Who Handles The Finances And The Budget In Your Home?

lostone

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I handle the day to day finances/banking/bill paying, and manage our investments, but we make all big purchase decisions together.

This is where we are. The only thing where we kind of differ is on how to attack debt. She want to build up savings more, I want to get rid of debt and put a smaller amount in savings and start investing (outside of 401k) once the student loans are paid for.

Edited by lostone

This is where we are. The only thing where we kind of differ is on how to attack debt. She want to build up savings more, I want to get rid of debt and put a smaller amount in savings and start investing (outside of 401k) once the student loans are paid for.

Just tell her the interest you lose to debt is more than the interest you gain from a savings account.

If she gets confused, bust out the puppets.

Just tell her the interest you lose to debt is more than the interest you gain from a savings account.

If she gets confused, bust out the puppets.

I showed her how much more interest we paid on the loans over time... We are no where near struggling. I just want 600 more dollars a month not being thrown to debt. She wants the savings number to go up more... I want our debt to go down more. After the student loan debt is gone I am doubling the mortgage payment. And should be done 6 years from that date.

I handle the finances and budget. But I don't micromanage her spending. We do talk about major purchases, but as far as our budget, I define it and she goes along with it. She's really good at bargain shopping, so we don't bother with the "don't spend more than X on Y" kind of finances.

Our approach is simple. A goes towards the 401K. B goes towards IRA's. C goes towards savings/investing. D goes towards vacations. E goes towards home improvement. F goes towards the mortgage. G goes towards the car loan. H goes towards utilities and insurances. I goes towards food. J goes towards kids activities. K is whatever we want. That ends up being clothes, going out, entertainment, etc... But it's a broad non-essentials category that we can have fun with, not having to manage every penny of it, while not having to worry about the essentials.

I let her buy the groceries and stuff since she is the one eating it mostly when she is with me but most of it is just student loan stuff anyways. I do have a marriage fund I keep separate from her though.

Are your parents taking care of your loans? Or will you be paying back then 250k on your own?

I make more money and she spends it.

The end

Goal line... Man you need to get her listening to Dave Ramsey. I am trying to make an excuse for us to listen to this one segment where he talks about materialism and the acquisition of stuff.

But my wife sticks to the budget and is on board with sticking to it... Just how we deal with the extra that I sense some tension.