Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

501 posts in this topic

The Orioles have Markakis and Cruz as free agents. I'd offer Justin Upton for Kevin Gausman.

Then I'd offer Craig Kimbrel, BJ Upton, and Chris Johnson to the Tigers for Andy Dirks and Joe Nathan.

Then I'd take the resulting savings and sign Jason Heyward and a free agent third baseman (Chase Headley or Aramis Ramirez).

The Orioles have Markakis and Cruz as free agents. I'd offer Justin Upton for Kevin Gausman.

Then I'd offer Craig Kimbrel, BJ Upton, and Chris Johnson to the Tigers for Andy Dirks and Joe Nathan.

Then I'd take the resulting savings and sign Jason Heyward and a free agent third baseman (Chase Headley or Aramis Ramirez).

Andy Dirks and Joe Nathan? Please tell me that's a joke. Seriously? A 40-year old Joe Nathan and a 29-year old AAAA player for the best closer in MLB history? k26dp I think you need your head examined.

Andy Dirks and Joe Nathan? Please tell me that's a joke. Seriously? A 40-year old Joe Nathan and a 29-year old AAAA player for the best closer in MLB history? k26dp I think you need your head examined.

Even from the Braves perspective, you have to hold onto your superstar closer for the fan's sake, with his popularity and reliability. I don't think it'd sit well with fans and they need to keep fans engaged as they moved to SunTrust

Jason Stark has named BJ his NL Least Valuable Player. More importantly, in doing so, he pointed out a very underwhelming stat. BJ is the first person in the history of baseball to have back to back seasons of hitting under .210, less than 15 homers, and 150+ K's. One reason this feat has probably never been accomplished is BC no player who performed so poorly has ever been allowed to keep playing long enough to complete it. If Wren was involved in pressuring Fredi to play Uggla and BJ as long as they played he deserved the ax.

If the Phillies win the last two then the Braves will finish just 2 games from finishing in last.

Unfortunately, we needed a horrible finish to precipitate the change. As many hear said if we would have finished second or managed toake the playoffs and lost the one game wildcard it might have saved jobs. We needed a purge.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Unfortunately, we needed a horrible finish to precipitate the change. As many hear said if we would have finished second or managed toake the playoffs and lost the one game wildcard it might have saved jobs. We needed a purge.

Yep.

John Hart did an interview about the future of the roster. He said they wont rebuild but theres a few areas that have to be fixed. He pointed out speed and veteran leadership as the two biggest things lacking.

Falconsfan567 likes this

The Kansas City Royals are dead last in walks and homeruns. They're the first team in MLB history to make the playoffs being dead last in walks and homeruns. How'd they have enough offense to make the playoffs? By leading the majors in stolen bases and having the fewest strikeouts in the majors.

John Hart did an interview about the future of the roster. He said they wont rebuild but theres a few areas that have to be fixed. He pointed out speed and veteran leadership as the two biggest things lacking.

If speed was an issue Whyd they ditch Schafer lol

Even from the Braves perspective, you have to hold onto your superstar closer for the fan's sake, with his popularity and reliability. I don't think it'd sit well with fans and they need to keep fans engaged as they moved to SunTrust

Nothing is more pathetic than a "superstar closer" on a losing team.

On a positive note, I'd like to acknowledge how amazing Aaron Harang has been for the club this season. I wasn't crazy about his signing at the beginning of the season (though he was a clear improvement over Freddy Garcia), but he's been a lifesaver for the rotation. I heard the interview with Alex Wood the other night as well where he went out of his way to thank Harang for mentoring him this season, especially in playing the mental game with hitters. I have no idea if the Braves will sign him back, but if not I hope he continues his success.

On a positive note, I'd like to acknowledge how amazing Aaron Harang has been for the club this season. I wasn't crazy about his signing at the beginning of the season (though he was a clear improvement over Freddy Garcia), but he's been a lifesaver for the rotation. I heard the interview with Alex Wood the other night as well where he went out of his way to thank Harang for mentoring him this season, especially in playing the mental game with hitters. I have no idea if the Braves will sign him back, but if not I hope he continues his success.

I'm not saying that I'm against trading Kimbrel for the right return but seriously, Joe Nathan and Andy Dierks? Why not just give him to the Yankees for a bag of broken bats? They might actually be more useful.

It's the first year the "Superstar Closer" was on a losing team, and he's the main reason the previous 2 seasons weren't losing