All These Signings Mean Something To Me

jdawg4876

on paper it seems all the signings have not point in direction or scheme and I agree with that, BUT what I think is for the first time in the smitty era we are finally going to have a what I have been wanting for at least 2 yrs true OPEN COMPETITION. As of now the only players im sure are safe are matt ryan, Julio jones, Roddy white, Bosher, and bryant.

I see competition everywhere this yr and not just lip service from smitty. I cant wait for mini camps training camp and pre season. we have two new coaches on both lines, so yes we brought back babs, peters, and peria. Im willing to bet we bring in some dts in the draft and at least one or two of those re signings are gone. Same with LB and a CB hence the arenas signing. we all know the o line will bring fierce competition. Im willing to bet we draft a safety and bring in a vet, same with TE since Tony G is gone. As a former athlete I believe true competition breeds winners, so may the best player win, Bc I do believe the FO and coaches know what direction we are going and I believe they want the best 53 men coming along for the ride this yr so let the fun begin its time to get tougher and meaner.

on paper it seems all the signings have not point in direction or scheme and I agree with that, BUT what I think is for the first time in the smitty era we are finally going to have a what I have been wanting for at least 2 yrs true OPEN COMPETITION. As of now the only players im sure are safe are matt ryan, Julio jones, Roddy white, Bosher, and bryant.

I see competition everywhere this yr and not just lip service from smitty. I cant wait for mini camps training camp and pre season. we have two new coaches on both lines, so yes we brought back babs, peters, and peria. Im willing to bet we bring in some dts in the draft and at least one or two of those re signings are gone. Same with LB and a CB hence the arenas signing. we all know the o line will bring fierce competition. Im willing to bet we draft a safety and bring in a vet, same with TE since Tony G is gone. As a former athlete I believe true competition breeds winners, so may the best player win, Bc I do believe the FO and coaches know what direction we are going and I believe they want the best 53 men coming along for the ride this yr so let the fun begin its time to get tougher and meaner.

Good post.

Smart arses in 1,2,3

Trufant and moore are a lock too i think.

Good post. It does look like we'll have more competition this year. So that's great.

I still don't think we've done enough by adding one starter to a terrible O line. I wish we would have signed another quality starter to the O line in FA (still possible I guess but doesn't look likely). Rookie O linemen take time to develop, and we're in desperate straits right now.

With the guys signed so far, it's looking more like a 3-4 D.

I'm hopeful that's an indicator that Smith is going to reign back on his coordinators and let them do their jobs.

I'm for taking risks at times, but the right times.

I'm for playing smart even if it's conservative - at the right times.

"If you want to see something you've not seen, you've got to do something you've not done"

Edited by charliechaplin

Don't believe it. Just last year TG got preferential treatment and did not have to go to training camp. The Franchises preaches no sacred cows yet Ryan, Jones, and White don't have to deal with competition.

Why would they? You would have to do some looking to find entire NFL teams who have players starting that would give them competition. There certainly aren't any players on our team or in FA that could provide any legit competition for them.

They are among the very best in the league at their positions.

I've always hoped for true open competition, but it's just not going to happen as long as the player's contract is prioritized. (Which we do too much)

It takes an owner and front office willing to risk losing money by benching the high priced player or the underperforming draft pick. We just don't do that. It's sad.

I'm generally very supportive and optimistic of our approach, but this is certainly a shortcoming.

I've always hoped for true open competition, but it's just not going to happen as long as the player's contract is prioritized. (Which we do too much)

It takes an owner and front office willing to risk losing money by benching the high priced player or the underperforming draft pick. We just don't do that. It's sad.

I'm generally very supportive and optimistic of our approach, but this is certainly a shortcoming.

the only huge contracts we still have are sam baker and matt ryan. even the new guys got paid but not mega contracts, you can easily cut osi, jackson and others for no huge ramifications. even roddy might restructure before the season starts. so even if your right only have two mega contracts out of a 53 ran roster is not bad, so no worries there

Don't believe it. Just last year TG got preferential treatment and did not have to go to training camp. The Franchises preaches no sacred cows yet Ryan, Jones, and White don't have to deal with competition.

really lol tg got that treatment bc he is arguably the best TE to ever play the game and statistically is the best, I put that on TG for not showing up, he always acted like football was his top priority im glad he is gone to be honest.

These signings aren't about open competition. These are about being aggressive. Period. By signing Hester, the boys at FB have said "touchbacks and fair catches aren't good enough, we want touchdowns".

by signing the big nasties on the lines, they've said "bbdb isn't good enough, we want to manhandle you".

you're witnessing a change in our game...

Because you don't bring in someone good enough to 'Compete' with players that are top 10 at their position. That's a waste of money no matter who ends up winning the competition.

Who do you suggest is brought in to compete with Jones and Ryan for their starting position?... just curious

I have no problem with resigning Jerry. With the hybrid scheme we run we have a need for a lot of Dlineman. this also allows us to use Babs and Jerry to their strengths. Give them one job to do and put them in the best position to do that job and their productivity will look much better.

Soliai, Jackson, Babs, Peters, Jerry. A lot of people always said our starters wouldnt be starters on another team, well here you go they are back ups now and make our Dline strong depth wise.