If We Are Going To Keep All Our 4-3 Dts, We Might As Well Sign Jared Allen

g-dawg

If we are truly going to be multiple and still run the 4-3 looks, why not sign Jared Allen to a short deal? He and his agent have to have figured out by now that he is not getting $10+mm/yr and nobody wants him for more than 2-3 years.

By God, you know this guy would give you all he has and "bring it" every down.

Why not? 2 years, what is the downside? if his production falls off the cliff, you cut him after this year.

vikes-pack.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Word is, he was offered an almost identical contract to DeMarcus Ware and turned it down. I don't think he or his agent has accepted the fact that he isn't going to find a better deal than that.

I don't think $8m would get him here.

yeah, probably not - but we could cut Arenas/Jerry/Peters :D and make up the difference - those guys are trash anyway.

yes but tell me again - who is our reliable passrusher?

when have 3-4 DE's been known to rack up huge sack numbers? We have 3 4-3 defensive ends that can be a pass rushing OLB whether people want to face that reality or not. 4 if you wanna count osi, who was cross trained last season. I would have rather upgraded from all 3 of the men that were already on the roster but it didn't happen and there isn't much that can be done about it. Players who haven't gotten a real chance will likely be cut and replaced by rookies and/or a cheap vet.

What? Is this a joke? We'd only shave about 1.5 off the cap, with all of those moves combined.

I'm not saying those guys would cover Jared Allen's salary - I'm saying they would cover the difference between what we might have to pay versus what we should pay to get him.

when have 3-4 DE's been known to rack up huge sack numbers? We have 3 4-3 defensive ends that can be a pass rushing OLB whether people want to face that reality or not. 4 if you wanna count osi, who was cross trained last season. I would have rather upgraded from all 3 of the men that were already on the roster but it didn't happen and there isn't much that can be done about it. Players who haven't gotten a real chance will likely be cut and replaced by rookies and/or a cheap vet.

we have a bunch of pass rush wannabes that won't get the job done and haven't gotten the job done - but yeah - keep planning on that!

1.5 million? Um, no.

first of all - I challenge your $1.5mm. that would mean $500k per player - I believe the vet minimum is more than that. Also, I think we are paying Peters at least $1mm. And third, even if I subscribed to your math(I don't), then it would still work.

$8mm/yr offer

$9.5mm/yr to get the job done

yes.

we have a bunch of pass rush wannabes that won't get the job done and haven't gotten the job done - but yeah - keep planning on that!

So, young corners are going to be better right? pass rush improved. Better run D means more 3rd and longs, much easier to get a sack on 3rd and 8 as opposed to 3rd and 3?pass rush improved. Additions to the DLine mean Babs, Biermann and Peters are all playing reduced snaps and can be more effective? pass rush improved. That's not even assuming that Mass, Goodman and Maponga develop.

So yeah, there's reasons to think the pass rush is improved already. They almost undoubtedly draft a pass rusher with 1st or 2nd pick in draft.

So, young corners are going to be better right? pass rush improved. Better run D means more 3rd and longs, much easier to get a sack on 3rd and 8 as opposed to 3rd and 3?pass rush improved. Additions to the DLine mean Babs, Biermann and Peters are all playing reduced snaps and can be more effective? pass rush improved. That's not even assuming that Mass, Goodman and Maponga develop.

So yeah, there's reasons to think the pass rush is improved already. They almost undoubtedly draft a pass rusher with 1st or 2nd pick in draft.

you keep saying "passrush improved" - where are you getting that from, my friend? we have done nothing YET to improve the passrush. Soliai and Tyson were brought in to improve the run defense - and that is all they are good for - glad we got them but it does nothing to solve our passrush deficiencies.

thats your opinion. Like I said we have 3 capable pass rushing OLBs on the roster as of this very moment and kroy is the only one who has actually been giving the chance to do so. You don't have to like it but it's a very good chance that you're just gonna have to deal with it

Plenty of teams need pass rush help badly and none of them have signed Allen for 10 mil a year. That should tell you something.

it tells you he is old and most teams don't want to tie up large dollars for a 1-2 year rental.

I don't want to pay Allen $10mm/yr either. Also, 1/2 the NFL teams don't have that much cap room (i.e. Dallas) now anyway.

The problem is not "Jared Allen sucks" - its that he is older and he still wants to be paid like he is 27 years old.

Market value on Jared Allen is probably $8mm/yr. and he is holding out for more.

you keep saying "passrush improved" - where are you getting that from, my friend? we have done nothing YET to improve the passrush. Soliai and Tyson were brought in to improve the run defense - and that is all they are good for - glad we got them but it does nothing to solve our passrush deficiencies.

I figured even you were smart enough to know that having a true NT on the roster would free up our other pass rushers, but I guess not.

thats your opinion. Like I said we have 3 capable pass rushing OLBs on the roster as of this very moment and kroy is the only one who has actually been giving the chance to do so. You don't have to like it but it's a very good chance that you're just gonna have to deal with it

Massaquoi might have some upside but he could really go either way - none of us knows for sure what he is gonna do - i'm hopeful but he should be like an "icing on the cake" kind of player that should not be counted on - but just a sweet luxury if he pans out.

Maponga? he definitely is a developmental player that should not be counted on.

Goodman? he is not a passrusher but maybe more of a 3-4 DE if he can bulk up.

Osi? he is square peg in round hole kind of guy - not a stand-up OLB

Kroy? I like Kroy but he is not even a #2 passrusher - he is your "swiss-army" do it all guy that can do lots of things decently but does not excel in anything.