Brian De La Puente Vs Joe Hawley

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a new line coach does anyone know our system?

I'm sure they'll change up some of the blocking concepts, but I don't think it'll be a complete system change.

Someone posted this in a Mike Tice thread the other day. It is from '09 prior to his first yr as the Bears OL coach. It is still applicable though...

http://www.midwayill...nning-game.html

"Well we're going to be able to run the football, I can promise you that, and we're going to have a number of different areas we're going to be good at and we're going to excel in. We're very athletic and we're going to try and get our guys out in space. I think we'll be really good in the draw game. I know we're going to be able to run the inside zone, in my tenure everywhere I've been we've always been able to run the inside zone. So we'll be able to run the inside zone, we'll dabble a little bit with power, but probably not as much as they ran it here last year. It wouldn't necessarily be on my priority list; on our priority list, but we'll certainly have it. I think what happens is, and Mike and Mickey and I talked about this at length. You put your plays in, and believe me we have plenty of plays, we put the plays in and we think we know what the guys are going to be good at. But until you get the back in pads and the guys in pads (the offensive linemen) and find out what the back is good at and the linemen are good at, what combination blocks they excel at, that's going to define who you are in the running game."

Isn't it so important then to have that center that can help you on the combination block and get up to the second level, it almost starts there, if there's a weakness there, then you might have issues the rest of the way down the line. How important is it for either Olin (Kreutz) to get back, or for (Josh) Beekman to establish himself?

Tice's answer is different than what might have been expected:

"See I disagree with you I think the key to all good running teams are cutting off the play on the back side. I think you have to establish that you're going to cut off that back side, that pursuit on the back side (typically the weak-side linebacker). In this league it's all about speed on defense, and you gotta be able to not have those guys go over the top and make the play on the backside. I think you have to be able to CUT the defense somewhere, and each play is designed....the way we've designed our running game...each play is designed to cut the defense in TWO AREAS. That's the power of the play that the running back understands that where we're trying to cut the defense and that's where we're trying to hit the football, at least to start out with and then we go from there. And I will say this if you can't handle the nose tackle in the run game at any level, college, high school, little league, NFL you gotta be able to handle the nose tackle, and that's not always the center that could be the guard also."

I found this very interesting due to our FA acquisitions on both sides of the ball. Of course we were going to upgrade RG, but I think this is telling about which one we targeted. Not just the Pioli connection, he is more athletic than Schwartz who is more of a mauler, power guy. We knew Nolan wanted Soliai and with good reason; I'm sure Tice was and would have been beating that drum even without Nolan. This also makes me hopeful that we will target a guy like Sankey in the 4th (I like him more than Sims) who is a very good cut back runner (he has a sick jump cut).

And as others pointed out, the center rarely gets left on an island. I think Hawley will serve us well. I do not expect a Pro Bowl, but he will be far from a liability.

Edited by RedTUS12

He could very well be a career back up but you are flat out making stuff up. You would have more credibility if your complaints were grounded in facts but its not.

give me one thing I said that has been proven to be made up . I say Hawley is not good , you say he is . Who's right ? Just because we signed him doesnt make him good . And the journey man thing , I was referring to his ability not how many teams he's been on.

give me one thing I said that has been proven to be made up . I say Hawley is not good , you say he is . Who's right ? Just because we signed him doesnt make him good . And the journey man thing , I was referring to his ability not how many teams he's been on.

They say that he solid. You say that he is not. They post video evidence showing him holding up on the line. You post gifs of him flopping for a penalty. They post comparisons of body types, from him to other centers. You just say that he's small and weak. They post links of different analysts that are quoted as saying that other teams were interested in him. You claim that it was all fabricated by his agent. This is just off the top of my head btw.

They say that he solid. You say that he is not. They post video evidence showing him holding up on the line. You post gifs of him flopping for a penalty. They post comparisons of body types, from him to other centers. You just say that he's small and weak. They post links of different analysts that are quoted as saying that other teams were interested in him. You claim that it was all fabricated by his agent. This is just off the top of my head btw.

omg . Please tell me your not that freaking stupid. I've seen a 3 stupid videos of him ' holding up ' . You homers send a FEW videos of him actually blocking someone and that's all you got ? And I don't give a rats @ss if he's the same height or weight of other centers. He plays weak and small. He was the center ( half the season , I got that ) for the WORST oline in football last season. You know what , nevermind . You might actually be that freakin stupid .

omg . Please tell me your not that freaking stupid. I've seen a 3 stupid videos of him ' holding up ' . You homers send a FEW videos of him actually blocking someone and that's all you got ? And I don't give a rats @ss if he's the same height or weight of other centers. He plays weak and small. He was the center ( half the season , I got that ) for the WORST oline in football last season. You know what , nevermind . You might actually be that freakin stupid .

Or you might just be that wrong. Glad you highlighted it was the worst o-line but how many times was Hawley at LT/RT last year? How many times did he line up at RG last year? Does that mean Justin Blalock is god awful too? I mean after all, he played on the worst line in football, right?

Here's the crux of your dilemma: You've been cornered and asked to provide any morsel of evidence backing your position and all you can do is lash out like a spoiled child. Step up and point to something that actually backs up your claim. You don't like the clips that have been posted but that is in direct challenge to show what we have claimed. Well, that's what those clips do. What are you expecting, full game cut ups focused nothing on Hawley and for him to be 100% perfect on every play? That's what it sounds like.

Facts are this, regardless of what anyone says, your mind is made up, facts be damned...

Or you might just be that wrong. Glad you highlighted it was the worst o-line but how many times was Hawley at LT/RT last year? How many times did he line up at RG last year? Does that mean Justin Blalock is god awful too? I mean after all, he played on the worst line in football, right?

Here's the crux of your dilemma: You've been cornered and asked to provide any morsel of evidence backing your position and all you can do is lash out like a spoiled child. Step up and point to something that actually backs up your claim. You don't like the clips that have been posted but that is in direct challenge to show what we have claimed. Well, that's what those clips do. What are you expecting, full game cut ups focused nothing on Hawley and for him to be 100% perfect on every play? That's what it sounds like.

Facts are this, regardless of what anyone says, your mind is made up, facts be damned...

facts ? You show me a few clips and that's it , huh ? Case closed . Your right and I'm wrong . That's kool dude. This Hawley shiit has gotten outta hand. Time will tell . We will see if he starts . And if he does , we will see if you and your other Hawley nutt huggers are right . If he starts and does well , ill be here to take all your shiit . If he plays poorly and gets beat out by Konz ( as I expect he will ) don't run off like a little biitch.... :) .

facts ? You show me a few clips and that's it , huh ? Case closed . Your right and I'm wrong . That's kool dude. This Hawley shiit has gotten outta hand. Time will tell . We will see if he starts . And if he does , we will see if you and your other Hawley nutt huggers are right . If he starts and does well , ill be here to take all your shiit . If he plays poorly and gets beat out by Konz ( as I expect he will ) don't run off like a little biitch.... smile.png .

Liar

facts ? You show me a few clips and that's it , huh ? Case closed . Your right and I'm wrong . That's kool dude. This Hawley shiit has gotten outta hand. Time will tell . We will see if he starts . And if he does , we will see if you and your other Hawley nutt huggers are right . If he starts and does well , ill be here to take all your shiit . If he plays poorly and gets beat out by Konz ( as I expect he will ) don't run off like a little biitch.... smile.png .

A few clips is more than you've shown. All you've done is blown off at the mouth about it. Once again, back up your claims with evidence that's all we've asked and all you come back with is insults. It's very predictable. You don't agree, that's fine but to sit there and continuously type something and not back it up is just ridiculous. If you can't see that, I can't help ya...