Mock And Recap

Atlanta has been extremely active this off season and has really loaded down on the defensive side of the ball as well as adding depth and a very good kick returner. After taking a hard look at the roster i could definately see us taking this route.

RECAP

CUTS

Reynolds

Decoud (thank god)

Snelling (retired)

Gonzo

No surprises here besides gonzo failing to file his retirement papers.

RESIGNS

Peters

Babs

Jerry (depth)

Hawley

Johnson (not expected but not a surprise)

Mcclain (tendered as expected)

A little surprised that we resigned all our DTs but i understand considering the lack of depth and scheme knowledge.

FREE AGENCY

OG Jon Asamoah (expected and happy)

DE Tyson Jackson (unexpected but happy)

NT/DT Paul Soliai (a little old but very happy)

WR/KR devin Hester (unexpected but good)

CB Javier Arenas

I had a feeling we would go all out in free agency this year and dimi certainly didnt disapoint. Very happy with all of these signings besides spending a bit much on certain players. I didnt expect them to go after soliai with him being 30 but i did expect a big NT type DT. Soliai is a monster, jackson is a runstopping beast, both of these guys will have a huge impact on freeing up our linebackers. I fully believe we will have a strong pass rush this year. Arenas was a great pickup, i think he might beat out mcclain at nickle but hes only 26 and the much needed depth is very welcome. Hester is aging but make no mistake he is a top return man. My favorite pickup was Asomoah as i consider RG our weakest position. I suspect we are done in free agency but we might still see another surprise sign.

DRAFT

Please hold all comments till reading the full thread. This was a thought out process.

Needs by rank: FS, OT, OC, TE, LB, RB

I know some might think that TE should be higher on my list but i fully believe that Toilolo is the expected starter and there will be som prime prospects late in this draft.

Rd1. OT Jake Matthews

We like that matthews has family in the league and robinson will be gone.

Rd2. FS Calvin Pryor

This is a hope that he falls but id trade up to get him if i had to. We need a starter at FS and there is noone worth a top 6 pick which is y i go FS second .

Rd3. OLB Telvin Smith

After grabing my safety and tackle im at a crossroads between adding a center and adding a linebacker, i see center as a bigger need but i also see better center prospects dropping to the fourth and fifth round than linebacker so that being said smith is a bit unexperienced as hes only been a linebacker for 1 year but he is aggressive and gets to through the line fast. We need to add another linebacker if we want to play more 3-4 although i do see kroy and a few of our other ends have the ability to play linebacker.

Rd4. RB Charles Sims

Sims is a guy that really impressed the staff at the senior bowl and i fully believe they will end up drafting this kid after losing snells.

Rd5. OC Bryan Stork

I like hawley as a starter so dont think this pick was made with the plan of replacing hawley as hawley has proven to be an aggressive player who will do what has to be done to get the job done and he does it well. That being said my confidence in konz as a backup let alone a starting prospect has been shaken after the terrible showing hes had. Thus i bring in stork a guy who anchored the center of florida states oline and done it very well as their quarterback had a career making year and led them to the BCS national championship.

CmpRd5. TE Xavier Grimble

Again i fully believe they intend to make toilolo the starter, however the need for depth at TE is bad and grimble is a very good prospect out of southern cal. Hes a great blocker and a pretty athletic guy. I fully believe he was underused at school and will be a surprise to many.

Rd6. DT Zack Kerr

We currently have 5 DTs on the roster but none of which can back up soliai at NT IMO. The front office has worked out kerr recently and i think hes a very underated prospect and dimi will realize this and run to the podium to snatch this kid up in the 6th.

Rd7. CB Aaron Colvin

We currently have 4 CBs on the roster as well as a few on the practice squad, colvin suffered a terrible injury at the senior bowl and his stock has plummetted from first rounder to top of the seventh due to a surplus of CB talent. That being said atlanta will be getting incredible value here in the seventh a the reward far outweighs the risk.

CmpRd7. TE Colt Lyerla

I know this kid has some off the field issues but im hoping with pioli now on the payroll he will loosen up a bit as he has done already with the way hes gone about free agency. That being said lyerla is a pro bowl talent with serious issues but the reward is compelling and a comp seventh isnt a big price.

CompRd7. OG Spencer Long

Long is another injured player who was ranked as a top 100 player but getting him here is a steal as he could supplant blalock after a few years.

CompRd7. QB Tahj Boyd

He may no longer be on the board here but if he is then i say take him. Hes very athletic, had a great pro day and we have a desperate need for a legit backup to ryan.

ROSTER

QB

Ryan

Davis

Renfree

Boyd

RB

Jackson

Quizz

Smith

Sims

Vaughan

FB

Ewing

Dimarco

TE

Toilolo

Grimble

Lyerla

OT

Baker

Matthews

Holmes

Johnson

Schraeder

Jones

OG

Blalock

Asamoah

Carimi

Gunn

Long

OC

Hawley

Stork

Konz

WR

White

Julio

Douglas

Hester

Davis

Johnson

DE

Osi

Biermann

Jackson

Goodman

Massaquoi

Maponga

Matthews

DT

Soliai

Babs

Peters

Jerry

Robertson

Kerr

LB

Spoon

Worrilow

Bartu

Dent

Smith

CB

Trufant

Alford

Arenas

McClain

Colvin

SS

Moore

Motta

FS

Pryor

Ishmael

Looking at the roster you can easily see why i didnt draft a DE or WR. I added the needed depth brought in competition at various positions and solidified tackle and FS.

Edited by ssippifalcon

Atlanta has been extremely active this off season and has really loaded down on the defensive side of the ball as well as adding depth and a very good kick returner. After taking a hard look at the roster i could definately see us taking this route.

RECAP

CUTS

Reynolds

Decoud (thank god)

Snelling (retired)

Gonzo

RESIGNS

Peters

Babs

Jerry (depth)

Hawley

A little surprised that we resigned all our DTs but i understand considering the lack of depth and scheme knowledge.

FREE AGENCY

CB Javier Arenas

I had a feeling we would go all out in free agency this year and dimi certainly didnt disapoint. Very happy with all of these signings besides spending a bit much on certain players. I didnt expect them to go after soliai with him being 30 but i did expect a big NT type DT. Soliai is a monster, jackson is a runstopping beast, both of these guys will have a huge impact on freeing up our linebackers. I fully believe we will have a strong pass rush this year. Arenas was a great pickup, i think he might beat out mcclain at nickle but hes only 26 and the much needed depth is very welcome. Hester is aging but make no mistake he is a top return man. My favorite pickup was Asomoah as i consider RG our weakest position. I suspect we are done in free agency but we might still see another surprise sign.

DRAFT

Please hold all comments till reading the full thread. This was a thought out process.

I know some might think that TE should be higher on my list but i fully believe that Toilolo is the expected starter and there will be som prime prospects late in this draft.

Rd1. OT Jake Matthews

Rd2. FS Calvin Pryor

This is a hope that he falls but id trade up to get him if i had to. We need a starter at FS and there is noone worth a top 6 pick which is y i go FS second .

Gotta drive TO BE CONTINUED............

I like your take on. And I think it's the right way to go

RECAP

CUTS

Reynolds

Decoud (thank god)

Snelling (retired)

Gonzo

RESIGNS

Peters

Babs

Jerry (depth)

Hawley

FREE AGENCY

CB Javier Arenas

DRAFT

Rd1. OT Jake Matthews

Rd2. FS Calvin Pryor

Gotta drive TO BE CONTINUED............

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY

SOUTH CAROLINA

OT MORGAN MOSES

VIRGINIA

S DION BAILEY

USC

RB LACHE SEASTRUNK

BAYLOR

DT DANIEL MCCULLERS

TENNESSEE

TE ARTHUR LYNCH

GEORGIA

CB BENNETT JACKSON

NOTRE DAME

How about this? You can replace Clowney with Mack or Barr to be as realistic as you like.

Do you really think Pryor will fall to our second pick? Most are projecting him to go in the first round.

nope i certainly dont think he will fall, but i do think that with the amount of talent thats there and the surplus of safeties taken this free agency that its possible he does fall. I wouldnt be against trading up to get him though.

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY

SOUTH CAROLINA

OT MORGAN MOSES

VIRGINIA

S DION BAILEY

USC

RB LACHE SEASTRUNK

BAYLOR

DT DANIEL MCCULLERS

TENNESSEE

TE ARTHUR LYNCH

GEORGIA

CB BENNETT JACKSON

NOTRE DAME

How about this? You can replace Clowney with Mack or Barr to be as realistic as you like.

i think mack barr and clowney could all fall to us but clowney wouldnt make sense considering what we already have on the roster at DE, we have 7 DEs on the roster and the only one i can see us cutting is mattews and i see them bringing him to camp. I see linebacker as a need but i see safety and tackle as a bigger need. I could see us take mack or barr but i see it more likely that we go tackle or safety first.

I like your thought process here. My only meaningful disagreement is Telvin Smith. My concern is that he is undersized and doubt he will be able to put enough mass on to be able be an effective pass rusher or every down player in the NFL. As an avid FSU fan I saw him make some nice plays but I see him as more developmental in the NFL.

I like your thought process here. My only meaningful disagreement is Telvin Smith. My concern is that he is undersized and doubt he will be able to put enough mass on to be able be an effective pass rusher or every down player in the NFL. As an avid FSU fan I saw him make some nice plays but I see him as more developmental in the NFL.

yeah when i got to the third i was tryin to find the best linebacker available and i dont think attoachu falls.

I like the picks, though I think Pryor falling to the 2nd is more than a longshot. I think he will go in the 15-20 ranger, and possibly earlier. I think Jimmy Ward is a bit more realistic, but I like the picks.

thanks i get that same feeling but with the class so deep as well as the safety class being fairly deep i can see him fall. Its more of a hope than anything but i think if dimi wants him that bad he'll trade back or trade back into the first. Either way i also like ward and buchanon, i just think pryor is the most ready to start off the bat.