Caraun Reid Dt Princeton

CARAUN REID, DT

SCHOOL: PRINCETON | CONFERENCE: IVY

COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR | HOMETOWN: BRONX, NY

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-2 / 301 LBS.

40y / 4.91

225 bench / 20

90% of the time Ivy League footballers are no more then afterthought in a scouts mind.

I have read up and watch many videos of this guy (his highlights and full games) and I've even gone into most websites to try to look up information on him.

I've had sort of a run for the past few weeks and smaller school guys trying to find the depth in this draft. This is one of those guys ,one of those playmakers that could give you quality depth and could be a starter years down the road.

CBSSports has a small column on this man I'd like to share that with you today.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Possesses a thick, well-proportioned frame with good upper-body development. Good first step quickness off the ball and shows surprising development in his pass rush technique, including an effective over-arm swim move, rip and powerful bull rush. Gets his hands up in passing lanes if he isn't able to get to the quarterback.

Flexible athlete. Dips his shoulder to slip under the initial punch of offensive linemen and possesses good core strength and leg drive to force his way through gaps. Bends at the knees, anchoring well to double-teams. Enjoyed a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl and recorded sacks on two consecutive plays during the game, itself.

WEAKNESSES: Appears to have a maxed-out frame. Obvious level of competition questions. Intelligent and well-rounded off the field, which some suggests mean that he could be a player who may not love or need the game as much as preferred.

Missed all but the first game of the 2010 season with a torn pectoral. Relies on his burst, making him a potentially better fit in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4.

COMPARES TO: Dwan Edwards, Carolina Panthers - Like Edwards (6-3, 305), Reid possesses a short, squatty frame and the combination of burst and power to quickly earn a spot in a team's rotation in the middle. He has starred against questionable competition and may not possess an elite upside but due to his technique and dedication, Reid is surprisingly pro-ready.

--Rob Rang (2/4/14)

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Generally-speaking, NFL scouts view Ivy League schools like museums - somewhere to visit to appreciate the culture but not a place one expects to find something they can take home to add to their own collection.

With Reid, however, it isn't a question of if he'll be selected in the 2014 draft but when, especially after an impressive performance during the Senior Bowl which silenced critics who suggested that the two-time All-American built his production off inferior competition.

Back to back All-American seasons don't come often for the Tigers, who hadn't seen anyone accomplish the feat in 20 years and had only six earn this success in consecutive campaigns since 1950.

Reid possesses good quickness and refined technique to penetrate gaps and make plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage and has starred inside and out for the Tigers, racking up 168 tackles, 41 tackles for loss, 20.5 sacks and seven blocked kicks over his illustrious career. While he often played on the nose as a senior, his burst projects best to the three-technique role in the NFL.

My take -

From a depth perspective Reid is more of a Jonathan Babineaux ( sorry for the miss spelling if I did) and could play that 3–tech and was coached up and rushing the passer he could be a fantastic addition to this team. No obviously there are many others like him within the draft they can do just what he does as a defensive end in the 34 or defensive tackle in the 43 , and no one can knock him for his competition that he played an Ivy League ( enter the Mack discussion)

What are your thoughts picking him up in the late rounds?

At the Senior bowl weigh ins they said he had one of the most impressively muscular physiques there. So, we won't be saying "he needs to put on more muscle" in the 2015 offseason.

In a recent interview I watched with him he said he doesn't learn the playbook for his position he learns all the position on the D-Line. So, there shouldn't be any complaining about him being in the wrong position or taking the wrong guy.

I'd love to have him and I think he could play 43 DT and 34 DE with no problems. Give me him and Kerr and I'll be very happy.

Edited by The O.D.B

At the Senior bowl weigh ins they said he had one of the most impressively muscular physiques there. So, we won't be saying "he needs to put on more muscle" in the 2015 offseason.

In a recent interview I watched with him he said he doesn't learn the playbook for his position he learns all the position on the D-Line. So, there shouldn't be any complaining about him being in the wrong position or taking the wrong guy.

I'd love to have him and I think he could play 43 DT and 34 DE with no problems. Give me him and Kerr and I'll be very happy.

YES YES YEA YES!