The Ncaa Is A Dead Man Walking.

SacFalcFan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the pay to play possibility.

Could bigger schools paying more ever become a possibility? Or if we do move to paid athletes, will it be a flat rate for all institutions?

Say a kid lives in GA and grew up a gsu fan and wants to play ball there, but UGA can pay him more because they make more money. Then what happens?

If schools have to start paying players, then they should do away with scholarships and make these kids pay their own way.

Exactly. The whole thing's a mess. If we're going to pay them, thereby taking away their amateur status, then why would I watch college football instead of NFL as the talent level is inferior?

680 just had the head of this movement on. Some interesting points. This scares me a ton.

1. They're only working on private institutions at the moment. So what if this can only pass through a private school? Will teams like Miami be recruiting gods because they can offer full medical coverage?

2. I can't see this ever passing at public schools. The guy said he wants workers comp type benefits. That is super expensive. You can't really tell a public school to take money out of their budget to pay for athletic benefits. No matter what, that's somehow coming out of the tax payers/students pocket.

You're basically telling public schools you have to increase your budget by 2 million(made up number) or your program will be tossed aside. The man mentioned using competition to bring the public schools on board. I really see this as rich private schools taking the upper hand and small programs being completed destroyed.

Just in our state, how can KSU, gsu, and gsu afford to cover all these medical benefits they're fighting for?

680 just had the head of this movement on. Some interesting points. This scares me a ton.

1. They're only working on private institutions at the moment. So what if this can only pass through a private school? Will teams like Miami be recruiting gods because they can offer full medical coverage?

2. I can't see this ever passing at public schools. The guy said he wants workers comp type benefits. That is super expensive. You can't really tell a public school to take money out of their budget to pay for athletic benefits. No matter what, that's somehow coming out of the tax payers/students pocket.

You're basically telling public schools you have to increase your budget by 2 million(made up number) or your program will be tossed aside. The man mentioned using competition to bring the public schools on board. I really see this as rich private schools taking the upper hand and small programs being completed destroyed.

Just in our state, how can KSU, gsu, and gsu afford to cover all these medical benefits they're fighting for?

All it takes is one public school to pass it then the rest will have to do it to stay competitive

you can strike number 2 off your list of why it won't happen.. if private bcs schools are forced to pay players then the public universities will follow suit or all those private schools will have to give up sports and they won't do that. there is no way if private schools in the ncaa are forced to pay for play that the public schools don't do the same thing.

you can strike number 2 off your list of why it won't happen.. if private bcs schools are forced to pay players then the public universities will follow suit or all those private schools will have to give up sports and they won't do that. there is no way if private schools in the ncaa are forced to pay for play that the public schools don't do the same thing.

Well then tuition rates will rise to cover the added cost. Its guaranteed. No school is going to lose Money over this. No way. They're all going to find someway to cover the expense. Unfortunately for this country, it'll probably be tuition or tickets.

This may be good for athletes but it isn't good for anyone else.

I want athletes to have the medical coverage they need. But in the end no public school is going to "make less" to make it happen. Which is going to suck.

Well then tuition rates will rise to cover the added cost. Its guaranteed. No school is going to lose Money over this. No way. They're all going to find someway to cover the expense. Unfortunately for this country, it'll probably be tuition or tickets.

This may be good for athletes but it isn't good for anyone else.

I want athletes to have the medical coverage they need. But in the end no public school is going to "make less" to make it happen. Which is going to suck.

we may be on the opposite sides of this. i want this to happen.. i want the school's to start paying these players. they are not student athletes, they are athletes who also go to school. they are brought in because of their ability to play a sport. they are employees imo. universities and the ncaa are making billions.. coaches are being paid millions. the players are told hey we gave you a scholarship *wink wink* to get an education, but some coaches will drop you if you aren't a good enough player however you are a student first not an athlete (laughable). i hear the argument "well if it wasn't for their athletic ability most of these guys would never get a shot at college".. yep that's true, but guess what without these players guess who isn't making billions? pay the dang players. it's ridiculous that at some schools they pay for 1 meal a day while other schools pay for 3 meals.. make it uniform..

we may be on the opposite sides of this. i want this to happen.. i want the school's to start paying these players. they are not student athletes, they are athletes who also go to school. they are brought in because of their ability to play a sport. they are employees imo. universities and the ncaa are making billions.. coaches are being paid millions. the players are told hey we gave you a scholarship *wink wink* to get an education, but some coaches will drop you if you aren't a good enough player however you are a student first not an athlete (laughable). i hear the argument "well if it wasn't for their athletic ability most of these guys would never get a shot at college".. yep that's true, but guess what without these players guess who isn't making billions? pay the dang players. it's ridiculous that at some schools they pay for 1 meal a day while other schools pay for 3 meals.. make it uniform..

I never said I didn't want this. I'd love this to come out of the universities pocket. But it won't. No way. Luckily I'll be out of college by the time this comes through. Tuition will rise. Campus dues will rise. Tickets will rise.

The average Joe is going to be paying for these athletes benefits.

You think the student loan bubble is bad now? Imagine when the average cost of a degree is 5000+ more because of this.

We probably are on different sides, because I don't think you are a college student at the moment haha. I've been nickle and dimed for 4 years. Its already getting worse and worse by the year. I don't want something ELSE that will speed up the process.

Oh and I also don't really support "paying" the players. Like I said I want them to have better benefits. Like full medical coverage no matter what. If you sign a scholly you have one for 4 years. Every expense is paid for like 3 meals(like you said), housing, etc.

Its college. Everyone is broke. But I don't want these guys living a bad lifestyle because they're athletes and can't get a job. Give them what they need to survive while on campus. If you want 500 a month then sure, give it to them. But again you're turning an education facility into a for profit athletic complex. You're saying to every other scholarship person that these guys run and jump fast and we value them more so they get 500 bucks.

Synopsis.

If they're hurt. Fix them up. Get them a degree. Send em on.

If they sign a scholly, they have one the whole time. Which I thought they already did? I'm sure I'm mistaken though.

3 meals a day, best housing on campus.

This is just the realism that colleges can charge as much as they want, and any added expense is transferred to a student or fan. If the colleges would eat the expense themselves than **** sure! Give these kids 20g's a year. They earn it with what they bring to the university. But I know that's not how it works, and I don't want everyone else in college getting screwed because athletes want money

I heard someone on a morning show this morning saying their scholarship should include post-graduate studies, which would make a scholarship all the more valuable both in terms of tuition as well as earning potential. If the university doesn't offer the degree that the player wants, they are compensated and can get it elsewhere.

I heard someone on a morning show this morning saying their scholarship should include post-graduate studies, which would make a scholarship all the more valuable both in terms of tuition as well as earning potential. If the university doesn't offer the degree that the player wants, they are compensated and can get it elsewhere.

I like that idea as well.

The funny thing is, public school kids are far less compensated than private school kids. But private school kids can unionize first.

Over a 4 year scholly a kid at NWU is going to get paid 250,000ish per finneran on 680

Whereas at an instate public school, your tuition, room and board, etc, will run you around 60 grand for 4 years.

$250,000?!? I'm sorry that's outrageous.

Doug gotlieb said tuition is 60 a year and you gotta add room and board and the likes. I haven't fact checked that, but I know that's definitely in the ball park.

I'm telling you. Tuition is a joke. I never wanted to stay in state for college but when I started getting accepted and checking the out of state tuition at Scar, auburn, UMass, and the likes I just couldn't do it. 35g's+ a year. Absurd.

I never said I didn't want this. I'd love this to come out of the universities pocket. But it won't. No way. Luckily I'll be out of college by the time this comes through. Tuition will rise. Campus dues will rise. Tickets will rise.

The average Joe is going to be paying for these athletes benefits.

You think the student loan bubble is bad now? Imagine when the average cost of a degree is 5000+ more because of this.

We probably are on different sides, because I don't think you are a college student at the moment haha. I've been nickle and dimed for 4 years. Its already getting worse and worse by the year. I don't want something ELSE that will speed up the process.

it remains to be seen how they would fund this.. frankly they make enough money from the tv contracts where this shouldn't be a huge expense for the students.. i think you are jumping the gun on how much we are talking about and how it's going to be funded. many of us have had to pay for school by working fulltime and getting loans and having to scratch for every penny while trying to get a degree so i know what you mean.

it remains to be seen how they would fund this.. frankly they make enough money from the tv contracts where this shouldn't be a huge expense for the students.. i think you are jumping the gun on how much we are talking about and how it's going to be funded. many of us have had to pay for school by working fulltime and getting loans and having to scratch for every penny while trying to get a degree so i know what you mean.

I would love it. I just don't see it lol. These schools are going to take less on their bottom line. I just can't see it happening. I'd love for it to. But I can't see it. Its just how government works.

I would love it. I just don't see it lol. These schools are going to take less on their bottom line. I just can't see it happening. I'd love for it to. But I can't see it. Its just how government works.

i see it and they could do it.. when they were discussing paying players a short time ago it was pretty reasonable and they had the funding for it, but the smaller non bcs schools balked at it. what is going to happen is the bcs schools will break off and form their own division and will pay the players a stipend. i think this happens sooner rather than later.