Is A Fresh Ham Or A Cured Ham Better To Smoke?

jb 3.0

My kids went in and bought me a Weber smoker for my birthday. I've already smoked several pork butts & some ribs on it, but wanted to do a ham or two for Easter. I've never smoked a ham, and wondering if smoking a fresh ham won't give you pretty much the same thing as a pork butt.

Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tip for ya that I learned by much trial and error. Dont smoke a ham unless you cold smoke it. It takes very very little to dry out a ham in a smoker, but they come out very good in a cold smoker

Thanks for the heads up, but cold smoking's not my really my thing. I just didn't want to go the typical spiraled ham route.

Thanks for the heads up, but cold smoking's not my really my thing. I just didn't want to go the typical spiraled ham route.

if i were you and was going to smoke with heat id try a fresh ham. A brined one will be easier to dry out because of the massive salt content. Either way, take it out as quick as you can while still getting the smoky flavor because it will **** sure dry out fast. Maybe put a dish of water in there with it to keep the air a little moister

if i were you and was going to smoke with heat id try a fresh ham. A brined one will be easier to dry out because of the massive salt content. Either way, take it out as quick as you can while still getting the smoky flavor because it will **** sure dry out fast. Maybe put a dish of water in there with it to keep the air a little moister

That's what I do usually anyway, with this weber smoker.

JB, you better bring that smoker(any kind) with ya next year fro tailgates.

I'm eager try me some.

It takes a good 12 hours minimum to smoke pork butts. I'll bring one already smoked & pulled & heat it up on the grill. GOOD STUFF! Hope to see ya tonight @ Ray Jay.

It takes a good 12 hours minimum to smoke pork butts. I'll bring one already smoked & pulled & heat it up on the grill. GOOD STUFF! Hope to see ya tonight @ Ray Jay.

Perfect, plenty of time for a primetime game. Ohh I'll be there at 6:30 sharp! I Plan on taking FULL advantage of the free beer...lol (not driving)

Edited by Buc-man™®

Hey, Thanks everybody for all the GREAT suggestions!rolleyes.gif

Don't mean you LouDog or Buc_Man.

Sorry, bro...I was just wondering if you had papers big enough to smoke either of them...

Seriously, i think you've already got it nailed. A fresh ham is no different than a butt... got your basic pulled pork right there. A cured ham... basically you're just reheating it, so wrap that mutha in foil before you put it on. Smoke will still permeate the meat but you'll retain moisture.

Edited by Falconcheff

Sorry, bro...I was just wondering if you had papers big enough to smoke either of them...

Seriously, i think you've already got it nailed. A fresh ham is no different than a butt... got your basic pulled pork right there. A cured ham... basically you're just reheating it, so wrap that mutha in foil before you put it on. Smoke will still permeate the meat but you'll retain moisture.

Thanks Cheffie, I found some more detailed info online, and it said basically the same thing you did.

So JB, what's the plan for the ham?

I'm taking Cheffie's advice and see how it turns out. Gonna buy a couple of cured hams, slather them with spicy mustard & brown sugar, wrap 'em in foil then smoke 'em for about 3 or 4 hours @ 225 with cherry & apple wood.

We'll see how it turns out. Though I'm still not sure if I'll be doing it, I don't know if you all realize it or not, but Easter is on 4/20. I've been invited by some United For Care friends to go with 'em out to Denver for the Cannabis Cup that weekend, and my wife already gave me the okay. I hear it's supposed to be pretty awesome, especially now with weed being entirely legal in Colorado.

If I do stay home for Easter, I'll be smoking the hams and I'll let you know how they turn out.

I'm taking Cheffie's advice and see how it turns out. Gonna buy a couple of cured hams, slather them with spicy mustard & brown sugar, wrap 'em in foil then smoke 'em for about 3 or 4 hours @ 225 with cherry & apple wood.

We'll see how it turns out. Though I'm still not sure if I'll be doing it, I don't know if you all realize it or not, but Easter is on 4/20. I've been invited by some United For Care friends to go with 'em out to Denver for the Cannabis Cup that weekend, and my wife already gave me the okay. I hear it's supposed to be pretty awesome, especially now with weed being entirely legal in Colorado.

If I do stay home for Easter, I'll be smoking the hams and I'll let you know how they turn out.

Hey, man...you'd better not come to Colorado without looking me up...I can be in Denver in an hour, and I'd love ta kick you in the nutz in person!

biggrin.png

Seriously, though...let me know if you're coming...

Hey, man...you'd better not come to Colorado without looking me up...I can be in Denver in an hour, and I'd love ta kick you in the nutz in person!

biggrin.png

Seriously, though...let me know if you're coming...

Will do, although it looks like I may not, at least not for the Cannabis Cup. I'll definitely shoot you a PM when we do head out there though.