What Would Mack's Role Be In Our 4-3 Looks?

Lornoth

I feel like there was a topic about this a while back, but i can't seem to find it, so my apologies if this has been covered.

So whether you believe we're switching to a 3-4 or not or whatever the argument is, i think we can all agree that we'll still run quite a few 4-lineman looks either way, so what would happen to Mack during these plays if we ended up drafting him?

Can he play DE? Would he switch to a 4-3 OLB? Come off the field?

I've been pondering this and would like to hear from you college guru's what exactly his skill set affords him, because he needs to be able to do something in a 4-3 pretty well for us to consider spending the #6 pick on him.

I feel like there was a topic about this a while back, but i can't seem to find it, so my apologies if this has been covered.

So whether you believe we're switching to a 3-4 or not or whatever the argument is, i think we can all agree that we'll still run quite a few 4-lineman looks either way, so what would happen to Mack during these plays if we ended up drafting him?

Can he play DE? Would he switch to a 4-3 OLB? Come off the field?

I've been pondering this and would like to hear from you college guru's what exactly his skill set affords him, because he needs to be able to do something in a 4-3 pretty well for us to consider spending the #6 pick on him.

I think Bartu would come off the field and Mack would play SAM. It'd be Spoon, Worrilow, Mack. Or spoon would move to Sam and Mack would play Will. I don't think he'd come off the field tho. He shouldn't. Maybe he could put his hand in the dirt like nicholas used to do his rookie year on obvious passing downs but I'd prefer him stay at LB.

Edited by TheFatboi

I think Bartu would come off the field and Mack would play SAM. It'd be Spoon, Worrilow, Mack. Or spoon would move to Sam and Mack would play Will. I don't think he'd come off the field tho. He shouldn't. Maybe he could put his hand in the dirt like nicholas used to do his rookie year on obvious passing downs but I'd prefer him stay at LB.

Fatboi I think a bit different I'd be putting him in position to get to the QB at every opportunity.

I would give him very little coverage responsibility if any and at any given down if he is a every down guy I'd be telling him to take aim at the QB and get him to pin his ears back every down on the field.

Fatboi I think a bit different I'd be putting him in position to get to the QB at every opportunity.

I would give him very little coverage responsibility if any and at any given down if he is a every down guy I'd be telling him to take aim at the QB and get him to pin his ears back every down on the field.

I'd keep him that way if it's a 3-4 front but if he goes to 4-3 he'll have to drop sometime. It's easier to see where the rusher is coming from in a 4-3. 3-4 you never know who's coming and if he's coming all the time even in a 4-3 it'd be too predictable. A smart qb like Brady or Manning or Brees in our division would exploit that.

Only way I'd do that is if he put his hand in the dirt in 4-3 situations but the big question is can he play DE in a 4-3? I think if rather him stand up. This is the duplicity you could get from Clowney. We know he's good with his hand in the dirt but he'd probably be even better standing up. Mario Williams was able to do both.

Edited by TheFatboi