Mock Draft V2.0

I will start this off with the preface that I think we have 3 starting positions not yet filled. I would say that we also are not going to get 3 starters for this year out of the draft. We are going to have to add a veteran to fill one of 3 holes.

My prediction is that the Falcons will sign or trade for a veteran FS to fill the gap until a young talent can be acquired next year. Patrick Chung and Jim Leonhard are available, last I checked. I would expect a name like that. It's not going to be a groundbreaking, but maybe they can tackle.

My list of needs:

1a. Pass Rusher

Depending on what we do defensively I think getting someone in the draft that can be disruptive to the other teams passing game is a must. We have a good young secondary but they can't cover for 10 mins waiting on our pass rush to get to the QB.

1b. Pass protector

Keeping our franchise QB upright this year is an absolute must. We made a good 1st step in signing Asamoah. We still need a player to protect the front side that will have the ability to play the blindside when, inevitably, Sam Baker hurts his back.

2. Centerfielder

William Moore needs to be paired with a center fielder that can play the ball in the air. William Moore is the enforcer, we need a playmaker at safety at this point.

3. Tight End

I personally didn't see anything in Toilolo last year that made me think he was going to be a decent starter this year. Filling TG's shoes will be impossible for us this year, but there are very good TE's in the draft this year.

4. Running Back

Steven is still the man, but we need another tough inside runner that can provide him some relief to save him for the end of the year.

5. Offensive Line Depth

Getting a starter in either the 1st or 2nd round won't be enough. We need to have capable players behind them. I like Schraeder, but I think his eventual home will be at guard.

1. Houston Texans - Blake Bortles QB Central Florida
  2. St. Louis Rams - Greg Robinson OT Auburn
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
  4. Cleveland Browns - Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M
  5. Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins WR Clemson

6. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo

I loved this kid since day one.I think he changes the script for us on defense. We finally have a guy that defenses have to account for on every play.We didn’t have this last year with Abraham gone. He has supreme athleticism.He has the ability to play OLB on 1st and 2nd down and he can put his hand on the ground in nickel situations. Relentless motor, has a chip on his shoulder, no quit in this kid, and no personality red flags.

37. Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee

Now it’s just my opinion but our offensive line needs a mawler.Richardson has holes.I think any tackle at this point will need something but I really think Richardson jus t needs Mike Tice. He has all the measureables you could want in a OT. He has tremendous size and huge arms and hands.He is a day one starter on the right side and good enough to protect the blindside with experience and coaching. We have one the best OL coaches in the game.He will also be extremely valuable in the running game. Improving the running game is a big priority this offseason.For me he compares to DJ Fluker and James Carpenter.

68. CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

He is one of my favorite players in the draft.Good explosion numbers in the combine.He had and excellent short shuttle which would indicate he can get in and out of his breaks.Good speed for a guy his size.He will need to develop his pass catching skills but he isn’t awful in that department. I think the value in the 3rd round for Fiedorowicz is excellent.

103. Ed Reynolds FS Stanford

This is a position we could address earlier in the draft.There is a lot of love for Bucannon and Ward, and I understand that. These guys have some great hits on the Youtube highlights.The thing I covet in a FS is intelligence.Ed is really smart. He isn’t the enforcer the other two are, I understand that, but FS must be alert and smart before being big hitters. Plus, we already have a big time enforcer in William Moore.He has adequate range and a wrap up tackler.His dad played in the NFL.He knows what it takes.

139. Seantrel Henderson OT Miami

I understand a lot people will hate the double dip at OT. But I really want to get big, massive guys up front. Henderson has loads of talent but questions about his mental toughness and desire to play in the NFL.Bottom line for me is I am willing to use two picks at this position to get 1 really good player.(Don’t forget Dimitroff doubled dipped last year at CB.)

147. Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford

My hope here is save Jackson for later in the year.I think he can take some of the carries from Jackson and we wouldn’t suffer that much. Gaffney has really good size. Really good inside runner.He is a “get the tough yards” kind of guy.Not very fluid in his running, but ultra competitive. He came from a power running team and was very effective.

182. J.C. Copeland FB LSU

The pattern of my draft is to get more physical. I am not sure there is a more physically intimidating person than J.C.The tackles I have in this mock are huge.I got us a great blocking TE. We need a lead blocker as well. We don’t have a FB at this point.Copeland could become the best FB in the NFL, I truly believe that.

220. Beau Allen DT Wisconsin

6’3” 330. Tough, gritty, hard nosed country boy.I don’t think he has ever missed a game at Wisconsin.Certainly a developmental guy but has the chance to provide depth for Paul Soliai.

253. Bernard Reedy WR Toledo

Versatile player that can play WR, return kicks and punts.Strictly a slot WR.Small at 5’9” 175 but has quickness.

255. Carlo Calabrese ILB Notre Dame

Reminds me of Worrilow. Calabrese will have to make an impact on special teams to be on the active roster.Will likely be a candidate for the practice squad in his first year with a chance to develop into a depth guy on the active roster.Carlo will have to work hard to develop his quickness. Solid tackler.

Depth Chart (Don’t take to literally)

QB:Matt Ryan

RB: Steven Jackson – Tyler Gaffney – Jacquizz Rogers

FB: J.C. Copeland

WR: Roddy White – Harry Douglas

WR: Julio Jones –Bernard Reedy

TE: C.J. Fiedorowicz – Levine Toilolo

LT: Sam Baker – Seantrel Henderson

LG: Justin Blalock

C: Joe Hawley – Peter Konz

RG: Jon Asamoah

RT: Antonio Richardson – Gabe Carimi

CB: Desmond Trufant – Javier Arenas

CB: Robert Alford – Robert McClain

OLB: Khalil Mack

DE: Tyson Jackson - Peria Jerry

NT: Paul Soliai – Beau Allen

DE: Jonathan Babineaux – Malliciah Goodman

OLB: Osi Umenyiora – Kroy Biermann

ILB: Paul Worrilow

ILB: Sean Weatherspoon – Carlo Calabrese

SS: William Moore

FS: VeteranTBD – Ed Reynolds

PR/KR: Devin Hester

I like Mack (of course),Henderson, Fiedorowicz and Copeland even though it may be a little high for the last two.

I don´t know about Reynolds as our starting S. Unless we bring a veteran, that I just saw you put there.

And I want Zach Kerr, and Caraun Reid (both DTs) and a speedy RB, maybe double dip in that, a physical guy and a speedy one.

Don't agree with your assessment on Reyonlds as he only looks good on his highlight reel. I would hate to gaffney even if he would only be a backup. Richardson has the prototypical size but a much smaller game. He struggles in the run game and isnt quick enough to deal with nfl caliber lineman