Picking A Safety In The First Would Have The Best Outcome

xskyx

Everyone wants a RT or an OLB. I want those too.

With that being said, I still feel a FS in the mid or late first would have the biggest impact on the team. There are 2 options of picking one. Either trade back to the middle of the first, or trade up from the 2nd. Either way would work fine.

Our secondary is almost complete. Trufant and Alford will shut down the outsides. Moore is a great SS. Mcclain is a decent nickel.

The missing piece is FS. With that position filled, the passing game would be a lot tighter. This would generate more sacks than adding a DE or OLB in the first. Coverage sacks would be abundant.

Pryor would be my choice here.

I feel a decent RT could be had in the 2nd. Same with OLB if we trade back and pickup another 2nd.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed if we are going safety I want 1 of those top 2 guys not a guy in the 3rd or 4th round.

The caveat is that with all the rumour's of teams wanting to trade back it maybe a bit of an effort to do.

I'm hoping 1 of those 2 are there at the end of the 1st so we can trade back in and grab one of them.

Safetys drafted in the last few years have made some defenses stout. I agree, it also gives us the best outcome because we can grab a pick or two in the 2nd and late rounds to grab our passrushing OLB (attachou, Murphy).

IMO There is a big dropoff in talent from Dix/Pryor and safeties in later rounds.

Ehhh. If Im TD I am taking the surest thing with every pick I have. This team doesn't need super stars. They need players that can consistently do their job.

If Clowney and Mack are gone best case scenario is something like

Matthews

Ward/Tuitt/Attachou

Brooks/ Smith/ Daquan Jones

Everyone wants a RT or an OLB. I want those too.

With that being said, I still feel a FS in the mid or late first would have the biggest impact on the team. There are 2 options of picking one. Either trade back to the middle of the first, or trade up from the 2nd. Either way would work fine.

Our secondary is almost complete. Trufant and Alford will shut down the outsides. Moore is a great SS. Mcclain is a decent nickel.

The missing piece is FS. With that position filled, the passing game would be a lot tighter. This would generate more sacks than adding a DE or OLB in the first. Coverage sacks would be abundant.

Pryor would be my choice here.

I feel a decent RT could be had in the 2nd. Same with OLB if we trade back and pickup another 2nd.

Definitely on the safety wagon. I mean come on let's look at our so called biggest weaknesses:

Pass Rusher - we have Osi, Beer and Mass under contract. All three can get to a QB with some inside push and a little better coverage

RT - definitely a weakness but Johnson, Holmes, Carimi and Shraeder are better than nothing and one of em might be decent

FS - folks if we kick off tomorrow our starting safety would be an injured Motta or an Ish. Any questions?

I think we need to snap Clemons up right now. He's the last halfway decent vet. If not, get Pryor or Dix. Not many teams win a Bowl with shoddy safety play.

Am I the only one who views Greg Robinson as more of a RG than OT?

I think he has the tools to be an All-Pro level RG early in his career.

No, I agree with you. It is where the Larry Allen comparisons come in at. Scouts/GMs/fans are thinking he can be a top flight tackle. Preferably a LT. If he can't play that, then he should be able to play RT at a high level. If he sucks at Tackle, which happens Gallery, L. Davis come to mind, then he should be an all pro RG IMO.

I think a pro bowl RG is Robinson's floor which makes him a safe pick, but you don't draft guards that high generally. (B. Fralic #2). Larry Allen was solid as a Tackle, but was moved inside due to personnel and it was his best position. He will be walking into the Hall soon and is one of the best Guards ever.

Definitely on the safety wagon. I mean come on let's look at our so called biggest weaknesses:

Pass Rusher - we have Osi, Beer and Mass under contract. All three can get to a QB with some inside push and a little better coverage

RT - definitely a weakness but Johnson, Holmes, Carimi and Shraeder are better than nothing and one of em might be decent

FS - folks if we kick off tomorrow our starting safety would be an injured Motta or an Ish. Any questions?

I think we need to snap Clemons up right now. He's the last halfway decent vet. If not, get Pryor or Dix. Not many teams win a Bowl with shoddy safety play.

Yep there are at least two good rts in the 2nd, and a few prospects in the later rounds.

As for lb, you have van noy, shazier, Attaochou, etc. Plenty of options

Picking a safety in the first would be the best outcome...for those wanting Dimitroff fired. Our secound round pick is a prime position to draft a safety. We drafted our last starting free safety with a compensatory third. Jimmie Ward would do just fine as a starting free safety for us. Mike Smith has gone on record as saying he views our safeties as interchangeable. Moore and Ward are pretty similar and could give us flexibility on the back end. People will say they won't work as deep safeties, but this is the first time we've had two starting man corners in quite some time. Safety help isn't needed quite as much if the corners can lock down their man.

Picking a safety in the first would be the best outcome...for those wanting Dimitroff fired. Our secound round pick is a prime position to draft a safety. We drafted our last starting free safety with a compensatory third. Jimmie Ward would do just fine as a starting free safety for us. Mike Smith has gone on record as saying he views our safeties as interchangeable. Moore and Ward are pretty similar and could give us flexibility on the back end. People will say they won't work as deep safeties, but this is the first time we've had two starting man corners in quite some time. Safety help isn't needed quite as much if the corners can lock down their man.

Please sir just go back and watch our last 16 games. Please report the safety play to us. We're waiting. It was worse than pass rushing and RT play. Trust me.

Yeah so.... Julio could play TE if we wanted him to. What's the point

All I am saying is that Robinson is a OT who I think could probably play OG if needed to and do so at potentially an All-Pro level. I was trying to see did anyone else think that Robinson could have that type of versatility.

Why do you seem so upset over that?

Please sir just go back and watch our last 16 games. Please report the safety play to us. We're waiting. It was worse than pass rushing and RT play. Trust me.

At 4-12 there were a lot of things that were terrible. Matt Ryan included. We absolutely need a starting free safety, but it isn't anymore important than a pass rush or right tackle. I still believe the absolute worst problem was RG and we already addressed that. Second biggest problem was giving up long runs. We also already addressed that. Third biggest problem was pass rush and we haven't addressed that. I see free safety as secondary to the pass rush right now.

All I am saying is that Robinson is a OT who I think could probably play OG if needed to and do so at potentially an All-Pro level. I was trying to see did anyone else think that Robinson could have that type of versatility.

Why do you seem so upset over that?

^

That dude thinks he's knowledgeable when all he does is agree with the consensus and make d*** responses to ideas. Just ignore him. He's that child that wishes he was cool enough to be accepted by the popular kids in high school.

Yep there are at least two good rts in the 2nd, and a few prospects in the later rounds.

As for lb, you have van noy, shazier, Attaochou, etc. Plenty of options

Is this not what everyone is currently complaining about on both sides of the ball. We have passed on good players to get 2nd rate prospects and then not developed them. No way do I think we go DL before we go OL after we paid Ryan like we did and TG being gone. I think securing the OL will be job one in the draft. We have a good young secondary as the foundation for our defense and that is what it will be built around. Ryan is the foundation of the franchise and that is what the team will be built around.

Out of the glaring position needs- RT, FS, and pass rusher (OLB/DE)- only one merits a top 6 pick. That would be the OLB/DE.

However, if the two premier DE/OLBs are gone, the only play that makes sense is to trade out of the pick.

Trading up makes no sense in any scenario. Trading up is for teams that are one player away- i.e. teams whose fans aren't discussing which one of the glaring position needs should be addressed first...with the 6th pick in the draft. That's more for team talking about trading up from 28-30 to get their guy. Not 6 to 2.

The team just spend a bundle on a 3/4 front (Peters, Babs resigned, Soliai, Jackson added). That investment requires legit pass rushers to pay off. The front 7 is not fixed. They will still be vulnerable to the pass. You don't want to stick a high priced rookie FS into the same bad spot DeCoud was in last season.

It's that simple.