AREA 51

The Dark Side Of Climbing Mount Everest

317 posts in this topic

I wish I could believe this thread was popular for the quality of the presentation and its informative nature, but I know that the Deisel fiasco is the real reason, and knowing that is just so disheartening.biggrin.png

However, with the movie coming out, it is relevant again.

Edited by AREA 51
HolyMoses likes this

I rarely go to theaters. The price to see movies is just more than I am willing to pay, but I am going to make an exception next weekend and go see Everest.

The reviews have been favorable, if not overwhelming, but I am going for the story. On that, I read a review from an expert on the '96 disaster, Nick Heil, and he said that even though Hollywood has added its usual improvisations, the movie does tell pretty accurately the story of what happened on Everest that May in 1996. He summed it up this way.

"It’s fairly accurate. Obviously, they had to compress some things, move some things around even take some narrative or creative liberties with the storytelling for dramatic purposes. This is not a documentary. This is a Hollywood feature film. Some things are fictionalized. Some things are stretched a little bit and they needed to do this in order for the story remain coherent and for people to follow the characters along, and really to sort of maintain the integrity of the narrative but as far as what actually went down on Everest in 1996 these events are true."

With that, my expectations are high. I just hope I am not disappointed.

I read "Into Thin Air" over the summer and I'm really looking forward to the movie. I would never dream of climbing Everest, but I find the subject fascinating. From the early attempts in the 1920s to the people who do it now.

I wish I could believe this thread was popular for the quality of the presentation and its informative nature, but I know that the Deisel fiasco is the real reason, and knowing that is just so disheartening.:D

However, with the movie coming out, it is relevant again.

I don't know many people who don't believe or already know that climbing Everest is super dangerous and a lot of people have died.

I rarely go to theaters. The price to see movies is just more than I am willing to pay, but I am going to make an exception next weekend and go see Everest.

The reviews have been favorable, if not overwhelming, but I am going for the story. On that, I read a review from an expert on the '96 disaster, Nick Heil, and he said that even though Hollywood has added its usual improvisations, the movie does tell pretty accurately the story of what happened on Everest that May in 1996. He summed it up this way.

"It’s fairly accurate. Obviously, they had to compress some things, move some things around even take some narrative or creative liberties with the storytelling for dramatic purposes. This is not a documentary. This is a Hollywood feature film. Some things are fictionalized. Some things are stretched a little bit and they needed to do this in order for the story remain coherent and for people to follow the characters along, and really to sort of maintain the integrity of the narrative but as far as what actually went down on Everest in 1996 these events are true."

With that, my expectations are high. I just hope I am not disappointed.

Always good to support a supporter.

140707_MichaelKelly_InsetTop.jpg

You're a real a**hole. I mean, I like you and everything. But I'm just saying, you're a real a**hole for bumping this thread.

agreed.

kind of pathetic reading everyone piling on Diesel - maybe he slightly exaggerated something on his trip up Mt. Ranier - maybe he did exaggerate or maybe he did not - I dunno. Even if he did, so what? He did actually climb Mt. Ranier and summit - which is more than most of us will ever do.

I don't understand the psychological state most of you in this forum must be in that feel the need to attack someone repeatedly - make one snarky comment (if you must) and then move on - but instead we have pages and pages and pages of cyber-bullying on Diesel and many of you were coming back for 2nds and 3rds, etc - it is really pathetic.

The Legendary SB likes this

Oh boy... It was an accomplishment to climb the mountain... And being truthful about it would have been cool. Exaggerating and making it sound like you were some sort of hero and you weren't is why you get piled on. The constant posting of R good D bad articles and lying/backbiting caused all of this to happen.

HolyMoses likes this

Oh boy... It was an accomplishment to climb the mountain... And being truthful about it would have been cool. Exaggerating and making it sound like you were some sort of hero and you weren't is why you get piled on. The constant posting of R good D bad articles and lying/backbiting caused all of this to happen.

what does someone's political persuasion have to do with this particular thread?

I've never posted under a different account here and then lied about it. We should be held accountable for our actions. If you don't like that I want deisel to just man up and admit that, report me.

HolyMoses likes this

This is on me. I probably should be sorry, but I'm not so much.

I saw Snake's post. I thought is was more B.S., particularly the "guiding" part. I'm friends with one of his climbing buddies so I cut and pasted the complete post to him.

Why did I do that? I don't know. Is it a reflection of my lack of character that I wanted to find out for myself if it was more B.S.? Maybe.

So our mutual friend was pretty indignant, and checked his recollection with the other guys there, who were seemingly even MORE indignant.

Maybe people just don't like B.S.

FWIW, I could have humiliated Diesel myself by cut and pasting the pretty vicious replies from his climbing cohorts, but elected not to. It wasn't my intent to denigrate Diesel. But it wasn't my intent to get B.S.'ed either.

you sound like a great guy - sure Diesel is honored to count you as his friend. Didn't he spend hundreds of dollars fixing your bike when he did not have to?

you sound like a great guy - sure Diesel is honored to count you as his friend. Didn't he spend hundreds of dollars fixing your bike when he did not have to?

which sure makes up for Diesel disrespecting his wife rolleyes.gif

Ya it's gotten pretty ugly. It should all be taken off the board and settled at Diesel's "dojo" with video going to youtube of course...

giphy.gif

unlike some, I tend to ignore him. I just thought it was funny that apparently g-dawg thinks that if you do one good favor for a person it gives them carte blanche to crap all over them

unlike some, I tend to ignore him. I just thought it was funny that apparently g-dawg thinks that if you do one good favor for a person it gives them carte blanche to crap all over them

i am unaware of any "wife comments" - guess I have not been following the soap opera as much as you.

i am unaware of any "wife comments" - guess I have not been following the soap opera as much as you.

you should probably make sure you know the situation before taking sides or pointing fingers next time.

or not...it's just the internet

mdrake34 and HolyMoses like this