Killing Three Birds With One Stone.

I am probably a bit schizophrenic when it comes to trying to narrow down the falcons best draft avenue.

With so much value in the draft and our needs being in the two most important areas of a football team, setting up a precise plan of action can be a bit difficult to say the least.

When the falcons work the clock on draft day there is a good chance we will have our pick of liter when it comes to the oline and finding a pass rusher.

Today I'm focusing on the advantages of drafting an OT at 6, and to keep it simple how we have a chance a killing 3 birds with one stone.

1. First the obvious.This assignment is based on a bit of hope but still has some validity. Whichever tackle we would take first role will be as the starting RT. If somehow Sam Baker manages to stay healthy for a full season we would have two adequate Tackles to keep Matt Ryan clean allowing our offense our offense to take flight

2. In the event of Sam Baker going down again we would be able to substitute one of the drafts most talented tackles in his place. This will allow developing guys like Holmes Shreader and Johnson to stay on the right side where the will usually face a teams second best rusher.

3. The last benefit which is the most unfortunate one to consider is that whoever we select will give us the potential to move on from the Baker project all together. Franchise LT's are hard to find just ask TD. But when you have one finding upgrades in other positions along the line are much easier and far less expensive.

One thing winning teams need to sustain success is consistency. And the only thing baker has done consistently is get injured. I know we gave him a bad contract but at some point you have to put success before your failures. So while im pulling for the guy to get on track business is just that, business.

Due to that we need to find someone who can:

1) Play RT at at least an acceptable level his rookie and probably sophomore season

2) Have good enough athleticism to play LT as well.

3) Have plenty of upside left.

Due to Lewan's legal issues that really just leaves Robinson in the 1st round that fits that criteria. Other players down the line that may also fit the criteria are Brandon Thomas and JaWuan James.

1) Play RT at at least an acceptable level his rookie and probably sophomore season

Due to Lewan's legal issues that really just leaves Robinson in the 1st round that fits that criteria. Other players down the line that may also fit the criteria are Brandon Thomas and JaWuan James.

Lol @ not thinking Matthews would satisfy those 3 needs.

Lol @ not thinking Matthews would satisfy those 3 needs.

Technicians get eaten alive at RT. People need to stop with the belief that pure LTs can play RT, especially after the massive failures of Joeckel and Fisher at the position last season. Each position requires different skill sets and Matthews lacks the RT skill sets. It's really that simple.

Technicians get eaten alive at RT. People need to stop with the belief that pure LTs can play RT, especially after the massive failures of Joeckel and Fisher at the position last season. Each position requires different skill sets and Matthews lacks the RT skill sets. It's really that simple.

I am not arguing that Robinson wont be dominant at RT in comparison (he will be), but you are so far off on your assessment of Matthews. Matthews is quite a bit better than both Joeckel and Fisher and while both struggled in the first half of the season, Joeckel got injured while Fisher played better.

Edited by Molson

While I am not arguing that Robinson would be dominant at RT, you are so far off on your assessment of Matthews. Matthews is quite a bit better than both Joeckel and Fisher and while both struggled in the first half of the season, Joeckel got injured while Fisher played better.

Fisher played better when he was put in at LT when Albert was hurt. He was total garbage at RT. You are also just saying that because you want Matthews, not due to anything objective.

This the deepest T group to ever enter the draft according to pretty much every scout/ personnel man. Why is it that we have to take one in the 1st? There are plenty of other options available in the mid rounds. There aren't as many impact pass rushers...

Despite having a season's worth of film that says the contrary.

To say Joeckel was a massive failure overlooks the fact that he played under 5 games before being lost for the season. You don't have to project your preference for Robinson as the gospel and slight Matthews to improve your argument. Robinson hasn't shown he's even capable of pass blocking on the left side. He can have the athleticism and the upside, but he hasn't even shown the capability consistently.

Fisher played better when he was put in at LT when Albert was hurt. He was total garbage at RT. You are also just saying that because you want Matthews, not due to anything objective.

Could also have something to do with him never lining up on the right side in his whole career IN ADDITION to not being suited for the position. Matthews would fair incredibly better for he would be more comfortable. He would not dominate, but he would satisfy your #1 rule.

Could also have something to do with him never lining up on the right side in his whole career IN ADDITION to not being suited for the position. Matthews would fair incredibly better for he would be more comfortable. He would not dominate, but he would satisfy your #1 rule.

Which OT spot you play in college has more to do with seniority and preference than anything due to the talent disparity at the collegiate level. That is not the case in the NFL. If you lack a wide base and brute power then you're most likely going to fail miserably at RT and Matthews lacks both. He's a pure technician, something that is best suited for LT.

Which OT spot you play in college has more to do with seniority and preference than anything due to the talent disparity at the collegiate level. That is not the case in the NFL. If you lack a wide base and brute power then you're most likely going to fail miserably at RT and Matthews lacks both. He's a pure technician, something that is best suited for LT.

Again, why was Matthews projected to be better than Joeckel as a junior when he played RT?

You're trying to structure the position to only fit Robinson. It's ok to like one guy more than the other. But you're trying to discount Matthews while propping up Robinson.

Just watch Matthew's junior season.

Again, why was Matthews projected to be better than Joeckel as a junior when he played RT?

You're trying to structure the position to only fit Robinson. It's ok to like one guy more than the other. But you're trying to discount Matthews while propping up Robinson.

Just watch Matthew's junior season.

Two things:

1) The same reasoning that Matt Barkley was going to be a #1 overall pick.

2) Matthews' skillsets are of a LT and LTs are very valuable. Scouts recognize this and rated him highly. That he played RT because Joeckel has seniority over him didn't matter.

Two things:

1) The same reasoning that Matt Barkley was going to be a #1 overall pick.

2) Matthews' skillsets are of a LT and LTs are very valuable. Scouts recognize this and rated him highly. That he played RT because Joeckel has seniority over him didn't matter.

1. So what if I said the same reasoning used for Andrew Luck? See how you're picking and choosing? Not factual.

2. So because he played RT for a year and dominated at the position doesn't matter? Lol again, just overlooking a season's worth of film that shows Matthews can play RT and play the position well. I agree he is the best available LT in this draft, but don't discount his ability to play RT because you don't think he fits. 10 games of film say otherwise. Using Joeckel and Fisher as examples are just like saying "I'm not taking a QB because Mark Sanchez was a bust".

Your whole stance is opinionated. That's fine, but don't try and make it gospel. HeIl, just going off your first post, your first requirement was a player who could play RT at an acceptable level as a rookie. Is Matthews not capable of that?

1. So what if I said the same reasoning used for Andrew Luck? See how you're picking and choosing? Not factual.

2. So because he played RT for a year and dominated at the position doesn't matter? Lol again, just overlooking a season's worth of film that shows Matthews can play RT and play the position well. I agree he is the best available LT in this draft, but don't discount his ability to play RT because you don't think he fits. 10 games of film say otherwise. Using Joeckel and Fisher as examples are just like saying "I'm not taking a QB because Mark Sanchez was a bust".

Your whole stance is opinionated. That's fine, but don't try and make it gospel. HeIl, just going off your first post, your first requirement was a player who could play RT at an acceptable level as a rookie. Is Matthews not capable of that?

No, it doesn't matter. As I have already said the talent disparity at the collegiate level makes it possible for the OT positions to be skill set blind. Put pure technician OTs at RT in the NFL and you get the misery of Fisher and Joeckel. LT and RT require different skillsets and if you lack the skill sets for one side then you're going to fail on that side. Matthews lacks the brute power and wide base to make it at RT in the NFL. He could prove me wrong but I very seriously doubt he will.

The immediate need is RT

of course LT is a need but we're stuck with Baker for a year or two.

Fill RT now

then fill LT in 15 or 16 as needed

Robinson and Matthews are not the last two ever graduating from college and entering the draft

The only way we don't get Baker's replacement this year is if the LT's predicted to come out in those classes aren't as good as this class now.

I'm always of the addage that whoever we draft now we should always have one eye on the horizon.

To me this is pretty simple really while we need a pass rusher now I'd like to see the o-line soldified long term now and if that is drafting Jake Matthews so be it.

You say the same thing over and over and ignore the DEFINITE hindrance of moving a LT to RT based on comfortability alone. It is a known fact that OTs have a hard time sliding to opposite sides and kicking off an opposite foot. Matthews HAS that comfortability and has, in fact, played more RT than LT.

Also, you are completely undervaluing collegiate level defences. There isn't some property about NFL defences that is different that makes them require a larger RT other than sheer size, which Matthews can change too. I'm having a hard time believing you know anything you talk about when it comes to the OL. You are quite intelligent beside that.

Another you can chalk under obvious, is that you're improving the passing game without adding a receiver, and improving the rushing attack without adding a running back.

I don't think Dummytroff understands this.

Need explosive offense? Trade 5 picks for Julio.

Need better run game? Sign Steven Jackson.