More Important: 3Rd Down Converstions Or Pass Rush?

The O.D.B

Lately, I've seen quite a few people advocating for defense over OL and using the following argument - "We didn't have a problem moving the ball last year even with sub-par talent and no Oline. We lost games because we couldn't stop the other team from scoring So, that's why we need defense". This stance to me seems a bit short sighted. As I recall, Offense stranded Defense on the field for large portions of the game going 3 and out or for short drives over and over. Eventually, that will take a toll on most defenses.

So, what came first the chicken (ineffective offense for long spells) or the Egg (Dinged up defense with holes getting worn out on the field)?

For the record, I'm fine either way we go, just hoping for a game changer. Also, I know our offense stagnating for long periods in games has allot to do with play calling as well as talent.

Let's hear it.

defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense!!!!!

If two of our first 3 picks aren't on the defensive side of the ball, I'm going to be upset.

Defense has been a weakness and a joke for this team for too many years. Keep the other team out of the endzone and Matt Ryan is good enough to win by himself.

both work against eachother...but I want an offense that plays loose because every 3rd down conversion isn't a death sentence to our win...you get that with a defense you can count on to get the other team off the field consistently...what happened to all the people who kept saying, "if Ryan had a defense like Flacco, he'd have 3 championships by now"(mind you, quotes like these came after their 3rd year lol) I'm not saying Ryan will win 3 straight championships, but he's had a decent o-line and shined in a great pass attack. think it's time we tell him he doesn't have to go out and score every drive, which makes most 3rd down conversions turn into drive conservation instead of just playing loose knowing you'll have the ball back in 3-7 plays with the same score.

Our offense has been pretty impressive over the past several years. Even with the lack of a "superstar" OLine.

Many times in the recent history of our franchise we have sported some of the leagues most dangerous weapons in passing(Vick, Chandler, Ryan)/catching(Mathis, Roddy, Julio, Gonzo) or running/(Vick, JA32, Dunn, Turner). Teams were scared of our offense for most of the last decade+.

When is the last time you ever heard anyone scared of a Falcons defense?

I honestly think our defense caused themselves to get gassed more than our offense did. Did our offense go 3-and-out a lot? Yeah, i guess so. Is that what tired our D out badly though?

Not so sure. I think our Defense's inability to get off the field on third down really caused them to get tired. I think upgrading our O-line and maybe having a little longer offensive drives would help our defense out less than putting together a defense that doesn't give up 10 minute drives all the time.

We were the worst team in the league at getting off the field on 3'rd down, if i recall correctly. I think that tired us out more than any offensive struggles did.

I'd like defense because I think theres a bigger hole there and one superstar could really improve this unit(especially if we get Mack or Clowney), but overall I think we will go O-line and I'm ok with it. I'll specify, O-line at 6. Prob trade up if we want a defender...

Edited by Romfal

I believe that with a better O line the defense can stay fresh off the field for longer periods of time, making them more effective. They still need to improve, and a lot.

But the reason why in the 2012/13 season we didn´t reach the SB, was the inability to convert 3rd downs after a great start.

The games against Seattle and San Fran were both perfect examples of that.

We have furious starts, with long drives on offense, and our defense was active and effective.

But then the O line started to crumble, so our offense started to crumble. We had a couple of 3 and outs, and the defense started to get tired.

The rest is history.

Don´t get me wrong, you still need a defense, defense wins championships. But building a defense takes years. We just need to improve our O line, and everything else will star clicking.

If we could magically change one for the better, I'd change our 3rd down pass rush. It's worse.

But if we're not talking magic, we probably can fix our 3rd down issues on O with 1 OL player and 1 TE, whereas I don't know what it will take on D.

We have to aim for both. Pass rusher, OT, FS, TE are all big needs.

If we could magically change one for the better, I'd change our 3rd down pass rush. It's worse.

But if we're not talking magic, we probably can fix our 3rd down issues on O with 1 OL player and 1 TE, whereas I don't know what it will take on D.

We have to aim for both. Pass rusher, OT, FS, TE are all big needs.

On defense...more pass rush up the middle.

Last year on offense, we were 7th in average plays per drive, 8th in average yards per drive, 5th in average time per drive, and middle of the pack in average points per drive. The offense's starting LoS was 6th worst in the league.

On defense, we gave up the 3rd most plays per drive, the 4th most yards per drive, the most points per drive, the highest % of drives ending in a score, and the highest time per drive. The defense's starting LoS was slightly below average at 14th worst in the league.

The defense needs more improvement.

Last year on offense, we were 7th in average plays per drive, 8th in average yards per drive, 5th in average time per drive, and middle of the pack in average points per drive. The offense's starting LoS was 6th worst in the league.

On defense, we gave up the 3rd most plays per drive, the 4th most yards per drive, the most points per drive, the highest % of drives ending in a score, and the highest time per drive. The defense's starting LoS was slightly below average at 14th worst in the league.

The defense needs more improvement.

Ridiculous sorcery.

Agreed D needs more help, but do you think that means it gets addressed first? Can you fix the O with one player and devote the rest of the draft to D? If you devote the entire draft to D, do you make the O worse, and not improve the D enough?

Ridiculous sorcery.

Agreed D needs more help, but do you think that means it gets addressed first? Can you fix the O with one player and devote the rest of the draft to D? If you devote the entire draft to D, do you make the O worse, and not improve the D enough?

I think we've already improved both sides of the ball to a point.

Obviously everything is contingent on the available talent at #6. If the stud tackles are there but the edge rushers are gone, we're probably taking a tackle. If the tackles go in the Top 5 and the edge rushers are both there (or one of them) we're probably going defense.

The 6th pick will dictate what we do with other picks. I'm of the opinion that the overall talent level of the team needs to be improved, so I'm thinking something like a 50/50 split would be best. We have 10 picks in the draft, in whatever order, I want 2 edge rushers, an OT, a safety, a tight end, a wide receiver, a running back, a defensive tackle, at least one LB and a wild card pick that can go wherever.

Our offense is already pretty good. Our defense is already pretty awful. Therefore, we need defensive help more than offensive help.

Plus, most of our major injuries last season were actually on the offensive side of things: Johnson, Baker, Ewing, White, Jackson, Jones. Defensively, we were really only missing Biermann and Weatherspoon (admittedly Dent and Samuel did miss a few games here and there, but I'd argue that Worrilow and Alford were better when on the field).

So now that you have everyone 100% healthy, the offense looks even better. We need a RT, a TE, and a backup RB to replace Snelling. And that's about it.

On defense, we need a FS (or two), a pass rusher (or two), an infusion of talent at both outside and inside linebacker, a 5th CB behind Trufant/Alford/McClain/Arenas, and possibly a backup NT/DT to replace Robertson.

Our offense has been pretty impressive over the past several years. Even with the lack of a "superstar" OLine.

Many times in the recent history of our franchise we have sported some of the leagues most dangerous weapons in passing(Vick, Chandler, Ryan)/catching(Mathis, Roddy, Julio, Gonzo) or running/(Vick, JA32, Dunn, Turner). Teams were scared of our offense for most of the last decade+.

When is the last time you ever heard anyone scared of a Falcons defense?

Agree. The Falcons have now and have had a pretty strong passing game. But on defense, we were near the bottom in about three major categories this past season. We've got OL players stacked like cordwood, we have everybody of consequence back on offense except TG. No question the majority of our draft picks should be devoted to the defensive side of the ball. We have to get better at pass rush, stopping the run, defending the TE, and we have to have a FS. Once those needs are addressed, then start filling in some more pieces on offense like an extra OT, TE, RB, WR, etc.

Agree. The Falcons have now and have had a pretty strong passing game. But on defense, we were near the bottom in about three major categories this past season. We've got OL players stacked like cordwood, we have everybody of consequence back on offense except TG. No question the majority of our draft picks should be devoted to the defensive side of the ball. We have to get better at pass rush, stopping the run, defending the TE, and we have to have a FS. Once those needs are addressed, then start filling in some more pieces on offense like an extra OT, TE, RB, WR, etc.

We're also very old on O because we're always unsuccessfully rebuilding the D. 2 of our top 3 WRs are 30+ and our primary RB is 30+ and our departed unreplaced TE was 35+. Normally this is when you'd be drafting talent to replace those guys.

I'm not saying that's our luxury now, but we at least have developing talent at LB, pass rusher, CB on defense. We have zero developing talent at offensive skill positions. Maybe not 1st rounders, but some 3rd round quality RBs and WRs and TE's are pretty critical if we're not wanting to spend 1st rounders on them next year.