It Just Boggles My Mind That A Plane Could Be Lost

Nono

I think I know how big the ocean is, maybe not, but in this day of advanced electronics, GPS, and other technologies that a large modern aircraft could simply disappear. It looks like the flight crew took steps to enhance this, but isn't there more than just this one little ELT transmitting some sort of signal that couldn't be turned off or ejects upon impact?

It just doesn't make sense that with all the safety precautions this plane has that it wasn't equipped with dual tracking devices for ground and water.

And one more thing, with all the satellite images that may or may not be part of the wreckage, why is so hard to locate this debris?

I don't know, but it sounds sad and silly

Edited by Nono

Remember that just a few years ago entire Japanese towns were washed out to sea in the Tsunami. There is a lot of ocean with a lot random junk floating in it.

As for the plane disappearing, many don't realize how little we are able to track aircraft over the open ocean. It's not like we have radar coverage over the middle of the ocean. And it seems that the plane's transponder was disabled. That combination is what has made the aircraft so difficult to find.

And the flight data recorder does send out a becon signal after a crash, but if they are in deep water, the range of that signal is very limited.

I'm so fed up with hearing about this stupid plane. I wish the media would go back to the more familiar talking points like Benghazi, Kim Kardashian's weight gain, and Michele Bachmann's obvious but adorable mental retardation.

Yeah and baby North---ha

I'm so fed up with hearing about this stupid plane. I wish the media would go back to the more familiar talking points like Benghazi, Kim Kardashian's weight gain, and Michele Bachmann's obvious but adorable mental retardation.

kim kardashian is back to her normal weight now. *** is just bigger

Not just the ocean, but the Pacific ocean in general. It is almost as remote as the artic ocean at vast points based on sheer size. It is the largest of our oceans by far with more than 20 million square miles more than the next biggest ocean. Imagine over 6 USA. That is how much bigger it is than the second biggest ocean. It really is an insanely huge area.

The whole issue of the missing aircraft wouldn't be nearly as bad if the Malaysian officials hadn't acted like Alfred E. Newman was in charge. Instead of meticulously gathering data so they could focus resources on the most likely areas, Malaysian officials seemed to offer the 'clue du jour', regardless of it's accuracy or if it had been corroborated by actual evidence.

I can't imagine how the families and friends of the passengers and crew are coping with this circus.

Not just the ocean, but the Pacific ocean in general. It is almost as remote as the artic ocean at vast points based on sheer size. It is the largest of our oceans by far with more than 20 million square miles more than the next biggest ocean. Imagine over 6 USA. That is how much bigger it is than the second biggest ocean. It really is an insanely huge area.

Don't forget there are parts of the Pacific Ocean that are nearly seven miles deep as well. Seven miles folks.