Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

501 posts in this topic

Buster Olney wrote an article this morning calling for the MLBPA to make a move to regulate RP usage to prevent things like we're seeing with Venters

DOB mentioned theres a good chance the Braves will take a look at moving Gattis this offseason. Team loves his bat but is worried about his defense and the ability of his big body to handle catching

If we move him it should be to the outfield, not another franchise. Move BJ (to another franchise), shift Jason to center and Justin to right, Gattis in left.

If we move him it should be to the outfield, not another franchise. Move BJ (to another franchise), shift Jason to center and Justin to right, Gattis in left.

Agree. We'd be sub-par on defense at two positions but Heyward in center would help that out.

And better than being awful at a spot in the batting order

I'm sure the Braves don't want to trade Gattis, but the only way to get rid of BJ and his lousy contract is to include a player like Gattis in the deal. The trade would likely be to an AL team that could use Gattis as a DH. The other team would have Gattis under control until 2019 with a very affordable contract (which would offset BJ's lousy contract that the other team would also be taking on).

So what would the Braves get in return in a deal for Gattis and BJ? Other than salary relief, probably not much. It would probably be similar to the Justice/Grissom salary relief trade that they did in 1997.

Both coming off Tommy John, Venters agreed to 1 yeat, $1.625M , EOF signed for 2 years, $7M.

Venters was also better at his peak than EOF and is is younger. It was a roll of the dice that didn't work out. That doesn't make Wren "a moron". Good for EOF and the A's that he's been able to come back.

ATLBrave likes this

Both coming off Tommy John, Venters agreed to 1 yeat, $1.625M , EOF signed for 2 years, $7M.

Venters was also better at his peak than EOF and is is younger. It was a roll of the dice that didn't work out. That doesn't make Wren "a moron". Good for EOF and the A's that he's been able to come back.

Venters best season is not as good as EOF's best season.

Venters - 2011 - 85 G, 88 IP, 53 H, 19 R, 18 ER, 2 HR, 43 BB, 96 SO, 1.84 ERA

EOF - 2011 - 78 G, 73 2/3 IP, 59 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 2 HR, 21 BB, 67 SO, 0.98 ERA

You mention Venters is younger, but seriously, do you know how much younger? 43 days. Venters is only 43 days younger than EOF. So no, age wasn't a factor in the decison, an if it was then yes Wren is a Moron.

EOF had a much longer, more proven, track record than Venters and was coming off only 1 TJ surgery, not 2. EOF would have been worth the money he got.

Yeah, that's not an easy claim to justify. If you go by just ERA (which is pretty dumb), then yes, EOF had a slightly better year than Venters in 2011, but since most people don't do that, then that muddles the discussion. At that point, it's all about preference. As K26 said, Venters was nearly unhittable when on, holding lefthanded hitters to a minuscule .127 BAA and righthanders to a .197 BAA compared to EOF's .195 & .233. The difference in WHIP was minimal, equating to one or two baserunners. Both of those years were great, but either side could say the other was better.

Venters best season is not as good as EOF's best season.

Venters - 2011 - 85 G, 88 IP, 53 H, 19 R, 18 ER, 2 HR, 43 BB, 96 SO, 1.84 ERA

EOF - 2011 - 78 G, 73 2/3 IP, 59 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 2 HR, 21 BB, 67 SO, 0.98 ERA

You mention Venters is younger, but seriously, do you know how much younger? 43 days. Venters is only 43 days younger than EOF. So no, age wasn't a factor in the decison, an if it was then yes Wren is a Moron.

EOF had a much longer, more proven, track record than Venters and was coming off only 1 TJ surgery, not 2. EOF would have been worth the money he got.

I wouldn't have signed either. But $7M and two years was the bigger risk.

Yeah, that's not an easy claim to justify. If you go by just ERA (which is pretty dumb), then yes, EOF had a slightly better year than Venters in 2011, but since most people don't do that, then that muddles the discussion. At that point, it's all about preference. As K26 said, Venters was nearly unhittable when on, holding lefthanded hitters to a minuscule .127 BAA and righthanders to a .197 BAA compared to EOF's .195 & .233. The difference in WHIP was minimal, equating to one or two baserunners. Both of those years were great, but either side could say the other was better.

EOF had a better FIP in 2011 than Venters did too.

I wouldn't have signed either. But $7M and two years was the bigger risk.

A risk worth taking considering the current state of the Atlanta Braves bullpen and knowing that Luis Avilan is a total ******* bum!

A risk worth taking considering the current state of the Atlanta Braves bullpen and knowing that Luis Avilan is a total ******* bum!

I'll give you $1,000 if you can get me some time-stamped evidence of you saying Avilan and Carpenter would be complete *** this year.

I'll give you $1,000 if you can get me some time-stamped evidence of you saying Avilan and Carpenter would be complete *** this year.

Luis Avilan wasn't even good last year. He was just lucky as ****. You can't walk that many batters with that few strikeouts and not expect it to catch up with you sooner or later. I didn't know what to expect from Carpenter this year because he came so far out of nowhere last year. Go back to all the posts from before the season. It's there. When everyone else was talking about the starting pitching I kept saying the starting pitching would be fine and that the Braves biggest issue would be the bullpen and bench. I'm not doing your dirty work for you because you don't remember my posts on here from before the season about be saying that Craig Kimbrel and Jordan Walden were the only proven guys we had in the bullpen and how Wren didn't do enough to make sure the bullpen wouldn't be a train wreck this season.

Avilan didn't walk that many batters in comparison to his IP. And the onus is on you to prove things like that. I'm not tasked with remember **** that you talk about.

Avilan didn't walk that many batters in comparison to his IP. And the onus is on you to prove things like that. I'm not tasked with remember **** that you talk about.

I'm not the one acting like a jackass because someone says something in August and I don't remember that they said the same dam thing in March. You don't believe I said this back in March. Well tough **** dude. I can't waste countless hours searching through endless threads and posts just to prove that I said this same thing back in March. If you're that keen on trying to prove me wrong then find the posts yourself.

I'm not keen on jack ****. I'm challenging you to back up your claims. If you aren't willing to do it, then that's on you. I couldn't give a lesser **** either way. But please, continue to get your panties in a wad like always when someone disagrees with what you say.

I'm not keen on jack ****. I'm challenging you to back up your claims. If you aren't willing to do it, then that's on you. I couldn't give a lesser **** either way. But please, continue to get your panties in a wad like always when someone disagrees with what you say.

I can't search this entire ******* board just to prove to you that what I said today I said back in March. It's ******* impossible because the search feature on this board is completely ******* useless. Again, I said back in March that the Braves bullpen would be a ******* train wreck this season. Everyone else was crying about how bad the starting pitching would be but I said it would be fine and it's been fine this season. But the bullpen has indeed been a train wreck. Sorry that you can't remember or chose not to remember. I don't have to prove jackshit to you. Even if I were able to find that post you would still wouldn't admit that I was right about it and that Frank Wren is a moron for not doing anything to address the Braves biggest weakness going into the season (the bullpen).

Or they could have signed or traded for a LHRP in the offseason that wasn't coming off Tommy John.

567 did say avilan wasn't that good

Thank you. Glad someone remembers those posts. I also said Carpenter was a complete unknown because before last year he was nothing but a jorneyman and then has that kind of season and there was no way of knowing if he would be capable of repeating it.

I can't search this entire ******* board just to prove to you that what I said today I said back in March. It's ******* impossible because the search feature on this board is completely ******* useless. Again, I said back in March that the Braves bullpen would be a ******* train wreck this season. Everyone else was crying about how bad the starting pitching would be but I said it would be fine and it's been fine this season. But the bullpen has indeed been a train wreck. Sorry that you can't remember or chose not to remember. I don't have to prove jackshit to you. Even if I were able to find that post you would still wouldn't admit that I was right about it and that Frank Wren is a moron for not doing anything to address the Braves biggest weakness going into the season (the bullpen).

rolleyes.gif I'm glad you have such great insight into my thoughts. My original comment was made tongue in cheek. You're the one who wanted to act all offended by it. Take the stick out of your *** and child the **** out.