Over 6 Million Now Enrolled In Private Insurance Through Obamacare.

from what I have seen at kff.org, someone with silver level coverage is still going to be responsible for nearly 30% of an MRI

does a poor person have a grand to drop on the copay for their MRI? (prices for MRIs fluctuate wildly....obviously it could end up being cheaper)

if it turns out poor, or maybe lower middle class would be better, can't handle the out of pocket expenses have we actually done anything to help?

Good question. I'm not sure whether someone can be turned away because they cannot afford the copay. I know that's the case for Medicaid in most states, but not sure about private insurance. If they have the MRI done at a hospital, then I'm almost positive that they can't be turned away. They might have some debt to the hospital that they can't pay, but then they're poor so the hospital isn't getting anything out of them anyway. Most of the really poor people will get on Medicaid and the cost is no longer a problem. Middle income people might have to fork over a few thousand if they have something seriously wrong, but there is a yearly out of pocket cap, so they won't be spending more than $6000 individual or $12,000 family each year.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the plans have co-pays, depending on the state as Eatcorn said. The bronze plans tend to have higher copays and deductibles.

and if the people that this is supposed to help, the poor and middle class, can't come up with the copays are they really better off?

I would say that US News is a better source than what Snake or our resident neo-cons throw out (although I could be wrong) and this is troubling

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/hospital-of-tomorrow/articles/2013/10/30/top-hospitals-opt-out-of-obamacare

and if the people that this is supposed to help, the poor and middle class, can't come up with the copays are they really better off?

I would say that US News is a better source than what Snake or our resident neo-cons throw out (although I could be wrong) and this is troubling

http://health.usnews...ut-of-obamacare

Sure, that's troubling. But keep in mind that the vast majority of people are not getting insurance through the exchange. The exchange is for people who are uninsured or who have individual (not employer) policies that no longer are compliant with the ACA. One the one hand, compared to the 7 million estimate, the 6 million seems pretty good given the disastrous rollout in October. On the other hand, it's only 6 million people who got insurance through the exchange, so the article you cited only applies to those 6 million people, not the broader population who receives insurance through Medicare, Medicaid, or employer insurance.

That seems impossible. How could hospitals operate if they just deny care to people who buy private insurance from a major carrier? How would they even know where you got your policy?

That seems impossible. How could hospitals operate if they just deny care to people who buy private insurance from a major carrier? How would they even know where you got your policy?

I'm guessing that the argument is that these hospitals are no longer on those insurance providers' networks, so people who go there would have to pay out of pocket because their insurance wouldn't cover it. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Sure, that's troubling. But keep in mind that the vast majority of people are not getting insurance through the exchange. The exchange is for people who are uninsured or who have individual (not employer) policies that no longer are compliant with the ACA. One the one hand, compared to the 7 million estimate, the 6 million seems pretty good given the disastrous rollout in October. On the other hand, it's only 6 million people who got insurance through the exchange, so the article you cited only applies to those 6 million people, not the broader population who receives insurance through Medicare, Medicaid, or employer insurance.

and I would argue that the whole reason for this sweeping legislation that has to be paid for is specifically for those people and if it won't serve a practical purpose based on what is in this article and ability to pay copayments, then what is it for?

then you also have an increasing number of doctors opting out of insurance entirely

again...I think this whole thing about signup numbers and premiums is a red herring. there are a lot of unanswered questions about the practical applications of this system and nobody is really addressing them

and I would argue that the whole reason for this sweeping legislation that has to be paid for is specifically for those people and if it won't serve a practical purpose based on what is in this article and ability to pay copayments, then what is it for?

then you also have an increasing number of doctors opting out of insurance entirely

again...I think this whole thing about signup numbers and premiums is a red herring. there are a lot of unanswered questions about the practical applications of this system and nobody is really addressing them

I doubt that many doctors are "opting out of insurance entirely". Not sure how a person can sustain a practice without taking any insurance of any kind.

The signup numbers and rates do give us only limited information about the effectiveness of the law. Then again, it's only been about six months and something like this is going to take years to understand. My point in posting these numbers is to get some actual facts out there about the website itself. Since the early problems, it looks like they've gotten the website fixed and that it's working the way that it was intended to work.

The health care market hasn't changed dramatically for most people. For example, I still have the same plan and approximately the same copays that I had before the law. That's because I get insurance through my employer. Most people are like me in that regard. Aside from the trends in the cost of health insurance - higher premiums and deductibles - that predate the law, I'm not sure that I see where the big disturbances in the market have been.

This isn't a perfect law and there are going to be unintended consequences. Some people are going to be worse off than they were before in terms of higher rates or higher deductibles. Some people are better off, obviously. I guess my point is that at least some parts are working as anticipated. The news is not all negative.

Would a person who qualifies for a full subsidy qualify for medicaid?

No, you either qualify for medicaid or you qualify for a subsidy. Because some states have opted out of the Medicaid extension, you do have some people too poor to get subsidies but who earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid. Those people are the ones who are pretty much screwed.

If this whole thing was supposed to get 45 million uninsured people insured (at the expense of higher costs to many that had lower costs previously, (forget the quality of healthcare in the future) that will be out the window, and only 6 million have sighed up, many of those that previously had health insurance, what do you really think Dago?

no-obamacare-300x300.jpg

From Forbes.com:

Benefit Experts Agree With Obama That ACA Has Enough Enrolled

Health benefits consultants agree with President Obama’s assessment this week that enough Americans have signed up to private health plans under the Affordable Care Act that it will work even though there could be up to two million fewer Americans covered than the White House had hoped.

<snip>

So far, however, health insurance companies have said the enrollment is trending younger and there have been few surprises that would require them to pull out of the program.

Americans can still enroll through the end of this month for coverage in 2014. Under the law, millions of Americans can get a subsidy of up to $5,000 to purchase an array of health plan choices that include those sold by Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans, Aetna (AET), Cigna (CI), Humana (HUM), UnitedHealth Group (UNH), depending on the state.

Despite the technical issues that dogged the healthcare.gov website and prevented millions of Americans from signing up in October and much of November, benefits consultants said they always expected the enrollment to be slow.

“Six or seven million people doesn’t sound like much in a population of 300 million, but when you consider that the majority of Americans gets their health insurance through employers, and another large chunk is covered by government programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare, you’re left with 12 million covered in the Individual market and about 48 million uninsured pre-ACA,” said Helen Leis, partner in the health and life sciences practice group at Oliver Wyman, “Six or seven million of that is good uptake after less than six months. We expect to see about 22 million lives on the public exchanges by 2018.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2014/03/15/benefit-experts-agree-with-obama-that-aca-has-enough-enrolled/

Success. Greatest trampling of rights of all time. Success.

Wait until the program implodes. The crying from the libs will be enough to make even me feel sorry for them. But they will always be able to blame someone else. Obama has pawned all of this off onto his successor. He came up with this pig and didn't have the balls to implement it and answer for it himself.

No big deal. It will collapse under its own weight and conservatives will be held responsible for getting us back on track.