Our 3-4 Lbers If Season Started Today

freebird310

I fully expect that we add another 3-4 OLBer within the first two rounds of the draft. But if the season started today what do you guys think would be our best 3-4 LBer corps ? I'm gonna go with Beerman SOLber, Mass WOLber, Worrilow SILber,, Spoon WILber. I really thought we might take a shot at Woodley, I just don't know if I would be real comfortable with this line up. I really want Robinson or Matthews, but if Mack is there we HAVE to take him. Would this be our best quartet or should we go with Dent/Spoon inside, Beerman Worrilow outside ? Or is Mass a better option at rush LBer ? Is Bartu a better fit there than Mass ? I am really confused, help me please ......wacko.png

I fully expect that we add another 3-4 OLBer within the first two rounds of the draft. But if the season started today what do you guys think would be our best 3-4 LBer corps ? I'm gonna go with Beerman SOLber, Mass WOLber, Worrilow SILber,, Spoon WILber. I really thought we might take a shot at Woodley, I just don't know if I would be real comfortable with this line up. I really want Robinson or Matthews, but if Mack is there we HAVE to take him. Would this be our best quartet or should we go with Dent/Spoon inside, Beerman Worrilow outside ? Or is Mass a better option at rush LBer ? Is Bartu a better fit there than Mass ? I am really confused, help me please ......wacko.png

I think mass and Bartu both have utility as 34 OLBs. Both showed good pass rushing skills last year. Maponga is interesting as he was a beast the year before he was drafted. Wonder how he'll be fully healed.

I think Worrilow and spoon are inside guys in 34 looks.

Biermann? Who knows. Every year we expect him to breakout to only be disappointed.

But that said you can draft an OT and still find a very good OLB/DE in second like Murphy, Van noy, marcus smith or attachou.

I think we need a rugged ILB as well

I think mass and Bartu both have utility as 34 OLBs. Both showed good pass rushing skills last year. Maponga is interesting as he was a beast the year before he was drafted. Wonder how he'll be fully healed.

I think Worrilow and spoon are inside guys in 34 looks.

Biermann? Who knows. Every year we expect him to breakout to only be disappointed.

But that said you can draft an OT and still find a very good OLB/DE in second like Murphy, Van noy, marcus smith or attachou.

I think we need a rugged ILB as well

Mass just strikes me as a guy much better with his hand on the ground in where he can use his hands/arms. Maybe I'm wrong.

The way I see it off the top if my head, we have 3 capable rush LBs = Beer, Mass, Bartu

And 3 capable ILBs = Worrilow, Dent, Spoon

And (4) 4-3 DEs = Osi, Good, Map, Matthews

So we need help for sure, I mean i agree w u it would be nice to have at least 1 TRUE 34 OLB on our roster.

Edited by TheeTKOBeatz

In the 3-4 I'm thinking the line up would be like this:

OLB - Bartu - Best LB we have in TE coverage. Also can be used as a rusher playing DE in college

ILB - Warrilow - With the big nasties up front keep him clean, I think he can make more plays in the backfield

ILB - Spoon - Hopefully will bounce back after a injury plagued 2013. I think its a make or break year for him in ATL

OLB - Mack or Barr / Beirman - Our rush/sack linebacker

Mass just strikes me as a guy much better with his hand on the ground in where he can use his hands/arms. Maybe I'm wrong.

Honestly I don't know. They ran a 34 when he was at Troy but they used him as a 5 tech. That probably hurt his draft status btw.

Mass certainly has the measurables and athleticism to succeed standing up,

The way I see it off the top if my head, we have 3 capable rush LBs = Beer, Mass, Bartu

And 3 capable ILBs = Worrilow, Dent

And (4) 4-3 DEs = Osi, Good, Map, Matthews

So we need help for sure, I mean i agree w u it would be nice to have at least 1 TRUE 34 OLB on our roster.

Good thing we got plenty of time to figure this chit out LOL.

In the 3-4 I'm thinking the line up would be like this:

OLB - Bartu - Best LB we have in TE coverage. Also can be used as a rusher playing DE in college

ILB - Warrilow - With the big nasties up front keep him clean, I think he can make more plays in the backfield

ILB - Spoon - Hopefully will bounce back after a injury plagued 2013. I think its a make or break year for him in ATL

OLB - Mack or Barr / Beirman - Our rush/sack linebacker

Makes sense ......

I think mass should get a chance to play the position. He was scouted as a top pass rushing OLB for crying out loud.

Yea, until they made him put on all that weight his senior year. I could see it though. Just that I really liked the way he was coming along as a 4-3 end. I just think he would be a better 4-3 end than a 3-4 LBer.

Yea, until they made him put on all that weight his senior year. I could see it though. Just that I really liked the way he was coming along as a 4-3 end. I just think he would be a better 4-3 end than a 3-4 LBer.

only one way to find out. I wasn't really that impressed with his rushing off the edge. Some guys are just naturally better rushing off the edge. I didn't see it with him. But then again I don't watch one single player on every play so I wouldn't know for sure how good or bad his techniques are. I just know the bulk of his sacks, if not all came late in the year. He proved to be pretty decent against the run though

only one way to find out. I wasn't really that impressed with his rushing off the edge. Some guys are just naturally better rushing off the edge. I didn't see it with him. But then again I don't watch one single player on every play so I wouldn't know for sure how good or bad his techniques are. I just know the bulk of his sacks, if not all came late in the year. He proved to be pretty decent against the run though

Seemed like a light went on with him the last 6 games or so. Maybe he is ready to break out. ( fingers crossed )

Beer - Wor - Spoon - Mass

Dent will be a solid Back up MLB as his only productive yr at UGA were in the 3-4

Bartu can back Beer and Spoon

Map will back Mass. Both should fit nice into the rush LB spot

Hopefully we add more help though. Add Mack and move Mass infront of Beer.

I would like to cut Beirmann and get the $3M cap relief. If you think that's an unpopular statement I think Spoon and Dent would be the best 3-4 ILBs. Dent played well in a 3-4 in college and rushes the passer better than Warlock. They both suck in coverage though.

In my opinion, the starting front 7 looks like this as of right now.

Tyson Jackson (LDE)

Paul Soliai (NT)

Jonathan Babineaux (RDE)

Kroy Biermann (LOLB)

Paul Worrilow (LILB)

Sean Weatherspoon (RILB)

Osi Umenyiora (ROLB)

It's odd to me that the OLB's are actually bigger than ILB's in 3-4 defenses. It makes sense after you understand their roles a little bit better, since the ILB's need the speed to run sideline to sideline while the OLB's have more passrushing responsibilities and a smaller portion of the field they are responsible for. Prototypical ILB's in 3-4 defenses are around 240lbs vs 260lbs for prototypical OLB's in the 3-4.

I'm not a fan of taking Bartu off the field and he will probably compete with Worrilow for the LILB position. Bartu is 2" taller but he's also the same weight, which means he's not as thick. I'm not sure which one will win that position battle. I'm leaning towards Worrilow but I wouldn't be surprised if Bartu won it outright, nor would I be surprised if there's a pretty heavy rotation. To me, it depends on what they are looking for out of that ILB position. Worrilow is a tackling machine but I think Bartu is better as a blitzing and coverage LBer.