The King Has Mocked [10] - First In A While

Guest King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw

It's been a long time since I've posted one of these but now that we don't have to guess at free agency I figure it's time to give this thing another shot. Hopefully I'm not rusty and I can give y'all something worth reading. Well, I won't waste any of your time with silly introductions. Let's get to it!

First 8 Picks:

1. HOU - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

2. STL - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

3. JAX - Khalil Mack, DE, Buffalo

4. CLE - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

5. OAK - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

6. BUF - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

7. TB - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

8. MIN - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

**Trade** - Falcons move down to pick 9 and receive pick 73.

Round 1, Pick 9 - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Height: 6’5” Weight: 310 lbs.

• Any time a team can trade down and still land their top target it makes for a great decision. With Clowney and Mack both being selected in the Top 3, Matthews will likely be the top name on the Atlanta draft board. Though they would likely have no problems using the 6th overall selection on Matthews, when the Bills come a calling TD doesn’t hesitate to move down a few spots while adding a third round pick in the process. The Bills and Buccaneers both filled a lot of needs in Free Agency and it can be argued that their top remaining need is Wide Receiver. With both E.J. Manual and Josh McCown getting votes of confidence as the starters for their respective teams, adding targets for them will be a top priority. The troubles of Mike Williams in Tampa, including the very recent stabbing incident, will make Mike Evans a very appealing target for the Bucs which is why the Bills choose to jump them to land a true number 1 on a team filled with secondary options. For the Falcons, they land a pro-ready Tackle who is extremely technically sound, equally good in run blocking and pass protection, with three years experience at Right Tackle and one on the blindside. Matthews will crack the starting lineup on Day 1 and will remain there for the next ten years after taking over for Sam Baker once we can finally part with him.

Round 2, Pick 37 - Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois

Height: 5’10” Weight: 191 lbs.

• Jimmie Ward has earned himself quite a few fans lately, and deservingly so. Ward represents everything that we’re needing out of our Free Safety. He’s got the speed and fluidity to cover slot corners, with excellent range and a knack for always being around the ball. On top of his impressive coverage skills and what sets him apart from the man he is replacing, he also is a very solid and willing tackler that will help in run defense. Knocks on Ward are size and strength related as there are concerns that bigger receivers and tight ends can muscle him around. We won’t need Ward to be the eighth man in the box as long as William Moore is a Falcon, though, so I think Ward steps in as exactly what this secondary needs to turn things around in 2014.

**Trade** - Falcons give up picks 68 and 103 to move up to 56.

Round 2, Pick 56 - Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

Height: 6’3” Weight: 244 lbs.

• The “news” this week from Adam Schefter is that Thomas Dimitroff is willing to move up, and while many people have complained about it being too costly to move up for Clowney others have pointed out that no one said we’d have to move up in the first to get the pass rusher we so desperately need. Kyle Van Noy is a relentless blitzer that lives so much in the backfield they likely will start charging him rent. Sacks, tackles for losses, disrupted plays - all the things we haven’t been able to consistently generate will now be taken care of with this one pick. Van Noy joins (and arguably completes) the trio of impressive linebackers Spoon, Wor, and Bartu which in the new scheme will surely see a massive boost in productivity.

Round 3, Pick 73 - C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

Height: 6’5” Weight: 265 lbs.

• A year ago the Falcons used the 133rd pick on the freak Levine Toilolo. While many still have hope that Toilolo will develop into one of the scariest red zone weapons in the league and constant mismatch for any safety or corner that’s unlucky enough to be assigned to cover him, Fiedorowicz provides a much-needed compliment that is better served between the twenties. A plus run-blocker, this Hawkeye also has a lot better athleticism than was expected which was put on display at the combine. The Iowa product will contribute in both the running and passing games which will free up Toilolo to develop into the true receiving threat we drafted him to be. While the defense is trying to catch up, our offense just keeps getting scarier.

Round 4, Pick 139* - Yawin Smallwood, ILB, UConn

Height: 6’2” Weight: 246 lbs.

• Smallwood has been described as ‘The Anti-Dent’ because while Dent seemed to do his best work at stopping the run, Smallwood has shown the abilities to disengage blocks, maneuver in traffic, and provide an interior passrush while also possessing some coverage ability. As the offenses in the NFL continue to move towards a mismatch-based passing attack, athletic linebackers who can cover and disrupt are worth their weight in gold. Smallwood has excellent length but their are concerns that he’s maxed out his frame already. Despite that, he would provide us with some great depth at the interior linebacker positions and could even make the potential loss of Sean Weatherspoon next year a bit easier to bare.

Round 5, Pick 147 - Antone Exum, CB/FS, Virginia Tech

Height: 6’0” Weight: 213 lbs.

• This might be considered early for Exum but much like Aaron Colvin he was slated as a top 40 pick before his injury. Exum has excellent size coupled with an incredible skillset which will lend himself a lot of admirers in the NFL scouting community. A slot corner with the size to cover tight ends and a free safety with the speed to cover the entire field are two hot commodities in the NFL these days - and Antone Exum is both of those things in a single package. While Free Safety was addressed at the top of the second round, the Falcons have no one on roster capable of playing that position so Exum will provide insurance at both that position as well as the CB position where the loss of Asante Samuel won’t be felt nearly as bad.

Round 6, Pick 182 - J.C. Copeland, FB, LSU

Height: 5’11” Weight: 271 lbs.

• I’ve been a big fan of Ewing since he first showed up on the scene in Wisconsin, but you can only give a man so many chances to disappoint you before you have to look in another direction. Obviously the Falcons felt the same way when they released him earlier this offseason. Now Ewing is a Jaguar and we find ourselves in need of a Fullback. There are a lot of posters that aren’t a fan of using a draft pick on such a position but Copeland is a beast that is known for blasting through whatever hole you need a RB to go through and he will provide a substantial boost to our pitiful run game.

Round 7, Pick 220 - Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State

Height: 5’11” Weight: 215 lbs.

• If talent was the only thing considered by NFL teams when drafting players, Crowell would be the top RB taken. Far and away the most talented back in this class, Crowell was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school that scored 15 TDs as a freshman at UGA. While a failed drug test and a couple of weapons charges would normally scare away the Falcons quicker than it did university officials in Athens, the fact that those charges were dropped and Crowell’s squeaky clean record in the last couple of years lends some credibility to the thought that he could be wearing Red and Black once again as a rookie in the NFL.

Round 7, Pick 253* - Kenny Bell, WR, Alabama

Height: 6’0” Weight: 180 lbs.

• Another year, another talented Alabama Crimson Tide football team. With so many talented running backs coming out of Tuscaloosa (There seems to be one every year with Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, and now Yeldon.) it’s hard for anything than a dominant number 1 receiver to be properly featured. As long as Amari Cooper is on campus, guys like Kenny Bell and Kevin Norwood fight just to be noticed. Because of this it’s almost not surprising that a player with the size and speed of Bell can slip to the end of the draft just based on his lack of proper showcasing. His loss is the Falcons gain as he can come in and push the front office to include a sixth receiver on the roster after the obvious inclusions of Jones, White, Douglas, Johnson, and Hester.

Round 7, Pick 255* - Jay Bromley, DT/DE, Syracuse

Height: 6’3” Weight: 306 lbs.

• Bromley’s pro day is tomorrow and if he performs well he will likely help his draft stock to the point that he won’t be available here so I’m going to publish this while I still can. Bromley lined up all over the Syracuse defensive line and proved to be very disruptive no matter where they lined him up, as evident by his team-leading 9 sacks over the course of the regular season which also placed him in the top 10 nationally as well as the top spot for a defensive tackle. A true penetrator, Bromley would provide us with another option along the defensive line that can line up and take on multiple blockers, freeing our linebackers to make plays.

Well.. that's all I've got for this time. I hope it's not too bad, but I did come up with this in class earlier so it may be pretty off on certain things. Feel free to grill away if needed and I'll hopefully have the time to do another soon.

Edited by King Jigsaw

I don't think we pass on Robinson if he is in fact available. I also don't really see the first 5 going that way but.

Other than that you picks are pretty good im not to familiar with your late round guys will have to look into them. Imo van noy is a guy we should stay away from his motor is a concern for me.

I don't see us trading back if Robinson and/or Matthews is available. Oakland is praising Schaub so I don't think they go QB with the 5th pick. In this scenario I see them taking Robinson. This decision pretty much forces us to take Matthews at #6. Solid overall though to still land Matthews and acquire the extra pick.

If the Falcons moved from 6 to 9, they would receive more compensation than a #73 pick. According to the draft values chart (http://www.draftcoun...Value-Chart.php), the compensation for a #6 pick (1600 pts) vs. a #9 pick (1350 pts.) is a #68 pick (250 pts.). So, if TD traded a 6 for a 9 and a 73, we should all slam him for getting less value than expected for moving back.

Edit: OK, now I see that you changed it to a 68...maybe 73 was a typo.

Edited by Tmodel66

Guest King Jigsaw

If the Falcons moved from 6 to 9, they would receive more compensation than a #73 pick. According to the draft values chart (http://www.draftcoun...Value-Chart.php), the compensation for a #6 pick (1600 pts) vs. a #9 pick (1350 pts.) is a #68 pick (250 pts.). So, if TD traded a 6 for a 9 and a 73, we should all slam him for getting less value than expected for moving back.

Edit: OK, now I see that you changed it to a 68...maybe 73 was a typo.

I don't think there was any typo on that. The problem with your little scenario about how we should demand the 68th pick in the draft is that the owner of the 68th pick is.. the Atlanta Falcons. If we trade down from 6 to 9 and get the Bill's 3rd rounder the points is 1600 to 1575. Are you really sweating that? I'm not. Doing the trade makes us pick at 9, 37, 68, and 73. We then trade pick 68 (our original third) and pick 103 (our original fourth) to move back up into the second round to take Van Noy. So we pick once in the first (9), twice in the second (37, 56) and then once in the third (73).

Guest King Jigsaw

So Buffalo jumps no one that wants a WR to select a WR at 6 that they could have easily gotten at 9?

F

You didn't read it, did you? Tampa Bay has addressed the majority of their needs in Free Agency, but have not done anything to help their receiving corp. You're thinking that McCown is going to go from throwing to Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall to throwing to Vincent Jackson and who? Mike Williams could be upgraded and would be better in the slot than the outside. He's also been getting into a lot of trouble off the field, including being stabbed in the thigh by his brother within the last week or two. Pay attention. The Bucs need WR help and would love a Vincent Jackson clone like Mike Evans, which is why the Bills go over them because they've also stated that they plan to build around E.J. Manual and that means getting him a top target to throw to in the passing game.

Guest King Jigsaw

I love the mock. Only critic i have is the 5'10 FS I wouldnt draft him unless he is a straight ball hawking tackler. Ill pull up some stats and Youtube vids (lol) to prove me wrong. As long has he is consistent I wouldnt mind it at all to forget stature.

There's nothing wrong with a Free Safety being 5'10". Jairus Byrd, the top Free Agent this year, is a 5'10" FS.

Ward is a ballhawking tackler, so you should fall in love with him.

Guest King Jigsaw

Dont give up robinson to the bucs. Doug martin would go in dry on us for the next half decade atleast. Draft norwood before bell.

I don't care if the Bucs get Robinson if we get Matthews. Matthews is better in my opinion and would make a fantastic Falcon for many years. Let the Bucs take whoever they want. I'm more worried about drafting the players I want for my team than keeping away players from other teams. Also, Norwood won't be available when I took Bell. He'll get drafted a couple rounds higher.

Guest King Jigsaw

I'd love for it to go down like this bug there's no way Robinson and Matthews all that far. Last year 3 OTs went in the top 5 and this year's top 3 OTs are arguably better.

Last year there were no QBs worthy of a top ten pick. The teams that took tackles last year did so because they all knew the QB class this year would be a lot better. QBs will get chosen over tackles if they're worth a **** and this year they are.

Guest King Jigsaw

Guys, the Bucs are picking in the top 10, just like us. We're not keeping them from getting a good player. They'll come away with a Clowney/Mack/Matthews/Robinson/Watkins/Evans/Ebron too. Draft for us, not against them.

Guest King Jigsaw

As a guy thats seen his team abused by grob and matthews I really think robinson was a little more abusive. Get norwood in the 5th and stay away from bell. Jmo though.

Yes Robinson was a lot more aggressive in the run game, but that's kind of the point. I really only think he's capable of playing RT. Granted, he will be a top RT for a very long time, but Matthews is more of what the Falcons look for and need. He can play RT until Baker leaves or gets hurt and then can play LT. Typically you don't spent a top ten pick on a RT unless you think he'll take over at LT one day.

So I must ask this question to all of the Robinson lovers.. if we took one of the top 2 OT's with our first round pick and Baker gets hurt again, who would you rather have protecting Matt Ryan's backside? The answer to that question is who we should draft. Period.