Do We Need A New Backup Qb?

AndySG

I know that there's a bit of discussion already regarding this in the Aaron Murray thread, but do you think that we need to bring in a new backup QB?

I've not been impressed with what I've seen from DD thus far. We're not going to get a backup who is going to push Ryan and compete with him for a starting place, but DD doesn't look any better than any of the journeymen throughout the league or even somebody like Thad Lewis or Matt McGloin.

I'm not suggesting that we should take AJ McCarron at the top of round three, if he's available, but would you take somebody in the 7th round, for example, considering that we have two compensation picks there?

For me, a backup QB is somebody who can come in and not completely ruin the team. We're not making a Super Bowl if Ryan goes down, but can we still win a few games? I'd hope so, with Julio and Roddy on the outside.

So, with that in mind, what would you do if David Fales or Aaron Murray are still there in the 6th round or Brett Smith is still on the board when we pick in the 7th? It's not out of the question that Connor Shaw, Logan Thomas, Tajh Boyd, Jeff Mathews or Keith Wenning is still around when it comes to our compensatory picks, given what people have been saying about them. Would it be worth it, or should we be looking at Davis or Renfree as our backups?

For me, I look at a successful backup QB (when drafted) as somebody who could increase their value. If I took Tajh Boyd in the 7th, he played well in pre-season and somebody offered a 4th for him? That's a success for me. I think that there are QBs around that fall into that category in this draft. Do we look at them or should we be looking at people who should get playing time, even if it is only on special teams?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point, if MR goes down and will miss four games or six, we need a quality backup. Another thing is this, if your backup Qb shows he's really good, you get FIRST ROUND or 2nd rd picks for him. Do you realize we got two 2nd rounders for Schaub? Its a double bonus, its almost like you can't lose. Oh yeah ... one more thing Davis a quality backup ... that's a funny joke.

I like Renfree, but if Murray fell to the sixth I wouldn't mind taking him at all. Highly unlikely though.

This I agree with. You don't take him earlier though. You could potentially get a starting TE in Fiederowictz if he fell to the 4th

This I agree with. You don't take him earlier though. You could potentially get a starting TE in Fiederowictz if he fell to the 4th

There's also Xavier Grimble. Personally I think he could be a serviceable Owen Daniels type TE. Solid blocker, solid hands. Not gonna blow your mind with speed, but good enough to be solid. I think he could be had in the 5th or maybe even 6th.

There's also Xavier Grimble. Personally I think he could be a serviceable Owen Daniels type TE. Solid blocker, solid hands. Not gonna blow your mind with speed, but good enough to be solid. I think he could be had in the 5th or maybe even 6th.

N

Edited by Unknown User

Andy, Lamar Holmes is not a RT. And Carimi is more of a backup guard if anything.. So we've got 2 RT's. Johnson(coming off an injury(, and Shrader(a project). Not to mention if we draft a premier OT, he'd be taking over for Baker at LT as soon as we can afford to cut him..

I'd take Logan Thomas in the 6th or 7th. A bit of a project, but I like him.

I think he´s an interesting proyect.

But he´s not a quality back up right now.

So, if Matty goes down, whether we have DD or Logan Thomas we are F*&%*