5 Trades That Make Sense, But Won't Happen---Falcons Mentioned

Five_Fifs

Four Letter Network article...... discuss

Buffalo Bills trade linebacker Manny Lawson to the Atlanta Falcons for offensive tackle Sam Baker

Why it works for Buffalo: Under defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, the Bills will look to utilize their outside linebackers in space. GM Doug Whaley has anointed Lawson as a "hybrid player" this offseason, but that also means he may not have a natural position in this scheme. With Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes as edge players, Buffalo has some wiggle room to deal Lawson. Baker, meanwhile, would give Buffalo an option to play opposite Cordy Glenn at either tackle spot. Head coach Doug Marrone is a talented offensive line tutor who could revitalize Baker's play after a down 2013. While Baker signed a lucrative contract last year, the bulk of the guaranteed money has been paid out, softening the financial blow for Buffalo. A retooled deal could also be brought to the table. Obviously, Baker's health is a consideration coming off a knee issue, but if the Bills could shore up the offensive tackle spot, the board would be wide open for them at pick No. 9 in the first round. As things stand now, they may feel some pressure to draft a tackle.

Why it works for Atlanta: The Falcons have an obvious need for pass-rushers, and while head coach Mike Smith recently declared that the team will not run a 3-4 defense, much of their personnel approach this offseason suggests that it will be. Lawson would give them a veteran rusher with good length who can set the edge, and the Falcons wouldn't have to reach at No. 6 overall if Khalil Mack is off the board (presuming that Jadeveon Clowney is long gone by then). The Falcons could then target one of the top offensive tackle prospects available in the draft, with Texas A&M's Jake Matthews as a possible option. He'd be an immediate and long-term starter at left tackle.

Posted · Hidden by Rev_Hal, March 31, 2014 - language\
Hidden by Rev_Hal, March 31, 2014 - language\

It's a great idea except for it would make Sam Baker's cap hit 15.2 million dollars for this year.

Holy shiit. I didn't believe you until I just looked it up. That is just stupid. We all know he'll be out with an injury by game 4.

People that come up with these ideas either just disregard the salary cap or have no idea how it works. I am sure we are itching to have that $15M cap hit this year to get rid of Baker.

We gave him too much guaranteed money. That was just a bad deal. TD, Smith someone really likes the guy. Hopefully he comes back healthy and earns some of it this year.

Texans # 1 pick for Matt Ryan.

Texans get a proven QB without taking a risk on an unproven rookie, which they will do otherwise.

Falcons get Clowney and Johnny Manziel, plus cap space to fill roster holes with more FA.

It's a great idea except for the 51.4 million dollar cap hit the Falcons would take.

Don't you guys no that you can turn off the salary cap in Madden? Duh! That's how this trade works and why it would be awesome!

actually the trade wouldn't work in madden because of how terrible baker's rating is compared to Lawson's. I'm seriously considering creating a thread about madden trades to show you guys how wrong you are when you always mention madden in these scenarios

actually the trade wouldn't work in madden because of how terrible baker's rating is compared to Lawson's. I'm seriously considering creating a thread about madden trades to show you guys how wrong you are when you always mention madden in these scenarios

I haven't played Madden a couple of years but the last one I did (2012) both Baker's and Lawson's ratings were in the low 80s.

Texans # 1 pick for Matt Ryan.

Texans get a proven QB without taking a risk on an unproven rookie, which they will do otherwise.

Falcons get Clowney and Johnny Manziel, plus cap space to fill roster holes with more FA.

hopefully this is a joke and you really are not this dumb. granted this is TATF, we know the iq of some are lower than our YPC average.