Fb Eril Lorig Now A Saint

SaintRay

New Orleans Saints‏@Saints25s

The #Saints have agreed to terms with FB Erik Lorig on a 4-year contract

Sorry to see Collins go. I've read Lorig is just as good run blocking, but is a better receiver and I thought Collins caught the ball pretty good.

Any thoughts from the Tampa contingent?

In the process of remaking their backfield, the Saints went out and stole a player from a division rival.

The team announced they had signed Buccaneers free agent fullback Erik Lorig to a four-year deal.

Lorig didn't carry the ball last year, but he had 11 receptions for the Bucs. And he gives the Saints something they lack, since there were no fullbacks on the roster after they declined to tender restricted free agent Jed Collins a deal.

The Saints have traded Darren Sproles, but kept Pierre Thomas with a contract extension, and the 250-pound Lorig gives them a different dimension in the backfield.

New Orleans Saints@Saints25s

The #Saints have agreed to terms with FB Erik Lorig on a 4-year contract

EDIT : mistyped his name as Eril....it's Erik

Ray, You'll like this guy! I was really sorry to see him go, I was hoping we'd re-sign him. He'll do well blocking and catching the occasional ball outta the backfield while keeping drives alive.

apparently this guy ran a 4.7 40 when he weighed in at 280 and he has some experience at TE

good pickup for the Saints. it's all about not being predictable and I think Payton realizes that the NFL figured out the Saints offense after those first 5 games

Interesting info, he was actually drafted as a DE.

Lorig has played in all but one game over the past three years, with a total of 23 starts. He has 30 receptions for 193 yards and a touchdown in his career. He was drafted in the seventh round in 2010 as a defensive end before making the position switch midway through his rookie season.

Ray, You'll like this guy! I was really sorry to see him go, I was hoping we'd re-sign him. He'll do well blocking and catching the occasional ball outta the backfield while keeping drives alive.

Hope so. The feeling must have been Collins wasn't as versatile as Payton wanted. Supposedly Lorig is, and he's played other positions as well.