Smith--Toilolo Is Assist Man

falcndave

i think he is just saying that TE will not be the same now that tony is gone and that he will not be relied upon to make plays, but make plays when they are available to him. fine by me, i m still of the opinion that tony stunted matts growth being a security blanket.

Tony Gonzalez is irreplaceable -- this we know. And you don't have to remind Falcons coach Mike Smith about it either.

Many assumed second-year tight end Levine Toilolo would insta-replace Gonzalez but based on how Smith spoke, he shouldn't be counted on to be as big of a contributor.

"It's definitely going to be a different style of offense," Smith said at the NFL Owners Meeting in Orlando this week. "We talk all the time about having to have scorers and having assist men. The tight end position in the last five or six years has been filled by a guy that's a scorer. I think the person that will take that role moving forward will be an assist man and there will be a different skill set."

In limited play last year Toilolo had 11 catches for 55 yards, but with two touchdowns.

"I think you'll see more of a traditional Y-tight end; Tony was a hybrid, the first hybrid tight end," Smith said. "Last year we drafted Levine Toilolo and he's more of a Y-tight end. Tony is a guy that's had 80-plus catches on average for us, so there's going to be a redistribution of who the ball is going to go to and we've got a couple of guys that we feel really good about at the wide receiver position. ... I think the role that the tight end (will have) is going from the scoring guy to the assist man or the set-up man."

Smith figures that the Falcons will use other weapons in the passing game and anticipates opponents rolling their pass coverage outside. Makes sense considering their receiving corps. But this should end discussion about Toilolo as a Fantasy sleeper. Being called an "assist man" by your head coach typically isn't a good thing.

Tony Gonzalez was the true assist man, people here may buy into the whole 'stunting Matt Ryan's growth' thing, but reality is a large chunk of the defense always had to account for Tony. Gone are the days of Tony clearing out a space and having Roddy, Julio or HD come in behind and take a short pass for a gain. It's up to the coaches to re-invent the offense without losing production, a tall task indeed.

Guest King Jigsaw

Hmm.. this might be a jump but do you think we target someone like Charles Sims or Dri Archer even more now with these quotes? Saying that we're reinventing out offense and not relying on TE to catch 80+ balls a season means they have to go somewhere. Roddy and Julio both figure to have triple digit catches and HD will continue to get looks but I see a NO-esque screen game blossoming.

we have 3 wrs who can move anywhere on the field in roddy, hd, and julio (I think). we also still have a couple of rbs who can catch some balls. not to mention now hester who will be a gadget man in this offense. if done right we can cause nightmares. I still like kotter but not sure he can do it, its a prove it season for me with him. when we get in the redzone thats when levine will be a factor I bet he will have 4- 6 tds this yr

Tony Gonzalez was the true assist man, people here may buy into the whole 'stunting Matt Ryan's growth' thing, but reality is a large chunk of the defense always had to account for Tony. Gone are the days of Tony clearing out a space and having Roddy, Julio or HD come in behind and take a short pass for a gain. It's up to the coaches to re-invent the offense without losing production, a tall task indeed.

Exactly, people that think Toilolo can replace Tony or Tony didn't bring much to the offense really didn't watch.

They probably saw highlights or broadcast coverage. If you've ever watched the games live in person or the all 22 coaches film then you get a true appreciation of what Tony brought to the table how good he was.

People do not understand how good he was at his route running, getting open and making the contested catch with people hanging off of him. But that's par for the course around here. People LOVED Petrino until he left and even then a few didn't believe he did it until he was on EPSN doing the Pig chant.

I guess people will understand how good Tony was for the offense next season when they see it without him.