Where Will The Pass Rush Come From? From Everywhere. Remember What Nolan Said When He Was Hired?

falconidae

That he'd rather have 10 players with 4 sack than 4 players with 10 sacks.

Look at his roster now:

Bierman, Osi, Jackson, Mass, Peters, Jerry, Spoon, Bartu have all had years with 4 sacks [3.5 is close enough] That's 8.

Then there's Worlilow, Moore, Alford,Trufant, Goodman & Maponga-- should be able to get 2 more out of that group to get to 10.

Gotta figure that the first or second pick is a pass rusher. Also think that Osi will be on a reduced snap count, if he can get to 7-8 sacks with 2/3s of last years snaps, be a really good year.

If Osi gets to 8, someone else steps up to double digits- say Mass or the new guy, and 8 other players do get to 4 sacks, then the Falcons do have a pass rush.

The Additions of Paul Soliaia and Tyson Jackson will add 15+ sacks this season without any personnel changes on the edges ...

Watching Brees and every other QB step up into a clean pocket time after time won't happen anymore .

Not to mention we Soliaia will get Double teamed which will free up the edges as well.

Guest facelessman07

Once Nolan has full control over defense and defensive personnel then this so called "lack of pass rush" will be a not so fond and distant memory

Having Goodman, Soliai and Jackson tying up blocks for a considerable number of snaps this year, our LBs should be in position to make plays all game. Spoon and Worrilow are really good blitzers. I think we break 40 sacks. It's not a matter of talent but players that fit the scheme. Look at the Saints 2 years ago to last year. Not much change in personnel.

We are all hyped up on the defense, but lets say the best case happens and we have a stud defense now. What happens when Nolan gets offered a HC job? This isn't like seattle, where the HC and DC both have the same coaching scheme. Smitty is a cover 2 Bend but don't break kind of guy while Nolan is a hybrid defense type guy. Does smitty copy Nolan or do we go back?

This is honestly weighing on my mind.

I like the philosophy, but having a dominant player should open up opportunities for others to bring more pressure. You want good depth, but it is vital to have a strong player to work against the best O-lineman. Having an average guy against the best O-lineman will leave that side vulnerable..

Having Goodman, Soliai and Jackson tying up blocks for a considerable number of snaps this year, our LBs should be in position to make plays all game. Spoon and Worrilow are really good blitzers. I think we break 40 sacks. It's not a matter of talent but players that fit the scheme. Look at the Saints 2 years ago to last year. Not much change in personnel.

Not sure how Goodman got on that list so fast. I hope you're right bro. You told me Konz was a day one starter. Looks like you think we're going 3-4 too. If Soli tweaks an ankle we will be right back to a BBDB Smittyball 4-3. Trust me.

We are all hyped up on the defense, but lets say the best case happens and we have a stud defense now. What happens when Nolan gets offered a HC job? This isn't like seattle, where the HC and DC both have the same coaching scheme. Smitty is a cover 2 Bend but don't break kind of guy while Nolan is a hybrid defense type guy. Does smitty copy Nolan or do we go back?

Both Bryan Cox(d-line coach) and Joe Danna(secondary coach) has experience coaching under Nolan's defensive scheme during his time in Miami.

One of them could end up being promoted to DC if/when Nolan moves on to a head coaching job without having to change the scheme.

Not sure how Goodman got on that list so fast. I hope you're right bro. You told me Konz was a day one starter. Looks like you think we're going 3-4 too. If Soli tweaks an ankle we will be right back to a BBDB Smittyball 4-3. Trust me.

I'll take your heat for Konz big guy. Don't forget you thought Jenkins was a gamer. Sure didn't do anything post-Atlanta.

But I'm going off Goodman's play in the NFL. He was a good run stopper and set the edge consistently. Given his frame, 6'4 290, and very long arms, I wouldn't put it passed him being a solid 3-4 DE. He 5-tech'd a number of times last year.

Also, we're going to take a NT in the mid rounds. They've been looking at them.

I'll take your heat for Konz big guy. Don't forget you thought Jenkins was a gamer. Sure didn't do anything post-Atlanta.

But I'm going off Goodman's play in the NFL. He was a good run stopper and set the edge consistently. Given his frame, 6'4 290, and very long arms, I wouldn't put it passed him being a solid 3-4 DE. He 5-tech'd a number of times last year.

Also, we're going to take a NT in the mid rounds. They've been looking at them.

You and Dimi missed on Konz. Hopefully Tice can entice him.

I'm pulling for the Good Man and all of Dimi's whiff picks. King Konz, Beer Man and Jelly. I'm trying to get rest bro.

By the way, where is the Jenk Man? Is he still out there? If so I'm pretty sure he could outplay HD for less than $3.7M.

I'm really loving the direction this defense is going. Players are going to step up and play for each other and the energy will be there. I like the depth of this defense, that's the first time I ever remember saying that. The entire pass rush department will benefit from our new look defense and I say that Akeem Dent becomes a great rotational player as a 3-4 ILB which is what he played at UGA.

The one guy I think who improves more than expected is Goodman as a 3-4 run stopping defensive end. TJax, Solai, Goodman, and Worrilow is going to be tough to run against.

Get us Khalil Mack and a promising FS and I'll run 7 laps around my house naked in excitement.

Guest facelessman07

Let's just hope if that happens that Nolan gets...ahem...promoted

I actually think you have a great point. Hopefully Dimitroff has an idea of what he would do if that happened, but at this point it'd be a problem I'd love to have to worry about. Need to win first.