Offensive Tackle

Why does everyone keep saying we NEED to take a Tackle with one of our 1st 3 picks? We have 4 guys to compete for 1 spot and we brought in a new OL coach to get the guys we already have better. I know these guys weren't the greatest but with better coaching I think we will have a much better OL this season. If those guys can't cut it this season there's always next season to draft a Tackle. Mike Johnson, Lamar Holmes, Gabe Carmi and Ryan Schraeder should be all we need this season and we could grab a Billy Turner, Seantrel Henderson or Cameron Fleming(big raw talent guys) later in the draft.

How many times last season did allow QBs to sit in the pocket and pick us apart? The breaking point for me was when Geno freakin Smith had a career day against us. Clowney/Mack would give us that instant pass rusher.

Our pass rushers are better than our OT prospects. We need both, but Bierman, Osi, Massaquoi, Maponga is far better than Johnson/Carimi/Schraeder at RT.

Again we have a new OL coach(Tice) and a different coach can sometimes get the best out of the players that are already here. Now it's definitely not a guarantee but neither is the a drafted prospect that will come in here to compete with the guys we already have.

Osi, Mass, Goodman and Maponga could be good but a guy like Clowney or Mack would take this defense to another level imo.

We have 4 guys to compete but not one of them are worth a ****

Normally you have pretty good comments but this one you could've kept. Any RT that would've been next to Garrett Reynolds would've looked like crap. Plus given the fact that we have a new OL coach I think will make a difference. I would much rather wait and see with the guys we already have rather than draft an OL with a high rd pk.

Normally you have pretty good comments but this one you could've kept. Any RT that would've been next to Garrett Reynolds would've looked like crap. Plus given the fact that we have a new OL coach I think will make a difference. I would much rather wait and see with the guys we already have rather than draft an OL with a high rd pk.

#1 Reynolds didn't play there the entire season.

#2 Last time we got a new OLine coach everyone said the same things.

Lets see we have the following:

Baker - one good year (contract year) and always hurt.

JB - consistently meh

Hawley - pretty sure he will start. Better than Konz is the only thing I can say about him.

new dude - I'll take yalls word that he is pretty good.

RT - about 4 dudes and they're all garbage. Maybe one has a miraculous turn around. I'd rather not go in to the season hoping on that.

there's not a single one of them that shouldn't be upgraded. Do I trust TD to find a replacement after the 6th pick? Nah because we will end up with another Konz/Holmes/Johnson etc...

JB - consistently meh

Hawley - pretty sure he will start. Better than Konz is the only thing I can say about him.

RT - about 4 dudes and they're all garbage. Maybe one has a miraculous turn around. I'd rather not go in to the season hoping on that.

there's not a single one of them that shouldn't be upgraded. Do I trust TD to find a replacement after the 6th pick? Nah because we will end up with another Konz/Holmes/Johnson etc...

So you having given all those negative views what's your point? What do you think we should do?

I have to agree with those who think OT is the biggest need.

On the practical side

Most things I've read say that the DE/OLB pool is much deeper than the OT pool---if that is true then

you take a player from the small pool (OT) before it dries up,, there will still be good players in the larger pool (DE/OLB) when the 2nd pick roll around.

another way to say it

taking a 90 rated OT in the first and a 90 rated OLB in the 2nd

is better than taking a 100 rated OLB in the 1st and a 70 rated OT in the second

I thought it was implied, that I was saying get one of the two top rated tackles. Robinson would be prefered. I really wished we upgraded in FA but know its not realistic to upgrade both lines in one offseason.

with all that said I wouldn't mind if TD went ahead and traded up for Clowney. I just don't care if he gives up later picks because he hasn't shown he can find a quality player in said rounds.

We praised our last new OL coach and that turned out like ****. Its time to start pointing out the lack of talent on the OL. Thanks TD

We can be a bit optimistic about our DL since we at least tried to upgrade it via FA (2 of 3 if the MB is correct about a 3-4). Yes I recall one new OL but the other 4 are garbage.

I say we must upgrade the OL early. I believe our pass rushers are more talented than out OL. That's not saying much though.

JB - consistently meh

Hawley was better than konz last year..... Players can improve. Next

We have a QB that its great in the pocket. With a good pocket and time, men, hes awesome.

Now if he feel pressure, or has to step out of the pocket, well, I don´t like our chances.

We need a beast O line. And I want to take an OT in the first pick, so next year, he replaces Baker.

A good Oline allows you to be creative, to run the ball, to do some play action and to go deep to Julioooo.

If you want a ring, you need an above average O line. Especially with Matty

The same arguments that are made for a pass rusher and against an OT at #6 are the same arguments that could be made in reverse. Just change the names and positions in the OP.

Why does everyone keep saying we NEED to take a pass rusher with one of our 1st 3 picks? We have 4 guys to compete for 1 spot and we brought in a new DL coach to get the guys we already have better. I know these guys weren't the greatest but with better coaching I think we will have a much better DL this season. If those guys can't cut it this season there's always next season to draft a pass rusher. Osi, Biermann, Massaquoi and Maponga should be all we need this season and we could grab a Marcus Smith, Jeremiah Attaochu or Carl Bradford later in the draft.

How many times last season did our QB not have time to sit in the pocket and pick teams apart? The breaking point for me was when Greg Hardy and the Panthers had a career day against us. Jake Matthews would give us that instant pass protection.

We need both an OT and a pass rusher. We have bodies at both positions, but not a stud. Taking either at #6 is a win. You may have a preference, but wanting an OT over pass rusher or vice versa doesn't make the other side wrong.

I don't think you can say all four or five guys fightingvfor the tackle spot are garbage. We had a revolving door at center and right guard. LT was a turnstile as well. Health, stability and new coaching has to help. Out of the competitors, I think Johnson is probably our winner. But I am pulling for Carimi. If he wins the battle convincingly, that is a major win for us. And we could.use a break for a change. We always seem to bring in reclamation projects and they don't work out often. We are due a homerun on one.