Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

501 posts in this topic

Poor Wood.

Wood showed a lot of mental toughness this season. I think he learned a lot this season. That as a pitcher all you can do is your job and as long as you do you can't let the final results have a positive or negative effect on your performance. It would have been real easy for a young pitcher to pitch as well as he has this season and keep getting losses hung on his record and get frustrated by it. But Woody hasn't done that. It's really encouraging. Reminds me of Tom Glavine in that way.

Wood showed a lot of mental toughness this season. I think he learned a lot this season. That as a pitcher all you can do is your job and as long as you do you can't let the final results have a positive or negative effect on your performance. It would have been real easy for a young pitcher to pitch as well as he has this season and keep getting losses hung on his record and get frustrated by it. But Woody hasn't done that. It's really encouraging. Reminds me of Tom Glavine in that way.

He's my favorite part of this season.

He's my favorite part of this season.

Agreed.

Currently this offense ranks 3rd worst in the history of the Atlanta Braves for runs per game.

1968 3.15

1988 3.47

2014 3.55

That 1988 team lost 106 games.

1 more loss and a losing season and I hope the door for fg. He needs to go and finally Bj upton. Trade to Yankees for a mid level prospect but they pay the salary. Go after dexter fowler.

Maybe part of the reason Wren is gone is that they had no one in the minors that they could bring up to play CF, basically, there were no options other than to just play him.

There isnt a whole lot of options at any position in the system. We have a few really good looking SPs coming through but not much after that. Peraza is the only Braves prospect ranked among the top 50 in MLB. Kyle Wren looks like a solid player as well.

No options? Is gattis-heyward-justin not an option? With Bethancourt at catcher?

Gattis in the outfield as the full time starter would be disastrous.

Gattis in the outfield as the full time starter would be disastrous.

How would you describe BJ in the outfield full time? Haha

Mark Bowman@mlbbowman 1h

Top #Braves ERAs since 2000

Jurrjens 2.60 ('09)

Maddux 2.62 ('02)

Wood 2.78 ('14)

Hudson 2.83 ('10)

Vazquez 2.87 ('09)

Teheran 2.89 ('14)

Great work by Wood and Teheran this season.

We'll have to wait until the number updates tomorrow but at least check Teheran had the 2nd lowest home ERA by a Braves starter since 1960. The lowest of course belongs to none other than Greg Maddux. But Teheran was 2nd on the list when I last saw it and both Maddux and Teheran's ERA's were under 2.

Not Braves-related, but Phil Hughes just finished the season with the highest K/BB ratio of all-time. He had 186 strikeouts compared to just 16 walks in 209 2/3rd innings. That's pretty ridiculous.

Not Braves-related, but Phil Hughes just finished the season with the highest K/BB ratio of all-time. He had 186 strikeouts compared to just 16 walks in 209 2/3rd innings. That's pretty ridiculous.

and that 1/3 of an inning cost him $500,000.00

DOB said from what he's heard he gets the feeling there will be "significant" roster turnover this winter

I just don't know where you'd do that. Obviously CF would be nice. Rest of the field seems pretty set, although you'd like an everyday second baseman to step up.

But you might have to move Justin to get rid of BJ and not eat too much.

I heard about that on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. Of course they were jabbing at the Yankees for not keeping him. Lol

I just don't know where you'd do that. Obviously CF would be nice. Rest of the field seems pretty set, although you'd like an everyday second baseman to step up.

But you might have to move Justin to get rid of BJ and not eat too much.

Probably a lot of the bench guys. Then you have BJ, Santana, Harang if they dont resign him. Chris Johnson could be shopped as well. The extension to CJ was another odd move by Wren and undeserved IMO.

Probably a lot of the bench guys. Then you have BJ, Santana, Harang if they dont resign him. Chris Johnson could be shopped as well. The extension to CJ was another odd move by Wren and undeserved IMO.

Add in the Gattis rumors.

The Chris Johnson extension was such a dumb move.