Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

501 posts in this topic

Opening Day Roster

1. Tyler Pastornicky - #1 - INF - R-R

2. B.J. Upton - #2 - OF - R-R

3. Ryan Doumit - #4 - C/1B/OF - S-R

4. Freddie Freeman - #5 - 1B - L-R

5. Justin Upton - #8 - OF - R-R

6. Gerald Laird - #11 - C - R-R

7. Ramiro Pena - #14 - INF - S-R

8. Jordan Schafer - #17 - OF - L-L

9. Andrelton Simmons - #19 - SS - R-R

10. Jason Heyward - #22 - OF - L-L

11. Chris Johnson - #23 - 3B - R-R

12. Evan Gattis - #24 - C - R-R

13. Dan Uggla - #26 - 2B - R-R

14. Ervin Santana - #30 - P - R-R

15. Aaron Harang - #34 - P - R-R

16. Anthony Varvaro - #38 - P - R-R

17. Alex Wood - #40 - P - R-L

18. Luis Avilan - #43 - P - L-L

19. Craig Kimbrel - #46 - P - R-R

20. David Carpenter - #48 - P - R-R

21. Gus Schlosser - #50 - P - R-R

22. Jordan Walden - #52 - P - R-R

23. David Hale - #57 - P - R-R

24. Ian Thomas - #58 - P - R-L

25. Ryan Buchter - #59 - P - L-L

National TV Broadcasts

Wednesday, April 2 - Atlanta Braves at Milwaukee Brewers - 1:10 PM ET - MLB Network

Saturday, April 5 - Atlanta Braves at Washington Nationals - 7:05 PM ET - MLB Network

Sunday, April 13 - Washington Nationals at Atlanta Braves - 1:35 PM ET - MLB Network

Monday, April 14 - Atlanta Braves at Philadelphia Phillies - 7:05 PM ET - ESPN

Tuesday, April 15 - Atlanta Braves at Philadelphia Phillies - 7:05 PM ET - MLB Network

Thursday, April 17 - Atlanta Braves at Philadelphia Phillies - 1:05 PM ET - MLB Network

Wednesday, April 23 - Miami Marlins at Atlanta Braves - 12:10 PM ET - MLB Network

Friday, April 25 - Cincinnati Reds at Atlanta Braves - 7:35 PM ET - MLB Network

Saturday, April 26 - Cincinnati Reds at Atlanta Braves - 7:10 PM ET - MLB Network

Sunday, April 27 - Cincinnati Reds at Atlanta Braves - 1:35 PM ET - MLB Network

Monday, May 26 - Boston Red Sox at Atlanta Braves - 1:10 PM ET - ESPN

Tuesday, May 27 - Boston Red Sox at Atlanta Braves - 7:10 PM ET - ESPN

Saturday, May 31 - Atlanta Braves at Miami Marlins - 4:10 PM ET - FOX Sports 1

Saturday, June 14 - Los Angeles Angels at Atlanta Braves - 7:15 PM ET - FOX

Saturday, June 21 - Atlanta Braves at Washington Nationals - 7:15 PM ET - FOX

Saturday, July 5 - Arizona Diamondbacks at Atlanta Braves - 4;10 PM ET - FOX Sports 1

Saturday, August 23 - Atlanta Braves at Cincinnati Reds - 7:10 PM ET - FOX Sports 1

Monday, September 1 - Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves - 1:10 PM ET - ESPN

Saturday, September 13 - Atlanta Braves at Texas Rangers - 1:05 PM ET - FOX

R.C. Collins likes this

The Braves have exactly 4 players on the 25-man roster over the age of 30 right now (Uggla, Doumit, Laird, and Harang). So of those guys, two are bench players (who will likely not be in Atlanta next season), one is only in the rotation due to emergency, and one is a starter on a short leash that has a younger player breathing down his neck.

This is what national pundits don't seem to get about the Braves; when the core of a team is all young, predominantly veteran, and in their prime, it's much more unlikely that the team as a whole will take a step back. While they likley all won't improve precisely year-over-year, it's far more likely that the Braves core players will improve their performance than the Nationals will.

This is why the departures of Hudson and McCann and the injuries to Medlen and Beachy, while painful, aren't necessarily dealbreakers when it comes to the Braves chances of contention.

The Braves have exactly 4 players on the 25-man roster over the age of 30 right now (Uggla, Doumit, Laird, and Harang). So of those guys, two are bench players (who will likely not be in Atlanta next season), one is only in the rotation due to emergency, and one is a starter on a short leash that has a younger player breathing down his neck.

This is what national pundits don't seem to get about the Braves; when the core of a team is all young, predominantly veteran, and in their prime, it's much more unlikely that the team as a whole will take a step back. While they likley all won't improve precisely year-over-year, it's far more likely that the Braves core players will improve their performance than the Nationals will.

This is why the departures of Hudson and McCann and the injuries to Medlen and Beachy, while painful, aren't necessarily dealbreakers when it comes to the Braves chances of contention.

BOOM!!!!! That's exactly why I said the Braves would be better this season. Of course that was before the injuries to Medlen and Beachy. But still. My point remains relevant and true.

for those who dont know, MLB Ticket is doing a free preview for now. Not sure how long it goes but ive been able to watch all of the games on it so far

Last year when the Braves were striking out a ton they were still walking a ton to balance it out. Well there's good news and bad news to report on that front in the early going of 2014.

The Braves as a team have 82 strikeouts this season which is tied with the Red Sox for 10th most in the majors. So a positive step in the right direction. But here comes the bad side of that stat. The Braves have walked just 18 times this season. That's tied with the Brewers for 28th in the majors. The only team with less is the Tigers at 15. The difference there is that the Tigers have racked up just 44 strikeouts to the Braves 82.

Freddie Freeman (6) and Jason Heyward (5) have combined for 11 of those 18 walks. That means the rest of the team has combined for 7 walks.

Freddie Freeman has 6 walks and only 4 strikeouts so far this season. Keep doing your thing Freddie!

I would venture a guess that if the Braves get back to walking more the offense will improve.

Except for Heyward*, none of the line-up have been good about running deep counts this season. The team is popping up and flying out early in the count a lot. I'd be happy to see more strikeouts if it meant working the counts more and also drawing more walks.

*Freeman gets a pass because he has the best strike-zone judgement on the team, he pretty much only swings at strikes, so he's more likely to get early-count hits.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Simmons pops up way too much. He has an under cut/off balance swing.

It's very, very, very early but so far Simmons has done a much better job of not popping up. His IFFB% is only 8.3% so far this season compared to 17.5% in 2012 and 17.8% in 2013. But his overall FB% is up to 40.0% over 27.2% in 2012 and 39.1% in 2013. But his LD% is down. Right now I think Simmons needs an extended look in the 2 hole.

I was going to cut the cable and just get MLB.tv, but that service is basically useless if you live local to Braves games. That service blacks out local games.

Honestly, that seems so stupid to me, they would get many more subscribers if they didn't bow down to local TV sevice providers.

I was going to cut the cable and just get MLB.tv, but that service is basically useless if you live local to Braves games. That service blacks out local games.

Honestly, that seems so stupid to me, they would get many more subscribers if they didn't bow down to local TV sevice providers.

There are ways around the blackout, but it requires some computer knowledge and a proxy or VPN service of some sort. The workaround only works on laptops that I know of. Worked well for me last year until I switched to comcast, and my proxy stopped working last year. I used http://www.unblock-us.com/. It was like $5 a month,.

Exactly.

There are ways around the blackout, but it requires some computer knowledge and a proxy or VPN service of some sort. The workaround only works on laptops that I know of. Worked well for me last year until I switched to comcast, and my proxy stopped working last year. I used http://www.unblock-us.com/. It was like $5 a month,.

But it's kind of a crap connection for HD streaming to go through a VPN or Proxy especially if you already have a slow connection 6mbps or less.

If they allowed that, the local stations wouldn't get any advertisers and the biggest reason to get cable/satellite (live sports) would vanish which would probably kill those companies.

R.C. Collins likes this

If they allowed that, the local stations wouldn't get any advertisers and the biggest reason to get cable/satellite (live sports) would vanish which would probably kill those companies.

That's a lame excuse. When you listen to a radio broadcast on MLB.tv they still play the local commercials so the advertisers still get their pub. There's no reason they can't do the same for the tv broadcasts. The satellite and cable companies would be fine because there are plenty of people that don't watch sports.