A Little Disappointed By Our Off-Season?

Is it just me, or did we make more lateral moves than upgrades? Different is not better. With a switch to more 3-4 looks we've gotten pieces that fit that formation more adequately.

But just cause it's a different formation doesn't automatically mean it's better. By all accounts, Soliai and Jackson are good run stuffers but not pass rushers. This is a passing league. Oh and by the way, we can't stop that either.

This team is not far away from a SB. Upgrading our positions of need could have for us there. Instead we revamp the entire defense without all the pieces we need to run it. Not saying it's impossible, just voicing concern.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or did we make more lateral moves than upgrades? Different is not better. With a switch to more 3-4 looks we've gotten pieces that fit that formation more adequately.

But just cause it's a different formation doesn't automatically mean it's better. By all accounts, Soliai and Jackson are good run stuffers but not pass rushers. This is a passing league. Oh and by the way, we can't stop that either.

This team is not far away from a SB. Upgrading our positions of need could have for us there. Instead we revamp the entire defense without all the pieces we need to run it. Not saying it's impossible, just voicing concern.

I don't agree. The struggles last season on both lines wasn't the result of injuries alone and I think that it became obvious that this team needs to improve greatly on a number of positions in order to become a contender again. This might not be done in one season ..

in a base 3-4 the outside pass rush will come from the OLBs not the D-line

the main job of the DE,NT,DE on the line will be to collapse the pocket (get an inside push) so that there is no place for the QB to step up in the pocket and avoid the outside rushers.

Eliminate the pocket and the outside rushers will do much metter. Do not expect a ton of sacks from Jackson, Soliai and Babs/Peters

Look for more sacks from the 2 olbs ie Mass/Bier and Osi/Maponga or Mack or whoever

also look for many variations off the base 3-4

0-16 staring us dead in the eyeballs.

No

This offseason has been 1000x better than last year so far. I didn't agree with letting go of Abe. DEFINITELY didn't agree with alot of the draft moves we made. Wasn't neccesarily against the Sam Baker deal, but i wasn't a huge fan of it. In hindsight it obviously looks unwise.

Cliff Avril, Michael Bennet, Terrance Knighton. Eugene Monroe via trade would all have been very good signings. The first 3 being definitely cheap considering we went into the season with 7m in cap space as "emergency" funds.

We kept our two starting DT's from last year and signed two more NFL starting caliber Dlineman. At very least it gives us great depth and versatility.

And we got significantly better at RG. Asamoah doesn't have to be an all-pro to show huge upgrade over Reynolds/Konz.

If you can stop the run with 4 guys, you have a lot more flexibility with the other 7 guys for coverages. If you are forced to commit 6-7 guys to the run like last year, you only have 4-5 in coverage.

And I'm referring to the plays that are less obvious for down and distance.