.

Would you want to see Ryan get hit like the sack at 6:12 in this video?

Only talkin bout a little camp competition for now but that's brutal.

Yep. He started the season terribly, but got progressively better. By the end of the season he was looking a lot more like the guy from previous seasons.

To be honest they should be signing every RT out there to compete in camp. Id be down.

the problem with signing 10 dudes is you are limited by the CBA on how many reps you can run. So if you plan to have a competition between 10 players, they each get a **** number of snaps and you end up with a mediocre, under prepared, unit. While good in theory, its a **** solution to "bring in everybody".

the problem with signing 10 dudes is you are limited by the CBA on how many reps you can run. So if you plan to have a competition between 10 players, they each get a **** number of snaps and you end up with a mediocre, under prepared, unit. While good in theory, its a **** solution to "bring in everybody".

Wasn't being literal. More or less showing emphasis.

I miss Abe. That was like watching one of those nature videos where a lion is just destroying everything.