What If The Big Four Are Gone?

What if Robinson, Matthews, Mack and Clowney are drafted ahead of us and we are not able to trade down? Who would you draft?

Here is a short list of possibilities, in no particular order:

1. Aaron Donald is the best defender on the board, but does he fit the scheme? He might, if Nolan puts his mind to it.

2. Eric Ebron is probably the best offensive weapon on the board. Tony was the greatest TE in NFL history, but he wasn't the greatest last season. EE would be an upgrade (heresy!!).

3. Sammy Watkins is the best WR in this draft, but do we need another one, especially in a draft so deep in WR's?

4. CJ Mosley is tempting, but ILB is not a drastic need.

5. Anthony Barr is a terrific athlete, but is he tough enough to make a difference? I may be wrong, but from the little I have seen, he is not.

6. Kony Ealy is a good looking 4-3 DE but he doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage. Does this matter?

7. Dee Ford is an extremely quick pass rusher but can he play the run? Still, I like the idea of him chasing Brees and Newton.

Edited by etherdome

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily pick

Its Watkins he may not fill a pressing need but day 1 is an impact player and changes the game for us.

That's the thing your trying to do no matter were your picking is to add impact player and watkins again while not a pressing need (but is a need) would have a big impact on our offense.

What if Robinson, Matthews, Mack and Clowney are drafted ahead of us and we are not able to trade down? Who would you draft?

Here is a short list of possibilities, in no particular order:

1. Aaron Donald is the best defender on the board, but does he fit the scheme? He might, if Nolan puts his mind to it.

2. Eric Ebron is probably the best offensive weapon on the board. Tony was the greatest TE in NFL history, but he wasn't the greatest last season. EE would be an upgrade (heresy!!).

3. Sammy Watkins is the best WR in this draft, but do we need another one, especially in a draft so deep in WR's?

4. CJ Mosley is tempting, but ILB is not a drastic need.

5. Anthony Barr is a terrific athlete, but is he tough enough to make a difference? I may be wrong, but from the little I have seen, he is not.

6. Kony Ealy is a good looking 4-3 DE but he doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage. Does this matter?

7. Dee Ford is an extremely quick pass rusher but can he play the run? Still, I like the idea of him chasing Brees and Newton.

You could really make a case for all the guys and yes Donald would fit in perfect in either a 4-3 or 3-4 in a 3-4 we would use him like the just use Wilkerson or Richardson and in a 4-3 he would be a 3 tec and he's one of the best to come out in a long time probably will be a more disruptive player than suh if he develops his tremendous talent.

I just simply like I stated above Watkins would be the best player on the board and maybe the surest pick in the hole draft as far as how will he translate day one to the nfl

To quote the owner we will not be taking a skill player at 6.

Well Mack and Clowney are really "skilled" players in that sense as they play with athleticism and technique Not so much power or inside.

But what Blank says doesn't mean much he also said this before we add a OLmen and two DL while retaining all three of our DTs.

Easily pick

Its Watkins he may not fill a pressing need but day 1 is an impact player and changes the game for us.

That's the thing your trying to do no matter were your picking is to add impact player and watkins again while not a pressing need (but is a need) would have a big impact on our offense.

we had no problem scoring in 2012, we either need to stop someone or stop someone from killing ryan. watkins would be the absolute worst pick.

Trade down and take either Lewan, Clinton-Dix, or Pryor.

I don't think that's smart if a franchise caliber player is on the board at 6 which is highly likely.

The browns did this and still haven't recovered they also did it again when they could of made the jump to grab RG3 and choose not to and again are still hurting from those decisions.

Moving down always isn't the best choice now if a team is willing to massively over pay like the redskins did then yea but at 6 in a draft that's has more than 2-3 franchise type guys it going to take a lot to move down.

we have no problem scoring in 2012, we either need to stop someone or stop someone from killing ryan. watkins would be the absolute worst pick.

Its not about that again its about best player available

Its like you guys forgot what happen when we reach and fill needs maybe someone should bonk you guys over the head to wake you up man.

Look back we filled a need with Jerry who improved but as far as impact has been a bust then we moved up a d filled a need with baker who again for the cost hasn't been a good move then factoring in the contract he got then again we also filled a need for peter konz and again we got burned with that pick he is still a young guy so maybe he improves but to date has been a bust.

Take Jones and Trufant two player we wanted we didn't sit back and wait we went and got the guys we wanted so if we can't move up and grab Clowney or Mack or either OLmen then go best player available reaching only makes its worse moving down makes sense if you get a good return in the process but again there no guarantee than the guy you want doesn't get taken before your pick rolls around for example another team in on Pryor may move ahead of us if we slide down but it just isnt worth it to take him at 6 either.

Getting the best player on the board isn't always a bad thing seems to have worked really well for the Ravens who don't reach they always take best player available and Ozzy Newsome says its worked out great for them sure they have been able to fill needs in some drafts but if there guys is gone and its a reach to fill a need they go best player available.

Ya gotta go BPA or if another team is willing then trade back

That's what I'm saying and in "my" opinion Watkins would be the best player on the board. But like I said above other guys make sense it all depends on who you think can have the most impact and really be a game changer take Barr for example while he's a far better talent than most the "impact" he'd have likely would be easily filled with a guy in round two like Ford or Attaochu or at the OT spot Moses could be there and there's guys at WR TE and Safety who could all make sense its above the impact than player at 6 has and do you think you can fill those holes in rounders 2,3 and 4.

I will never understand how Robinson is over Matthews maybe we are never going to throw the ball & run read option with Matt Ryan. That's the only way that makes sense

Actually we could run the option with Ryan not like say Wilson or keap or newton do but the threat of the hand off draws the defense Rayan could easily pull it down and throw it we could also run a screen out of that type of play its more so like a Play action pass play but from the Shotgun

Even if Ryan could run its not worth it if he was to get Injured but as another form of play action basicly its highly effective play in drawing the Linebackers closer and when you have WRs or TEs or even Backs that can catch the ball its tough on a defense as it creates 1 on 1s and opens the middle of the field up.

As far as Robinson he's a dominating run blocker and he alone would make our running game better but we throw the ball so much Mathews is a better pick and he isn't that bad in the running game either he's just not the force Robinson is.

we had no problem scoring in 2012, we either need to stop someone or stop someone from killing ryan. watkins would be the absolute worst pick.

I don't think the worst pick, but even with Watkins, Ryan would have the same problem as last year in that he would not have time to let the play develop and the WRs have time to get open. RT could be addressed in the second, but then we're in the same boat with the pass rush, and still a gaping hole at FS as well.

Still, I love the idea of BPA with almost any pick and under this scenario, Watkins would be that by a mile

Highlt unlikely. Would require all but one of the QB needy teams to not go QB. And after 2 of the looked amaizing at their pro day/combine. The other of the 3 had a terrific season.

But if that somehow happens we go HaHa or Pryor.

I think it would take no QBs going in front of us and even then I'd say they still take Barr versus moving down.

I think Clowney/Mack/Robinson/Mathews/Watkins are all premier players( prospects at this point but from a talent stand point) at there positions I think I would probably put Barr in there as he has as much talent as clowney if not more he's just more so a raw talent. That's 6 guys

I think it would take a really good trade for us to move down but I also think we don't have so many needs we can't move up and grab Clowney or Mack

I don't think the worst pick, but even with Watkins, Ryan would have the same problem as last year in that he would not have time to let the play develop and the WRs have time to get open. RT could be addressed in the second, but then we're in the same boat with the pass rush, and still a gaping hole at FS as well.

Still, I love the idea of BPA with almost any pick and under this scenario, Watkins would be that by a mile

I wouldn't say that Ryan wouldn't have time to throw it really depends because Blalock came out and said the scheme changed and wasn't effective like years past plus I do think asamoah will have a huge huge huge impact at RG Hawley was more than serviceable at Center and Holmes will be better and if not we have options unlike last year. It really hinges on Baker staying healthy and he makes far to much to replace at this point that may be an option for the 2nd or 3rd round or likely next years number 1. But I think the OL will be fine I wouldn't pass on mathews or Robinson burn also wouldn't be that worried if we go with what we have depth is something we have that we didn't last year because of all the injuries.

I think move down is the right move if its not to far and the return is right if not it then in this post becomes who's more valuable say a guy like Barr or watkins I think Watkins is just to good to pass on if the big 4 are gone Barr is a close 2nd and I'd be ok wit the pick but just think Watkins is a far more safe pick