There Is No Wrong Answer To 'draft Ot Or Pass Rusher At 6" Question

falconidae

Seriously, assuming the player picked at 6 is a stud, Falcons are fine either way.

Draft a pass rusher, say Mack, for example. Falcons haven't had a young stud pass rusher for years. That's makes everybody's job on the D easier. D gets more 3 and outs & more turnovers. Other team scores fewer points. Falcon offense gets more possessions and can take fewer risks. Solid OT available in 2nd round.

Draft an OT, say Matthews[ or Robinson]. Oline is solidified. Run game improves, play action improves, Ryan finally has a consistent pocket to step into. Falcons have longer drives and score more points. D gets to rest and play a one dimensional team because the opposing O has to throw to catch up. Solid pass rusher available 2nd round.

Which is great for the Falcons, because, if Clowney and Mack are gone, good bet Matthews or Robinson are there. If OTs are gone, good bet the stud pass rusher is there.

Draft could break completely wrong for the Falcons with all 4 of the top picks -Mack, Clowney, Robinson, Matthews- gone and no one wanting to trade up to 6. Thinks the chances of that are vanishingly small.

Think the Falcons take a great step forward with whoever they pick at 6.

I agree its win/win in a sense, but the chance to draft a Clowney or a Mack doesnt come about vety often. I'm even for trading up for either of those guys. Especially after our bad year last year, this is the PERFECT time to get er done. O line help can be found either later on it the draft, or closer to the season when the last cuts happen. This is our chance to changr our Defense, to a formidable force. Lets not pass that up! Rising up for '14! I cant wait.

The Falcons have scouted hundreds of players and continue to do so. They have watched 100's of hours of game tape. They have researched contracts, have a good idea of how other teams are scouting and ranking players. Any decision they make will be based on data and experience. These aren't the Marion Campbell days.

I honestly have faith they know what they are doing. But I acknowledge that there are some on this forum with far superior football intellects, and without 80% of the data and inside knowledge/experience, routinely make far superior judgement on player personnel decisions. But if only they had had the chance to show the world. So we are tortured listening to their mountains of whining daily.

I fully expect Dimitropioli, The scouts, the other front office personnel, Mike Smith, Mike Nolan, Dirk Koetter and the other coaches to get it done this year. No excuses. They have used them all. If not, Mr. Blank will make changes swiftly and we will move in another direction. Business is a *****. Its put up or shut up time.

So far this off season, undeniably, we have made.huge changes. From the top down. FA is still in play, the draft is 5 weeks away and camp to follow shortly there after. I anticipate and fully expect a massive turn around, or just as expectedly, I envision a blindingly fast change of regime.

Wrong.

A franchise OT that is the complete package and pro ready is very, very hard to obtain.

And a true stud pass rusher who is the complete package- good on coverage and against the run- is just as hard to obtain.

THIS year, there are couple of stud pass rushers AND a couple of stud pass protectors in the top ten, maybe 3 of each if you count Lewan and Barr. Falcons will be a much better team whichever way they decide to go.

None of those guys can play LT if Baker went down or is eventually cut.

Zach Martin projects as a guard.

There are 3 OTs that can play LT and RT at a high level and they will all be taken in the top 10.

You also forgot to list all the pass rushers that will be available in round 2 (Attaochu, Van Noy, etc..)

When has Robinson ever played RT? You say he can do it @ a high level when he's never done it at all. The same goes with Lewan. When has he ever played RT?

The main differences between LT and RT are that the LT must be a great pass protector (if you have a right handed QB) and the RT is typically the best run blocker.

All 3 of the top OTs are good enough in pass protection and run blocking to play either LT or RT. All the 2nd round OTs either don't have the right body type or aren't good enough in pass pro to play LT.

Robinson is as raw in pass pro as they come. He's a 2 year starter with very little experience in pass pro. You're clearly just making stuff up now.

In his limited opportunities he's shown well in pass pro. And he's such a physical beast that he'd have no problem being coached up into a top pass protecting LT.

But you just said that all three are good enough in pass pro NOW to play LT. I'm not saying he can't be coached into it, but no way is he ready right NOW.

Seriously, assuming the player picked at 6 is a stud, Falcons are fine either way.

Draft a pass rusher, say Mack, for example. Falcons haven't had a young stud pass rusher for years. That's makes everybody's job on the D easier. D gets more 3 and outs & more turnovers. Other team scores fewer points. Falcon offense gets more possessions and can take fewer risks. Solid OT available in 2nd round.

Draft an OT, say Matthews[ or Robinson]. Oline is solidified. Run game improves, play action improves, Ryan finally has a consistent pocket to step into. Falcons have longer drives and score more points. D gets to rest and play a one dimensional team because the opposing O has to throw to catch up. Solid pass rusher available 2nd round.

Which is great for the Falcons, because, if Clowney and Mack are gone, good bet Matthews or Robinson are there. If OTs are gone, good bet the stud pass rusher is there.

Draft could break completely wrong for the Falcons with all 4 of the top picks -Mack, Clowney, Robinson, Matthews- gone and no one wanting to trade up to 6. Thinks the chances of that are vanishingly small.

Think the Falcons take a great step forward with whoever they pick at 6.

Here is the one overriding fact that refutes the pass rusher vs OT argument:

Ever since TD arrived the Falcons have had multiple opportunities to draft pass rushers. It is an absolute mystery, to me, why he has failed to do so.

But the one, and only, true opportunity TD has had to find an instant or nearly instant starter for our O line, is when TD passed up Brandon Albert to draft Matt Ryan (and no I am not saying that was a bad move, we needed a QB).

If TD's many O line projects had worked out, we would not be having this conversation. We also would not be drafting this high either. A good running game is absolutely vital for us to get to, and win in, the playoffs. Not having a run attack was our number one problem last year.

Right now we have two viable O linemen, Blalock and Asamoah. No other team would want Baker, or Hawley, or Konz, or Holmes to play for them. If Matthews or Robinson is there at six, TD needs to draft them, so he can fix our LT position for the next decade.,

Edited by egoprime II

I don't see this as a great draft . You do ?

I think there are4 star talents . Mack , Clowney , Watkins, Greg Robinson

Think the QB class can be weak outside JF or one of value picks

Secondary is really low on talent

WR class is deep

LBs not impressed

Def line got a lot of questionable players .

Just not impressed with this draft class

It's like 2011, only much more 1st round caliber talent.

Here is the one overriding fact that refutes the pass rusher vs OT argument:

Ever since TD arrived the Falcons have had multiple opportunities to draft pass rushers. It is an absolute mystery, to me, why he has failed to do so.

But the one, and only, true opportunity TD has had to find an instant or nearly instant starter for our O line, is when TD passed up Brandon Albert to draft Matt Ryan (and no I am not saying that was a bad move, we needed a QB).

If TD's many O line projects had worked out, we would not be having this conversation. We also would not be drafting this high either. A good running game is absolutely vital for us to get to, and win in, the playoffs. Not having a run attack was our number one problem last year.

Right now we have two viable O linemen, Blalock and Asamoah. No other team would want Baker, or Hawley, or Konz, or Holmes to play for them. If Matthews or Robinson is there at six, TD needs to draft them, so he can fix our LT position for the next decade.,

Or, he needs to draft Clowney or Mack to fix the pass rushing/elite player D has lacked problem.

That's the point of this thread, as long as TD gets it right at 6, this team is much improved.

I like how you said he was wrong, but then posted something just as baseless as what he said with zero fact to back it up.

And a true stud pass rusher who is the complete package- good on coverage and against the run- is just as hard to obtain.

There should be no debate that excellent pass rushers are easier to find in later rounds than excellent tackles. This is easily backed up by looking at recent players. in this year's pro bowl, 5/6 tackles were first rounders, and 4 top 10, and this doesn't include players like Brown or Clady. For ends, the number is 4/6 (one top 10) and for OLBs it is 3/6 (one top 10). I suspect that you'll see the same trend in previous years as well. Elite OTs that go undrafted or drafted (such as Peters) in late rounds are rare to find in comparison to undrafted or late round elite rushers abound (Allen, Bennet, Johnson, Hardy, Harrison, Mathis, Wake, etc).