Must See Video Hoge On Clowney

red2play

Wow, that was a brutal critique of Clowney. It rings true though.

Saying Mack is the best defensive player to come out of college in the past fifteen years though? Hmm, how about letting the guy prove it first before putting him above the likes of Willis, Revis, Bailey, Ware, Watt, etc.

Yea, but these ESPN guys are big on the hyperbole at times. Trent Dilfer is really good at what he does but he said Luck was the best QB he'd ever seen 2 years ago (or something along those lines).

I've made clear my feelings on Clowney, if he's at #6 I understand us taking him but I think Hoge kind of nailed it with the term "heartbreak". I think the kid is going to disappoint a lot of people.

I was on the Clowney hype train before watching film of him, hoping to goodness he would fall to 6.

Then I watched film... He's still a top 5 pick based on potential alone, but dude is not much different than Barr. Barr gets washed out more than Clowney, but both are just big, athletic ends with long arms and a high ceiling.

I'm not "in Love" with Clowney but bashing him is just stupid. Has he cruised some in College, yes without a doubt. Has he dominated top competition almost at will, yes. He's everything they say he is and some of the things they say he isn't. The only thing he needs is a smart motivator and he's going to change games his whole career.

Mack, to say best in 15 years is stupid as well. Mack looks the part and rises in the draft however a guy like Trent Murphy almost leads the nation in sacks two years straight and because he didn't look as muscular as they thought or because they played him out of position at the senior bowl his stock plummets. Mack may have a solid career but, come on this hype is ridiculous. I'd rather have Barr than Mack at this point.

I'm not "in Love" with Clowney but bashing him is just stupid. Has he cruised some in College, yes without a doubt. Has he dominated top competition almost at will, yes. He's everything they say he is and some of the things they say he isn't. The only thing he needs is a smart motivator and he's going to change games his whole career.

Mack, to say best in 15 years is stupid as well. Mack looks the part and rises in the draft however a guy like Trent Murphy almost leads the nation in sacks two years straight and because he didn't look as muscular as they thought or because they played him out of position at the senior bowl his stock plummets. Mack may have a solid career but, come on this hype is ridiculous. I'd rather have Barr than Mack at this point.

Mack is a really good pass rusher but I agree that Hodge went overboard by saying he is the best defensive prospect in the past 15 years.

Well I was with Hoge until he said Mack was the best defensive player coming out of college in the last 15 years, That may be so, but slammee101 got it right when he used the term "hyperbole" to describe ESPN ANALysts. All objectivity was lost with that statement.

Personally, I hope we don't even have a shot at Clowney myself. I think there are enough caution flags about this guy coming out of various NFL ANALysts to make picking him that high very risky.

But I think TD loves flashy picks. Hopefully, someone else can take the risk of drafting him, so TD can't roll the dice. I cringed when I read that Atlanta was open to moving up in the draft. That would be an incredibly stupid move IMHO. I understood emptying the bank to get Jones, even though his recent injury shows how crazy a move like that can be in a sport where the player's career is at risk on every play. But with major holes on our team at tackle and pass rusher, we can fulfill one of those needs very well at #6, or even by moving back some IMHO.

Every year, the media hypes the top 5 or 10 picks. Since we are a nation infatuated with the media, we just fall in line with their predictions as though they were fact. The fact is the media is about as clueless as to how these guys will pan out in the NFL as the NFL executives making the picks. The NFL is one of the biggest crapshoots in the world, but they hide the true nature of "the luck of the draw" behind a smokescreen of tests and evaluations.

Aundray Bruce is my poster boy of the joke that the NFL draft process represents. Don't get me wrong. They have a system in place that turns over every leaf in "trying" to predict how these guys will play in the NFL, but in the end it is still a crapshoot.

Mack is a really good pass rusher but I agree that Hodge went overboard by saying he is the best defensive prospect in the past 15 years.

He is... He's the most versatile defensive player I've ever seen. He's also athletic enough to play sideline to sideline. The last great defensive prospect I seen was P.Willie. Before that? Ware, Troy P., Mario Williams. I think he's on their level of talent.

Oh, and Jevon Kearse was the best I ever seen. Clowney is a very similar prospect to him.

Edited by Macintez

I feel a lot of people on this board have never watched clowney ive.

And ESPECIALLY if they have watched him live AGAINST their team, they would know where the heartbreak lies.

Clowney beat UGA single handedly twice. Sack fumbled Murray to win the game as a freshman. COMPLETELY annihilated our Oline as a Sophmore.

The only Heartbreak I know from Clowney is him ruining seasons for UGA. By Himself.

**** Hoge sounded like he wouldn't draft Clowney with a second or third round pick which honestly is absurd. Chit who knows, but I don't trust anybody that adamant about something that is still just a opinion, 1 Year ago Clowney was the consensus #1 and nobody had even heard of Mack. LOL and I want the Falcons to take Mack, but think that just a way over top negative opinion.

Well I was with Hoge until he said Mack was the best defensive player coming out of college in the last 15 years, That may be so, but slammee101 got it right when he used the term "hyperbole" to describe ESPN ANALysts. All objectivity was lost with that statement.

Personally, I hope we don't even have a shot at Clowney myself. I think there are enough caution flags about this guy coming out of various NFL ANALysts to make picking him that high very risky.

But I think TD loves flashy picks. Hopefully, someone else can take the risk of drafting him, so TD can't roll the dice. I cringed when I read that Atlanta was open to moving up in the draft. That would be an incredibly stupid move IMHO. I understood emptying the bank to get Jones, even though his recent injury shows how crazy a move like that can be in a sport where the player's career is at risk on every play. But with major holes on our team at tackle and pass rusher, we can fulfill one of those needs very well at #6, or even by moving back some IMHO.

Every year, the media hypes the top 5 or 10 picks. Since we are a nation infatuated with the media, we just fall in line with their predictions as though they were fact. The fact is the media is about as clueless as to how these guys will pan out in the NFL as the NFL executives making the picks. The NFL is one of the biggest crapshoots in the world, but they hide the true nature of "the luck of the draw" behind a smokescreen of tests and evaluations.

Aundray Bruce is my poster boy of the joke that the NFL draft process represents. Don't get me wrong. They have a system in place that turns over every leaf in "trying" to predict how these guys will play in the NFL, but in the end it is still a crapshoot.

Can you explain in a bit more detail FLASHY PICKS ??? What does that even mean.

As for moving up in the draft who says we're going to move in the 1st round I have'nt heard anything coming out from our FO stating this.I just think its all media hype the assumption that its reported that the Falcons are interested in moving up automatically fans believe it has to be at 6.

Also its one mans opinion Hoge obviously has his I can bet there are plenty who will disagree.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I guess Hoge didn't watch him in any of the UGA games.

I did and Gates not blocking him isn't exactly scream top 10 prospect. I like huge upsides but having played football, nobody, I mean nobody just let's their teammates down by not giving their all. Most football players would run through a wall for their teammates. Can someone explain how Steve Spurrier would say his work ethic was "OK"? He has bust written all over him. When your own coach says that, why would you waste a first round pick on that guy?

He is... He's the most versatile defensive player I've ever seen. He's also athletic enough to play sideline to sideline. The last great defensive prospect I seen was P.Willie. Before that? Ware, Troy P., Mario Williams. I think he's on their level of talent.

Oh, and Jevon Kearse was the best I ever seen. Clowney is a very similar prospect to him.

Kearse came out in like 1996. I just wanted to ask you guy. Is Hoge's opinion on Mack really that far off? I see all of these names, Ware, Willis, Mario Williams, Troy P, etc. We they really so dynamic that people rated them as the top defensive player coming out of college? These guys were rated first round or high draft picks, but no one knew that they would be this good. It's not like Reggie White, Deion Sanders, etc. You knew that those guys would be who they are. That's how he feels about Mack. By the way, he's not dissing Clowney. Think about Usain Bolt being the fastest man in the world. He could probably run a 40 in under 4 seconds. One problem. He don't have football skills.

Kearse came out in like 1996. I just wanted to ask you guy. Is Hoge's opinion on Mack really that far off? I see all of these names, Ware, Willis, Mario Williams, Troy P, etc. We they really so dynamic that people rated them as the top defensive player coming out of college? These guys were rated first round or high draft picks, but no one knew that they would be this good. It's not like Reggie White, Deion Sanders, etc. You knew that those guys would be who they are. That's how he feels about Mack. By the way, he's not dissing Clowney. Think about Usain Bolt being the fastest man in the world. He could probably run a 40 in under 4 seconds. One problem. He don't have football skills.

All of them were heavily praised coming out of college.

Ware's situation coming out of Troy was very similar to what Mack is facing now. He was a very good pass rusher but people questioned the level of competition that he faced because he did not play at a big time school. Bill Parcells was the Cowboys head coach at the time and did his homework through watching an extensive amount of game film and worked Ware out privately.

Ware became the 11th overall pick by the Cowboys in 2005 and went on to build a more than likely HOF career.