A Matt Ryan Perspective And The Draft

MSalmon

I know threads about Matt get old, but if like this one to be an objective look at Matt.

After 6 seasons, the 28 yr old Matt,,has over 23k yds 153 TDs, 77 ints , almost 64% completion percentage and a 90.6 rating. Folks he's got a 2:1 TD to int percentage.

Also put in perspective, despite losing his 2 top targets for most of the season, the team lacking a running game and well let's just say that despite playing behind a leaky OL; Matt put up these numbers:

Over 4500 yds, completed 67% of his passes, tossed for 26 TDs, had 17 ints and a rating of just shy of 90.

Now let's look at the fact that most QBs who have maintained consistent numbers in their first 6 seasons, which Matt gas, generally hit their prime at the age Matt is now. If Matt simply keeps his numbers as they are, and shows zero improvement, these are his numbers by age 34:

Over 46k yds, over 300 TDs, versus 160 or so INTs, a 64% completion percentage and an over 90 rating

Folks those are HOF consideration numbers!

Since all seem to agree we've never had a great OL. What would be the difference in Matt's numbers and our effectiveness if we improve this area? We signed Asamoah, but how much better will Matt play if we had a Robinson or Matthews also on the OL?

Will Matt's numbers improve?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know threads about Matt get old, but if like this one to be an objective look at Matt.

After 6 seasons, the 28 yr old Matt,,has over 23k yds 153 TDs, 77 ints , almost 64% completion percentage and a 90.6 rating. Folks he's got a 2:1 TD to int percentage.

Also put in perspective, despite losing his 2 top targets for most of the season, the team lacking a running game and well let's just say that despite playing behind a leaky OL; Matt put up these numbers:

Over 4500 yds, completed 67% of his passes, tossed for 26 TDs, had 17 ints and a rating of just shy of 90.

Now let's look at the fact that most QBs who have maintained consistent numbers in their first 6 seasons, which Matt gas, generally hit their prime at the age Matt is now. If Matt simply keeps his numbers as they are, and shows zero improvement, these are his numbers by age 34:

Over 46k yds, over 300 TDs, versus 160 or so INTs, a 64% completion percentage and an over 90 rating

Since all seem to agree we've never had a great OL. What would be the difference in Matt's numbers and our effectiveness if we improve this area? We signed Asamoah, but how much better will Matt play if we had a Robinson or Matthews also on the OL?

Matts numbers will def improve. I don't know if i would be more excited at the improved pass protection or improved run game. Having a solid run game would do a lot for him with Julio and Roddy out wide.

If we go OT in the 1st and get the absolute best player we can get in the draft at that postion, then Ryan could ball out. But I think Ryan's numbers may be "hindered" a bit as I think we go back more to running the ball and eating up clock. Some call it Smitty ball...I think it's a power run game (we just don't have the personel for it...yet).

Matts numbers will def improve. I don't know if i would be more excited at the improved pass protection or improved run game. Having a solid run game would do a lot for him with Julio and Roddy out wide.

You're probably right. It actually astounds me when writing this post out just how good Matt has been. I tend to nitpick him like all fans. If he was on another team I'd be Clamoring for us to trade for him lol

Yeah the running game has to at least be established

You're probably right. It actually astounds me when writing this post out just how good Matt has been. I tend to nitpick him like all fans. If he was on another team I'd be Clamoring for us to trade for him lol

Yeah the running game has to at least be established

Yeah i don't really have any hate for Ryan except his lack of ability at extending plays. So many big plays come from doing that. Its something he definitely should work on, but other than that i could not be happier with the guy. He showed a lot of guts this past season getting his stuff pushed in every single game due to our O line.

If we go OT in the 1st and get the absolute best player we can get in the draft at that postion, then Ryan could ball out. But I think Ryan's numbers may be "hindered" a bit as I think we go back more to running the ball and eating up clock. Some call it Smitty ball...I think it's a power run game (we just don't have the personel for it...yet).

I think the yardage could either either go down slightly or plateau. But I think his TDs would go up and his ints down (from last years number). I certainly think his already great completion percentage would get better and his rating

Yeah i don't really have any hate for Ryan except his lack of ability at extending plays. So many big plays come from doing that. Its something he definitely should work on, but other than that i could not be happier with the guy. He showed a lot of guts this past season getting his stuff pushed in every single game due to our O line.

Agree. I think an improved running game will help eliminate that flaw. I rewatched some games the other day, and you're right he got pummeled and pummeled quickly

I think the yardage could either either go down slightly or plateau. But I think his TDs would go up and his ints down (from last years number). I certainly think his already great completion percentage would get better and his rating

From last years, yes. Compared to his best years: INTs down, still yes. TD up, I don't think so. 32-34 per season is close to Ryan's absolute celing. Happy to be wrong.

From last years, yes. Compared to his best years: INTs down, still yes. TD up, I don't think so. 32-34 per season is close to Ryan's absolute celing. Happy to be wrong.

Nothing wrong with that. 32-34 TDs is a great place to be. I am in no way suggesting Matt is Peyton level.matt may end up being that phil Simms or boomer Essiason type that is in the top 5 QB discussion but never the number 1 or "elite" QB

If Julio and Roddy stay healthy I think he puts up the best #s of his career, especially if we upgrade RT spot. I think there will be more big plays as well now that he is not always looking for Tony 7 yards downfield, I bet his YPA go up. Guy is just entering the prime age for a NFL QB.

If Julio and Roddy stay healthy I think he puts up the best #s of his career, especially if we upgrade RT spot. I think there will be more big plays as well now that he is not always looking for Tony 7 yards downfield, I bet his YPA go up. Guy is just entering the prime age for a NFL QB.

Agree, bro. What a great pick for us in 08

34 isn't his ceiling if Jones has a great year and they stop sitting on leads.

Year he had 32 TD, he had half a dozen dropped TDs, missed connections w/ Jones several times, threw down to the 1 and Turner ran it in a few times- could easily have had 40 TDs that year. Think you'll see 35-38 TDs in many years.

By the way, Ryan is top 11 all time for passer rating.

34 isn't his ceiling if Jones has a great year and they stop sitting on leads.

Year he had 32 TD, he had half a dozen dropped TDs, missed connections w/ Jones several times, threw down to the 1 and Turner ran it in a few times- could easily have had 40 TDs that year. Think you'll see 35-38 TDs in many years.

By the way, Ryan is top 11 all time for passer rating.

Nice stat..I didn't realize that about his rating.

I agree that there were some receiver drops last year. And your right the QB often never gets credit for getting the team to the redzone for a 1 yd run by rb

The reasons you stated above are exactly the reason I would NOT sign an OT in the 1st. Look the line will be at the very least better than it was last year. But our defense can't stop a stiff wind. We need to draft heavy on the front 7 of our defense.

lot of QBs face drop TDs ..Ryan is not a exception than if you also want to factor in that Ryan had 3 elite pass catching weapons how many TDs they had that many average players don't make

what's Russell Wilson on career passer rating list btw ?

Russell has 2 yrs under his belt. Let's see how consistent he is at his sixth year. Btw I like Wilson and wish him well unless he's playing against us lol

Matt Ryan lost both of his receivers for the majority of the season. He was the most pressured QB in the league. He had the support of one of the leagues worst run games coupled with a horrific defense...and he was STILL the best player on the team.

Screw people that have a problem with Matt. He's the best thing thats EVER happened to this franchise.

Matt Ryan lost both of his receivers for the majority of the season. He was the most pressured QB in the league. He had the support of one of the leagues worst run games coupled with a horrific defense...and he was STILL the best player on the team.

Screw people that have a problem with Matt. He's the best thing thats EVER happened to this franchise.

WORD......end thread .....

Andrew Luck under same circumstances helped his team to playoffs and a playoff win

He also threw 7 picks in those 2 games and only won because KC lost half its team over the course of the first game. If Ryan had done that you'd have 100's of posts ranting how he was an overrated turnover machine who got lucky.

lot of QBs face drop TDs ..Ryan is not a exception than if you also want to factor in that Ryan had 3 elite pass catching weapons how many TDs they had that many average players don't make

Doesn't have enough starts to qualify for the list I'm looking at.

Waaah waah waah. The year that Ryan had 32TDs, the falcons left 20+ TDs on the ground- missed connections, wrong routes, drops, passes caught on the 1 that got run in, bad throws by Ryan- get a third of those completed, that's 38 TDs. Thinking that's impossible is just your refusal to see anything positive happening for the Falcons unless it's one of your harebrained schemes.

If Jones has a monster year and Smith lets Ryan keep throwing, 35-40 TDs is a reasonable total.

He's not on the passer rating career list as he doesnt have enough games to qualify.

Matt Ryan is 11th. Trailing Rodgers, Manning, Young, Rivers, Romo, Brady, Brees, Warner, Ben and Montana.

Amen!!! I don't know why people chose not to see this as what it truly is. I also think Matt takes a lot of franchise QB records this year if I am not mistaken. He is very close to Bartkowski in a lot of categories.

By no later the second game of the 2014 Season...Matt Ryan will hold all Falcon QB Passing records that matter:

Touchdowns (1 TD away from Bartkowski) 153 TDs

Attempts (41 attempts away from Bartkowski) 3288

Already hols records for completions and yards:

• Passing Completions: 2,093 Matt Ryan (2008–present)
  • Passing Yards: 23,472 Matt Ryan (2008–present)

Before this thread goes flying into **** country on a first class flight, I'll answer.

Maybe. Matt's numbers may improve. Really, a lot of it is on Smitty/Koetter. These guys really like ball control offense relying on short/medium routes that are designed to keep the offense on the field and run the clock. We don't use the no huddle enough and we have a fairly predictable offensive approach that gets by on talent rather than great strategy. But the last time we had two healthy receivers on the field, we saw the offense start to trend more toward the type of offense we should be running. A few more fluid shots deep down the field as opposed to the "set up" philosophy that we've used a lot. More deep crossing patters from Julio.

I think assuming A) we have two healthy receivers B ) the OL isn't a tire fire and C) we can find something that will force the middle of the defense to be pushed back a bit, you'll see improvement in the numbers.

FTR, I dont really think much improvement is necessary but getting better is always good.

Romo is 5th tho . Is he a HOF ?

Nice try on the diversion. I'll play along.

Does Romo play at the level of a Hall of Fame QB? Absolutely.

Will he be voted into the Hall of Fame? Questionable.

But whether or not a group of old ******** in a room think Tony Romo is or isnt a HoF doesnt take away his performances on this field. And his performances on the field, though a bit erratic, are typically very very very good. In that regard, Romo might be the most underappreciated QB in the league.