Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

501 posts in this topic

Id love chipper if only for the reason that this could pave the way for him to be manager in opening day in the new stadium haha.

Maybe that was the plan all along.... Can't hire a decent manager right now. They wouldn't be gone in time haha

I know Porter has strong ties to Fredi vut part of me wondered if thats incase an interim is needed. Porter was highly regarded as a top managerial candidate. Houston just wasnt ready to win obviously. Even still the Astros were better than most expected.

Lost in the Fredi news today Tony DeMacio was removed from his position and reassigned. He was the Braves director of scouting. The drafts under him have not been well recieved.

According to Peter Gammons Roy Clark is returning to the Braves front office

That's a huge move getting him back. He's the reason the Nats are so good now.

According to Peter Gammons Roy Clark is returning to the Braves front office to take over the lead on scouting and player development

That's a huge move getting him back. He's the reason the Nats are so good now.

Indeed, the first good Braves news in awhile.

Braves prospect SS Ozhaino Albies was rated the #1 prospect in the Appalachian league by Baseball America. Peraza #3 in Carolina, #6 in Southern. Bethancourt rated #10 in International league.

Hart continues to reshape the entire front office. Dave Trembley has been named director of player development. His assistant will be Jonathan Schuerholz who moves from minor league manager to the front office.

Hart continues to reshape the entire front office. Dave Trembley has been named director of player development. His assistant will be Jonathan Schuerholz who moves from minor league manager to the front office.

Sure does pay to have Dad running the show.

Braves finish 2014 #18 in attendance at 29,065 per game. Pretty much the normal range they fall in every season at the Ted.

It's a big decline though from the last couple of years.

Mark Bowman says Hart did have interest in Jim Thome as hitting coach but Thome has no interest in coaching right now. He adds that Milt Thompson and Rick Eckstein are two names on the Hart's list. Thompson was the Phillies hitting coach during their playoff runs. Eckstein was the Nationals hitting coach and had been with the Angels as co-hitting coach until leaving to coach hitting at Kentucky. You might remember Rick's brother David.

Mark Bowman says Hart did have interest in Jim Thome as hitting coach but Thome has no interest in coaching right now. He adds that Milt Thompson and Rick Eckstein are two names on the Hart's list. Thompson was the Phillies hitting coach during their playoff runs. Eckstein was the Nationals hitting coach and had been with the Angels as co-hitting coach until leaving to coach hitting at Kentucky. You might remember Rick's brother David.

Wouldn't mind having Milt Thompson. He would work out well.

So I'm assuming chipper officially said no?

He literally just moved to Texas. Probably bad timing for him. He'll be back one day.

Yeah that reported meeting between Chipper and Fredi was likely just to kick the tires. As stated above Chipper just sold his Atlanta home and moved to Texas full time a month or so ago to run his ranch. He also just got engaged during the summer. Doubt hes ready for that daily grind yet.

Braves have contacted Kevin Long about becoming hitting coach according to DOB. Long took the fall for the Yankees and was fired just a week or so ago. Braves have their work to do because Long is a hot commodity. A few teams have contacted Long including the Mets and Red Sox.

K26dp likes this

Chipper said he told Fredi and the Braves hes not ready to coach. He said they checked with him but he feels he wouldnt be dedicated enough because hes not ready to get back in uniform.

“I sat back and I started thinking about it. It’s even more of a time commitment from a coaching standpoint than it is a player standpoint. I don’t want to be at the park at noon every day. I don’t want to be at the park until midnight every night. I don’t want to wake up at spring training and have to be there at 6:30 in the morning. It’s a huge commitment, and I don’t want to cheat the organization at this point because I’m not