Best Overall Edge Rusher In The Draft?

Of course I have my opinions on this but I would like to hear what everyone else's opinion is.

My criteria would be as listed

1. Effort(Motor)

2. Technique

3. Physical attributes

4. Effectiveness in defending the run

Also I would ask that we refrain from bringing stats to this table unless it is a reinforcing one of the 4 criteria above.

And don't limit you evaluations to only the top prospects, diamonds in the rough are found every year.

Edited by atlGM

Of course I have my own opinions on this but I would like to hear what everyone else's opinion is.

My criteria would be as listed

1. Effort(Motor)

2. Technique

3. Physical attributes

4. Effectiveness in defending the run

Also I would ask that we refrain from bringing stats to this table unless it is a reinforcing one of the 4 criteria above.

Only one coming to mind would be Mr. Dee Ford. I've watched all the games and alot of highlights on this kid. He has quietly become a complete package. He is completely focused when it comes to football...

Only one coming to mind would be Mr. Dee Ford. I've watched all the games and alot of highlights on this kid. He has quietly become a complete package. He is completely focused when it comes to football...

He and Ealy have been on my radar lately. I almost can see Ford being as valuable as Mack for our defense.

Dee Ford isn't flashy, but his effort and motor is what I like about him. I know he is going to give it his all and ain't going to give the O-lineman any breaks. I've heard rumors about him sliding down to the second, which would be amazing since I definitely don't see any reason to spend the 6th pick on him.

Dee Ford isn't flashy, but his effort and motor is what I like about him. I know he is going to give it his all and ain't going to give the O-lineman any breaks. I've heard rumors about him sliding down to the second, which would be amazing since I definitely don't see any reason to spend the 6th pick on him.

Im not sold on Ford. We heard very little about him before the combine. Then he dominates at the combine and everybody talks like he is the next great DE. Then, since the combine we are back to not hearing anything about him

Im not sold on Ford. We heard very little about him before the combine. Then he dominates at the combine and everybody talks like he is the next great DE. Then, since the combine we are back to not hearing anything about him

I think it is because he doesn't fit the ideal prototype for a Defensive End. Everyone is falling in love with these 6'5 guys. Also I think alot of people are ignoring him is because on tape,many of his sacks look to easy. It seems like he has an open lane to the QB and simply beats everyone by pure speed and effort. I think he is so good at his job that he makes it look easier than it actually is.

No thankyou. When I first watched his tape I really liked him. But recently I've noticed how slow he is. He was a nightmare to watch at the probowl and I don't see him being drafted until possibly the 3rd round.

hes more of a 3-4 De than a pure edge rusher. Speed isn't a necessity for a pass rusher although it helps. You can be the fastest man alive but if you can't get around blocks, you're worthless. He's been looked at as a 2nd or 3rd rounder all along. Looking at the 4 things the op is looking for, Murphy fits the description

You have to group the DEs with the OLBs if you want to find the best edge rusher. Mack, Clowney and Barr are the best. All three should have good careers. You can't count out Ford, Ealy, Murphy, Attaochu, Tuitt, Shazier or Van Noy. There will probably be someone outside of that group like Lawrence, Smith or Crichton that will surprise. It's a good year for edge rushers but I prefer an edge rusher that's solid in run defense. Not all of them are.

You have to group the DEs with the OLBs if you want to find the best edge rusher. Mack, Clowney and Barr are the best. All three should have good careers. You can't count out Ford, Ealy, Murphy, Attaochu, Tuitt, Shazier or Van Noy. There will probably be someone outside of that group like Lawrence, Smith or Crichton that will surprise. It's a good year for edge rushers but I prefer an edge rusher that's solid in run defense. Not all of them are.

I would take Van Noy over Barr by a long shot

Don't care, I want to see what our current DE's can do with a decent interior Dline that can command double teams and get some push up the middle. No need to waste picks on yet another edge rusher considering our current roster may play alot better now if some beef in the middle.

I would take Van Noy over Barr by a long shot

Not trying to start a fight, but what do you see in Van Noy that makes you think so highly of him. My nightmare scenario is the Falcons thinking Van Noy is the answer at OLB. After watching him play, i tend to agree with the following analysis of his weaknesses:

"Not an elite athlete overall. A bit slow to 'shoot his gun' when ballcarriers are running at him and relies too much on a simple bull-rush when coming off the edge. Wasn't as disruptive as a senior, in part due to opponents game-planning to avoid him. However, he was also without 2013 first-round pick DL Ziggy Ansah occupying blockers in front of him.

Relies on instincts and efficiency, rather than physicality. Beats blockers to the action, rather than taking them on shedding violently and isn't an explosive tackler. Projects best as a traditional outside linebacker in the 4-3 alignment because of this lack of take-on mentality, though he has shown the ability to get to the quarterback."

Pure pass-rushing? Barr. And it may not be close. All-around? Mack, and it may not be close. Mack FAR exceeds Barr's Tackle total and Tackles for Loss. But Barr, has had back to back double digit sack totals in a tougher conference.

I'd say Barr has the highest ceiling but from a rushing stand point were you factor in moves power speed and technique Its not even close

I say as far as talent Barr is right there with clowney he's just really raw