Manziel Is Dazzling 'em At His Pro Day Workout

Bring It

Looking at from a business POV. I don't see how Houston doesn't get him. JM is far better than anything they have. Kid is a local and went to school in TX. Only way to get from under the shadow of Dallas. Imagine all the local and national media, jersey sales, casual viewership, and national games. Let's be honest here the NFL is only about $$$ and every one those things will go up.

Well, you'd have to weigh that stuff against the marginal value between Manziel and the QB that you have rated higher.

If you've got Manziel on your board as a guy who likely won't succeed, would the increase in media/tickets/etc be enough to outweigh the increase in media/tickets/etc you'd see from drafting a better QB who would more likely help you be a better team. That's the question.

If you think Manziel/Bortles/BW are all equal talents, you might be best served financially to take Manziel. But if you've got one guy head and shoulders above any of the others and you think he could help you be a consistent winner, I think you've gotta take the better player and assume the financial gains will follow the success.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro Days are more obstructive than enlightening. Especially for guys where the mental portion of the game is the source of the most serious questions.

I don't think there are questions about the mental portion of his game. I think the questions are about his distractions outside of the game.

I don't think there are questions about the mental portion of his game. I think the questions are about his distractions outside of the game.

I don't think this is true. In fact, I think a lot of the "distraction" rhetoric exists only in the media and among fans. His work ethic and film study has been consistently lauded so I don't think people are concerned with his approach or any possible "Hollywooding" that could occur.

I think the concerns with Manziel come down to his decision making within a structured offense and his durability. His tools are fine, his mechanics are inconsistent but good enough to be refined but the decision making on the field is questionable and it plays into the durability concerns. The biggest concerns I've had with his play has been his tendency of throwing into packs of defenders and his quick trigger in breaking from the pocket and trying to extend plays that don't necessarily need extending. He's got the Vick "breakdown" instinct but he doesnt always run and he's much better about moving, resetting and looking to throw again. But I don't know that such a tendency projects well to the NFL. You just don't have that sort of space or time in the NFL.

And so many of those situations turn into Manziel just throwing the ball into triple coverage. That might work where your team has a significant athletic advantage over the team you're playing, but I dont know that it works well on a more even playing field. Its a lot like how Cutler approaches things except Manziel doesnt have anywhere near Cutler's arm and he seems to make those decisions a lot more frequently.

But the skills are certainly there....its just a matter of reprogramming the mental stuff, IMO.

And so many of those situations turn into Manziel just throwing the ball into triple coverage. That might work where your team has a significant athletic advantage over the team you're playing, but I dont know that it works well on a more even playing field. Its a lot like how Cutler approaches things except Manziel doesnt have anywhere near Cutler's arm and he seems to make those decisions a lot more frequently.

The guy led the SEC in completion percentage despite throwing more deep balls than everyone. I don't think he can be doing it all that frequently with his 70% completion percentage.

Pro Days are more obstructive than enlightening. Especially for guys where the mental portion of the game is the source of the most serious questions.

Down here in Miami, Crowder on the radio just said it best. "Pro-days are like take home tests. You know what they're going to ask already." There is very little pressure because they've been doing a walk through of what's expected for weeks.

Down here in Miami, Crowder on the radio just said it best. "Pro-days are like take home tests. You know what they're going to ask already." There is very little pressure because they've been doing a walk through of what's expected for weeks.

They only become very important if you have a bad performance.

means nothing still cause he wasn't facing any kind of rush. Johnny is all about the show. He did that to be orginial. And I love it. But Pro Days doesn't hold weight with me.

It does mean something though. Anybody who has been in a football uniform knows that throwing the ball accurately in pads and a helmet is not as easy as throwing in a T-Shirt.

means nothing still cause he wasn't facing any kind of rush. Johnny is all about the show. He did that to be orginial. And I love it. But Pro Days doesn't hold weight with me.

IF his Pro Day helps getting him drafted in the Top 5, I'll honor his Pro Day like a religious holiday.

It does mean something though. Anybody who has been in a football uniform knows that throwing the ball accurately in pads and a helmet is not as easy as throwing in a T-Shirt.

and it means nothing cause he wasn't facing any kind of pressure. Manziel has been throwing football in pads for about 7 years now. And you want to give him credit cause he did it on his pro day? Lol ok