Devin Hester Visiting Falcons

Maybe guys who've shown they can't play in the past will get better this year.

Maybe a weak center position and a weak RT position will get better.

The problem is, this is exactly what was said last year. This was a primary reason we went 4-12 instead of 10-6. It's fixable for 4M dollars. Wouldn't you do that just for insurance?

A bad OL can take this from a ten win team to a 4 win team. It's not worth the risk. Very simply. This team goes as the pass offense goes (until we can get a great D and that takes more than a year). And the passing offense can really only be completely restricted by OL play. So, that's the lynchpin. I'd do something about it.

The problem wasn't talent, it was assessing readiness, a la TD. That's why Pioli is here. That's why Tice is here. The coaches decided who was ready. They were wrong. The coaches will decide that this year too. So, the question becomes, Do you trust Tice's assessment of the readiness of our OL?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem wasn't talent, it was assessing readiness, a la TD. That's why Pioli is here. That's why Tice is here. The coaches decided who was ready. They were wrong. The coaches will decide that this year too. So, the question becomes, Do you trust Tice's assessment of the readiness of our OL?

Tice hasn't seen these guys since what the put on film last year. He hasn't gotten to coach them. He won't get to coach them before FAs are essentially gone.

So, no, I have limited faith that he knows right now whether these guys are good or not. Even if he thought there was a 70% chance Holmes is ready to play RT...given that shabby OL play is the one main area that can pretty much submarine the entire season, wouldn't you pay 4-5M to make sure a "Clabo in his prime" calibre guy is there? Not a world beater, but a competent starter?

And then if Holmes progresses, great.

Do you trust that Tice (not known as an OL guru in the first place) has assessed the readiness of this team and determined that the guys we had here last year and Carimi are sufficient for RT and swing tackle?

I feel like I'm the only one not overly excited about this. He had some pretty pedestrian numbers as a returner last season.

The answer isn't anyone on our team, but I'm not so sure it's a 31 year old Hester either.

14.2 yards per PR and 27.6 per KR is better than anything we had last year...I'll take it.

I feel like I'm the only one not overly excited about this. He had some pretty pedestrian numbers as a returner last season.

The answer isn't anyone on our team, but I'm not so sure it's a 31 year old Hester either.

I don't know why anybody wouldn't be excited about this, we could get a proven KR/PR. We were lacking in that department since weems left?

I think what he means is we also got a proven RB with Steven Jackson and a proven pass-rusher with Osi.

With the way our oline was last season, not even the best RB could do anything. Osi is just another DE we hoped he could replace Abe.

I also like Hester as our #4 or 5 WR. Using him and JJ on long routes would be insane even if as a decoy a few times a game. White would be wide open in the middle.

Until they start pressing, which Hester has problems beating...this ain't the CFL pure speed doesn't win.

The thing to keep in mind is we don't necessarily need him to be what he once was in his hey-day.

If he is, then great. If not, he still is a solid upgrade from what we were last year....and out offense with 7-9 yards better field position on average will be even more of a problrm

Until they start pressing, which Hester has problems beating...this ain't the CFL pure speed doesn't win.

but with Julio, Roddy and to an extent HD being able to win & a healthy SJ39 he's actually a bigger threat than given credit ... and that takes a WHOLE LOT of pressure off the O-line

The thing to keep in mind is we don't necessarily need him to be what he once was in his hey-day.

If he is, then great. If not, he still is a solid upgrade from what we were last year....and out offense with 7-9 yards better field position on average will be even more of a problrm

thank you we need better field position then before and somebody more reliable.