Keep Calm And Keep Perspective---Five Reasons Why Resigning Peria Jerry Makes Sense

Five_Fifs

1. Please flame me if I'm wrong when the details come out, but this deal in all likelihood is relatively risk free. At this stage in FA with no developing market, it's probably one-year, probably right around the vet minimum, and probably has a nominal amount of guarantees, if any

2. There is no "sacred cow" title protecting him as in years past...getting over injuries will not be an excuse to let him live out his contract

3. He actually played decently last year.....if were counting on him to be starter, that be a problem. As a back-up, situational guy, he has value

4. Cap hit is essentially 0.....assuming he signed for something around the veteran minimum, his cap hit for the time being is the difference between his salary and the 51st highest salary we have

5. THE BIGGEST REASON why resigning Peria Jerry makes sense is that Sugar Bear Hamilton was FIRED because NO ONE improved under his tutelage.NO ONE......Peria was a projected first rounder for a reason......let's give a "better" coach a chance to put paws on him a chance before we completely cut him loose......if Cox can't do it, then he's a very easy cut and we loose nothing.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Please flame me if I'm wrong when the details come out, but this deal in all likelihood is relatively risk free. At this stage in FA with no developing market, it's probably one-year, probably right around the vet minimum, and probably has a nominal amount of guarantees, if any

2. There is no "sacred cow" title protecting him as in years past...getting over injuries will not be an excuse to let him live out his contract

3. He actually played decently last year.....if were counting on him to be starter, that be a problem. As a back-up, situational guy, he has value

4. Cap hit is essentially 0.....assuming he signed for something around the veteran minimum, his cap hit for the time being is the difference between his salary and the 51st highest salary we have

5. THE BIGGEST REASON why resigning Peria Jerry makes sense is that Sugar Bear Hamilton was FIRED because NO ONE improved under his tutelage.NO ONE......Peria was a projected first rounder for a reason......let's give a "better" coach a chance to put paws on him a chance before we completely cut him loose......if Cox can't do it, then he's a very easy cut and we loose nothing.

Good post. Its kinda refrsheing to hear some rational thinking for a change... All of the sky is falling posts over every FO move is getting tiresome

@RYNE for some reason my quote button isn't working on this cpu

I think the direction of the defense makes sense ONCE you accept the premise that Nolan and Smitty haven't been lying to us about running the same scheme as before.

The additions of Jackson and Soliai are indications that we are putting a premium on better personnel for our scheme.

Peria played a lot of 5T last year and even some nose early on last season, for the sake at keeping Babs at the 3T.....I haven't reviewed each game I detail yet, but I suspect that our later season games, we played Babs at the 5T more often than Peria and Mac-Goody more than both of them....and Peria started playing more of his natural 3T.

I'm confident he is back primarily as a back up to Babs and in pass rushing-sub package looks.

I think the biggest difference you will see this year is going to be us having guys doing more of what they're good at and less force fitting. Seems simple, but it's a big thing