If You Can't Draft And Develop Young Talent, You Don't Deserve To Be A Head Coach.

Macintez

Look, I like bringing in high quality FA's as much as anyone on this board. But, if you don't know how to draft and develop young players, then you don't need to be a head coach period. That is the purpose of the coaching staff period. Now, there's nothing wrong with adding a vet here or there, I like the Tyson and Soliai signings because they make sense from a scheme perspective. But continuing to add vets because you can't or are not patient enough to get young players to develop makes the staff look bad.

I see a lot of people clamoring for Devin Hester, I wanted him on the team too until I seen his contract demands. Look, we don't have enough cap to invest 4 mil in a luxary position. I would rather we get a fresh yoing talent hungry to prove themselves.

Sometimes, I feel our fans impatience when it comes to winning makes our organization like this. We can't keep investing all out money in these vets with nothing to prove and all the greed in the world. We need to build thru the draft and only the draft.

I don't think it's the HC;s job to develop the young players. He does have the responsibility to hire lower-level coaches who are able to develop said players. But the NFL is a "good-old-boy network" when it comes to coaching hires. Mike Smith is not one to break from that tradition of hiring the people who have hired you or you've worked with before, even if the end result is an on-going, dismal failure to get the job done. We flame TD in here often for the lack of foundational talent he's brought to the team, but Smith's miserable OL and DL coaching hires are also certainly to blame for the epic FAIL that is our OL and DL units.

I don't think it's the HC;s job to develop the young players. He does have the responsibility to hire lower-level coaches who are able to develop said players. But the NFL is a "good-old-boy network" when it comes to coaching hires. Mike Smith is not one to break from that tradition of hiring the people who have hired you or you've worked with before, even if the end result is an on-going, dismal failure to get the job done. We flame TD in here often for the lack of foundational talent he's brought to the team, but Smith's miserable OL and DL coaching hires are also certainly to blame for the epic FAIL that is our OL and DL units.

good point Steve. anyone with eyes could see that our D-linemen were not getting developed and were screaming for Hamilton's head since 2010. I refuse to believe that every defensive line player drafted since 2008 is that awful. this year we'll finally get to see what we have

This^^^^^

We'll harp on TD and Mike Smith for everything......

But if you don't have the coaches that develop players properly, you'll fail everytime...

This^^^^^

We'll harp on TD and Mike Smith for everything......

But if you don't have the coaches that develop players properly, you'll fail everytime...

Wow, who is responsible for putting together the staff?

Look, Smith is a really good head coach, but the staff surrounding him until last season has always been questionable. I kind of want Blank to keep him longer than what his contract says. It takes a while to build championship teams. I don't agree to devoting most of our salary cap to signing a team full of veterans from other teams. Get some young players and push/motivate them.

I've been saying this for years now. And it is, IMO, the responsibility of the HC for the development of the players that are drafted. We've been lacking a pass rush before JA98. We have drafted 4 DEs over the years. Between Kroy, Maponga, Massaquoi, Matthews and Goodman...there's no reason why we should having a conversation about a lack of a pass rush. But here we are...AGAIN...talking about high $$ FA DEs...LOL.

Wow, who is responsible for putting together the staff?

Look, Smith is a really good head coach, but the staff surrounding him until last season has always been questionable. I kind of want Blank to keep him longer than what his contract says. It takes a while to build championship teams. I don't agree to devoting most of our salary cap to signing a team full of veterans from other teams. Get some young players and push/motivate them.

The OL and DL Staff have always been questionable....

Especially when we had brian vangorder and ray hamilton who i felt were holding us back on the defensive side of the ball. Also, most of the players we released and/or cut were part of Vangorder's 4-3 base defense and most teams in the league caught up to what we were up to and vangorder nor hamilton never tried to adjust....

Edited by DirtyBird8711