Ucla's Anthony Barr Has Private Workout Scheduled With The Falcons.

Despite all the clever moves made in free agency, the Atlanta Falcons are still in need of a pass-rusher. Specifically, their move to a 3-4-based defensive scheme means the desire for outside linebackers capable of getting to the quarterback.

Draft prospect Anthony Barr appears to be one of those guys, and that's why the Falcons plan to take a long look at him.

Barr has a private workout scheduled with the Falcons before the end of the month, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation. The UCLA outside linebacker had been projected as a top-10 pick immediately after the college football season, although most draft experts have now dropped him behind the other touted outside linebacker, Buffalo's Khalil Mack.

The 6-foot-5-inch, 255-pound Barr has a great combination of size and athleticism. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds at the NFL combine, but UCLA coach Jim Mora said Barr improved his time to 4.45 at UCLA's pro day. Mora also said Barr increased his bench press reps from 15 at the combine to 19.

"I think definitely in the top 10, from what I got from the (NFL personnel) today," Mora said of Barr after the pro day. "And they understand that the ceiling is so high. He's only played the position for two years. And they see the talent." ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. projected Barr to be drafted anywhere between 10-20 in the first round. The Falcons currently hold the sixth-overall pick.

In terms of the Falcons' needs, adding an offensive tackle such as Auburn's Greg Robinson, Michigan's Taylor Lewan, or Texas A&M's Jake Matthews would appear to take priority over a pass-rusher. Then again, all that could change depending on how things unfold at the top of the draft.

It would be hard to pass on Mack, considering how his stock continues to soar. He doesn't have a workout scheduled with the Falcons as of Friday.

If the Falcons see something in Barr during the private workout, maybe he'll rise up their draft board. Whatever happens, they are doing their due diligence in checking out capable impact pass-rushers.

Arizona State outside linebacker Carl Bradford (6-1, 250) said during an interview he had a workout upcoming with the Falcons, and that workout actually took place Thursday. Bradford is projected as a second-rounder, and the Falcons might have to go that route if they elect to target a tackle in the first round.

As things stand for the Falcons right now, Kroy Biermann, Jonathan Massaquoi, and Osi Umenyiora would be the top outside linebackers in the 3-4 setup. Umenyiora reportedly has been asked to take a paycut, so his status for 2014 remains unclear.

Edited by turnerdburner33

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just really gonna LMAO at yall Barr hatin boys if Dimi takes him. I still say he will end up being the best pass rusher in this draft. Especially if he goes to a 3-4 defense.

Because no bend around the corner, no pass rush moves, and trying to run around OTs instead of engaging them spells "best pass rusher." I fully expect him to bust and if we draft him that will not change.

Because no bend around the corner, no pass rush moves, and trying to run around OTs instead of engaging them spells "best pass rusher." I fully expect him to bust and if we draft him that will not change.

yeah, and Mack is a much more polished pass rusher

He is trade down insurance... That is all.

Whatever you wanna believe.

With you 100%. Call me a Barr hater, that's fine. All I see in his tapes is him running around the tackles and coming back to the QB. Obviously no one knows who will bust and who will excel, but the thought of drafting Barr scares me.

^ Insecure argument. This has absolutely nothing to do with Mack. Stay on topic.

Well the Barr haters like to look away from all the impact plays Barr makes and focus on negatives. So why cant I look away from your arguements and make **** up that proves my argument?

I'm just really gonna LMAO at yall Barr hatin boys if Dimi takes him. I still say he will end up being the best pass rusher in this draft. Especially if he goes to a 3-4 defense.

People are going to b!tch regardless who we draft. We all think we know everything and think were better than TD.

Barr just does not impress me when I see him on tape...No wow factor at all. Relies totally on speed, but in the NFL not sure that will work all the time. I hope I am wrong, because he seems like a good kid.

Well isnt that exactly what we need on defense? We just got the big bodies up front. Now throw in the speed off the edge. He is more than physically able to hold the edge. We dont need him to stuff inside. We just signed Soliai and Jackson for that

Rookies typically dont come into the NFL with a wide array of pass rush moves....but you're being fairly unfair to Barr here. He's developing a swim and a bullrush and has the physical attributes to do both. He's undersold as a run defender as well.

He's not a perfect player, but he's a rookie. He isn't the player he will be in 3 or 4 years.

He's not #1 on my board but he's an excellent 5th or 6th option. If the board broke absolutely terribly for us and we had to "settle" for a guy that is as good of a prospect (arguably better) as DeMarcus Ware was, I think thats a pretty good situation to be in.

Well the Barr haters like to look away from all the impact plays Barr makes and focus on negatives. So why cant I look away from your arguements and make **** up that proves my argument?

I have said repeatedly that he's a great athlete and a very hard hitter. That, however, does not make a good player in the NFL. He's very unrefined technique wise which will lead to him disappearing in the NFL. He's a fantastic college player but I do not see him amounting to much in the NFL.

i trust zero of you guys as a talent evaluator, nor do I trust myself.

I just hope the combination of TD and Scott with less of Smith's input really has a more overall positive impact on our roster thru the draft.

Judging from current FA moves, I am already expecting a better output this season regardless if they pick someone i like.

Rookies typically dont come into the NFL with a wide array of pass rush moves....but you're being fairly unfair to Barr here. He's developing a swim and a bullrush and has the physical attributes to do both. He's undersold as a run defender as well.

He's not a perfect player, but he's a rookie. He isn't the player he will be in 3 or 4 years.

He's not #1 on my board but he's an excellent 5th or 6th option. If the board broke absolutely terribly for us and we had to "settle" for a guy that is as good of a prospect (arguably better) as DeMarcus Ware was, I think thats a pretty good situation to be in.

I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd. He is not worth a top half of the 1st round pick. We need instant impact from that pick, not a project.

Barr's draft stock has dropped significantly since draft analysts and NFL scouts started really looking at his tape.

If he goes to a team that has really good pass rush coaching then he would be a beast.

Barr just does not impress me when I see him on tape...No wow factor at all. Relies totally on speed, but in the NFL not sure that will work all the time. I hope I am wrong, because he seems like a good kid.

I dont think this is true though.

He uses his hands fairly well and is capable of disengaging in run support. Maybe not with the consistency you'd like, but the ability is there. His backside pursuit is elite. He is able to transform speed into a power in a way that a lot of guys that play his type of football struggle with. He shows flashes of great diagnosis, is a very sure tackler and has elite closing speed.

People have complained about our defensive players having an inability to finish pressures with sacks. The sight of Wilson/Rodgers/Brees escaping our players, buying time and making plays downfield has driven us crazy for years. The chances of those things happening with Barr on the field drop dramatically.....at worst he's an elite level finisher. At best, he's Aldon Smith or DeMarcus Ware.

I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd. He is not worth a top half of the 1st round pick. We need instant impact from that pick, not a project.

I think you're completely off base if you think Barr is closer to the 40th best prospect than the 10th. Like...completely.

Barr is a bit off of Mack because he's not going to be as good of a cover guy and he's less consistent in the run game. But if Mack is a 10, Barr is at least a 9. And by using him in a predominantly 3-4 front, you're helping to mask his run deficiencies quite a bit due to the LB support that would be around him.

Again, he's not my #1 guy. I'd rather have Mack or Clowney. But after those two guys, he's clearly the next best defensive prospect in the draft. At worst, he's 4th behind Donald.

I think you're completely off base if you think Barr is closer to the 40th best prospect than the 10th. Like...completely.

Barr is a bit off of Mack because he's not going to be as good of a cover guy and he's less consistent in the run game. But if Mack is a 10, Barr is at least a 9. And by using him in a predominantly 3-4 front, you're helping to mask his run deficiencies quite a bit due to the LB support that would be around him.

Again, he's not my #1 guy. I'd rather have Mack or Clowney. But after those two guys, he's clearly the next best defensive prospect in the draft. At worst, he's 4th behind Donald.

You said he cant cover or run defend near as well as mack but he's only a point off on the 1-10 scale?

That sounds a bit biased lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Taking Barr with 6 is a complete waste when you could send Miami your second and get Dion Jordan. Both are athletic freaks but are projects. I'll take the one that's cheaper.

Shazier will be the best LB outside of Mack and I wish he was at a spot that'd make sense for us to draft him. But he's not.