AREA 51

The Dark Side Of Climbing Mount Everest

317 posts in this topic

I'm sort of afraid to ask . . . but what does this actually MEAN???

Thanks?

I googled "the plot thickens gif" and that came up

maybe next time "that just happened"?

HolyMoses likes this

For the record, I did climb Stone Mountain. This is the truth. I grew up in Lithonia, and we basically spent our summers at Stone Mountain, so I climbed it several times as a teen. I have also climbed it once with my daughter. I have witnesses and photos, so I dare someone to refute it.biggrin.png

Edited by AREA 51
HolyMoses likes this

Don't do it. No need pile on publicly. (Send it to me through PM or Facebook!!!!)

I agree, and I like that you know when to stop. You made your point and let it go. That is a trait I always appreciate.

I do not know the whole story, but Deisel did climb Rainer. That is fact, and if this Chuck Crawford is real and true, Deisel embellished some to make himself look better. I will not defend it. That is something I try to avoid doing, but we all know no matter who goes where or does what, the stories they tell always have some extra spice to them to make them more entertaining or impressive.

The Legendary SB and HolyMoses like this

Hmm, we may not see him for a while. I'll have to fill in for him. But before I do, is it 2 drudge report threads per day or 3?

If it's in season... Up to 6

I agree, and I like that you know when to stop. You made your point and let it go. That is a trait I always appreciate.

I do not know the whole story, but Deisel did climb Rainer. That is fact, and if this Chuck Crawford is real and true, Deisel embellished some to make himself look better. I will not defend it. That is something I try to avoid doing, but we all know no matter who goes where or does what, the stories they tell always have some extra spice to them to make them more entertaining or impressive.

When I embellish... I make myself look worse in the story. Unless I am trying to make a point. I don't want to pile on, but I want him to admit he is wrong and man up about it.

I got a cash reward at work... I always downplay the contribution I make. Anyone can do what I do. I just happened to align myself with upper management to make it easier.

Edited by lostone

When I embellish... I make myself look worse in the story. Unless I am trying to make a point. I don't want to pile on, but I want him to admit he is wrong and man up about it.

I got a cash reward at work... I always downplay the contribution I make. Anyone can do what I do. I just happened to align myself with upper management to make it easier.

Ok, ok, I admit it. I do not really have nine inches.biggrin.png

On that, the best comeback I ever heard for such an embellishment was when I was a teeager. One of my friends made the cliched remark about having a big d1ck, and my other friend said "Well, spit it out. It ain't yours."

some extra spice, which Deisel pm'ed me and told me that he did in fact guide the climb. Screw it. His words...

"I am not a legal guide. I've takin my deceased brother up 3 mnts, and when summited rainier was assisting another guide, who had

too many clients and I was experienced enough to take control of 2 clients and guide them up. All true stuff. I would suggest asking me 1st abt stuff like this."

I specifically asked him why he lied about guiding the climb when he hadn't successfully summited Rainier at the time he was leading others. And that was his response. So not only did he embellish (lie), but he defended it. And to me, that's even worse.

As I told Deisel in the pm, he seems like a nice guy and I respect the way he reaches out to people on a personal level, but the lying, the cheating others...and consciously defending and it covering it up when he's been caught is absolutely unforgivable.

He deserves to be piled on. And **** him for ruining a pretty good thread.

That is some BS right there... Man up and take your loss... Deisel asks more of politicians than he does of himself... It's pathetic.

That is some BS right there... Man up and take your loss... Deisel asks more of politicians than he does of himself... It's pathetic.

so do most people

so do most people

I know this and it is normally okay. But when you spam constantly and are proven wrong and do not admit to it.... It just gets tired.

Listen, I am not defending anyone's actions. I just like to keep things in perspective with this being a message board filled mostly with anonymously posted comments. Really, are the ones trying to make themselves look better than Deisel by slamming him any better than Deisel's exaggerations to do the same. The truth, so to speak, has been publicly announced, so since he is a message board poster and not a senator, what more is there to do?

I see two options here. One, a person can totally ignore Deisel and go about their business, or two, they can obsess about Deisel and spend all their time hounding him to man up to his lies. Number two option does not seem very productive but it is certain to cause many threads to derail.

Please people, do not be a hounder. They are the least among us. They wreck threads, start fights, add nothing pertinent, and simply seek attention in a very destructive manner. There are a couple of hounders around here, and they are really the only ones I hold in contempt.

Edited by AREA 51

To get this thing back on topic, here is a photo of the line to get up the Hillary step, the last part to climb to reach the summit on Mount Everest. It is also one of the hardest, and all these people, one by one, have to climb up the rope to the summit and come back down the same way. This, along with the line being filled with those hardly considered elite climbers, causes hours of waiting and delays extending climb and desent times into the 24 hour period and all above 26000 feet.

Here in lies the problem. Oxygen tanks vary, but last for about four to six hours, and most climbers carry two with a possible third sitting in a place for later use. This varies by climber, but on average, one has about eighteen hours of oxygen, but if the climb and descent extend past this time, the situation can quickly become dire. Already exhausted and frigid from hours of climbing, running out of oxygen can bring the quick end to one's day-- and life.

As you can see, it can be quite a clusterfukk up there. These types of scenes are why many elite climbers now avoid Mount Everest. It is dangerous, even to them.

Mt.-Everest.jpg

hilary-step_09102012_fe.jpg

Edited by AREA 51

Listen, I am not defending anyone's actions. I just like to keep things in perspective with this being a message board filled mostly with anonymously posted comments. Really, are the ones trying to make themselves look better than Deisel by slamming him any better than Deisel's exaggerations to do the same. The truth, so to speak, has been publicly announced, so since he is a message board poster and not a senator, what more is there to do?

I see two options here. One, a person can totally ignore Deisel and go about their business, or two, they can obsess about Deisel and spend all their time hounding him to man up to his lies. Number two option does not seem very productive but it is certain to cause many threads to derail.

Please people, do not be a hounder. They are the least among us. They wreck threads, start fights, add nothing pertinent, and simply seek attention in a very destructive manner. There are a couple of hounders around here, and they are really the only ones I hold in contempt.

Area, I'm biting my tongue. But I sure wish you would rethink what you're saying here, which sounds like call BS is as bad as BS'ing.

Edit. No, sorry. That is not what you are saying. Never mind.

. Anyone can do what I do. I just happened to align myself with upper management to make it easier.

No, everyone can't lose their self respect and become a brown nosing worm.

No, everyone can't lose their self respect and become a brown nosing worm.

That's not brown nosing ... If the managers manager wants something and you align your project with it to help the idea along, that is called being smart. I am currently on a lower visibility project (though it has over 10B in assets), and our team has to do more or no one sees us. I am also trying to grow developers and help them along in their careers. Plus this initiative aligns with 4 levels of management above me... So yeah...

HolyMoses likes this

What ever you need to do to get some self respect back........

I respect myself just fine...

Love what I do and make a lot of money doing it. Have a loving wife... Will be student loan free in 2 years and house paid off before I am 38...

Life is hard bro...