Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

501 posts in this topic

That's a lame excuse. When you listen to a radio broadcast on MLB.tv they still play the local commercials so the advertisers still get their pub. There's no reason they can't do the same for the tv broadcasts. The satellite and cable companies would be fine because there are plenty of people that don't watch sports.

It's the truth. Live sports is the cable and satellite companies last thread of relevance. So many are switching or have switched to Netflix/Hulu/OverTheAir that do not have cable/satellite. I thought about it at one time too, but I couldn't watch the Braves, so I had to buy it. I hate going to those people's houses because you can't watch the **** game. I'm not sure why they don't black out the radio feed advertisements, I think because it's not as easy to monitor because of the nature of every station playing their own ads vs 1 TV station playing mostly 1 set of ads. MLB.tv doesn't want to show them because those guys aren't paying them to advertise for them.

If they allowed that, the local stations wouldn't get any advertisers and the biggest reason to get cable/satellite (live sports) would vanish which would probably kill those companies.

Let. Them. Die.

Falconsfan567 and R.C. Collins like this

But it's kind of a crap connection for HD streaming to go through a VPN or Proxy especially if you already have a slow connection 6mbps or less.

With said service above I had 0 problems with streaming HD content. Worked Great, if you have ****** internet then yeah, you will probably not want it. The internet at the time I had was only 18 mbps.

If they allowed that, the local stations wouldn't get any advertisers and the biggest reason to get cable/satellite (live sports) would vanish which would probably kill those companies.

Good.

Where do guys think the new money for these teams is coming from? TV contracts. Without those, there is no type of growth within the sport. Disdain for cable and satellite companies is fine, but hoping for their death is going to end killing sports as a whole.

Where do guys think the new money for these teams is coming from? TV contracts. Without those, there is no type of growth within the sport. Disdain for cable and satellite companies is fine, but hoping for their death is going to end killing sports as a whole.

I'm not calling for the death of those companies. I am calling for the death of their monopolistic, anti-consumer business models. And if that means a reduction in cash to sports teams, so be it.

I'm not calling for the death of those companies. I am calling for the death of their monopolistic, anti-consumer business models. And if that means a reduction in cash to sports teams, so be it.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's a two way street between the stations and providers that kind of force that kind of model. The stations have to charge more to cover their big contracts, then providers have to pass it on. At least now, there more options with satellite and uverse.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's a two way street between the stations and providers that kind of force that kind of model. The stations have to charge more to cover their big contracts, then providers have to pass it on. At least now, there more options with satellite and uverse.

If the greedy stallite and cable companies would stop charging the networks so much to carry them then the consumers wouldn't feel the pinch so much. You've seen networks over the pass few years refuse to pay what the providers want to carry them so the providers drop them. But after a couple of months they come crawling back. The lastest example is the weather channel who just caved to Directv after 3 months.

If the greedy stallite and cable companies would stop charging the networks so much to carry them then the consumers wouldn't feel the pinch so much. You've seen networks over the pass few years refuse to pay what the providers want to carry them so the providers drop them. But after a couple of months they come crawling back. The lastest example is the weather channel who just caved to Directv after 3 months.

I think you got it hilariously backwards. Networks charge the providers to show their channel. If they don't come to an agreement, the provider will drop them from their basic service which hurts the channel's advertising dollars. Then the channel usually will come crawling back and take the rate the provider wanted or a better workable rate.

It's the reason the Dish vs. Fox Sports South dispute will not come to an end. Dish says they already agreed to pay for the games (on Peachtree TV), but Fox Sports South wants to charge the Atlanta metro area the same price they charge for the games outside the Atlanta area (not the agreed price that Dish and Peachtree TV worked out for the same games). In this case, they both lose.

I was going to cut the cable and just get MLB.tv, but that service is basically useless if you live local to Braves games. That service blacks out local games.

Honestly, that seems so stupid to me, they would get many more subscribers if they didn't bow down to local TV sevice providers.

Yeah I cut cable. And I have MLB.TV because I work out of town a lot. But when I'm home its radio or nothing :/

Braves have traded Tyler Greene to the Padres for a player to be named. He'll join Francoeur, Brooks Conrad and Blaine Boyer on the El Paso Chihuahuas

Braves have traded Tyler Greene to the Padres for a player to be named. He'll join Francoeur, Brooks Conrad and Blaine Boyer on the El Paso Chihuahuas

Francoeur pitched a 1-2-3 inning in a blow-out game a few days ago. No prank this time. His outfield career is pretty much over, but his pitching career could be beginning.

David Hale has been told that he will remain with the big league club after Mike Minor is reinstated off the DL. He will go to the bullpen.

The Braves have officially extended Chris Johnson for 3 years, $23.5M. The deal will buy out his final two arbitration seasons and one year of free agency. The Braves have a club option for 2018 valued at $10M.

Gus Schlosser was optioned to AAA Gwinnett to create room on the 25-man roster for Mike Minor. David Hale remains in the bullpen.

Here's some pieces of an interview with Dan Uggla on Fangraphs. He speaks pretty frankly about his troubles, including how his approach and swing have declined since coming to Atlanta.